Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • X king continental tyres
  • mlke
    Free Member

I’m looking for a tubeless crosscountry tyre which will grip in winter muck. Are these any good in goo?

Thanks in advance.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Not really, they’re a very shallow tread and the knobs on the tyre tend to break up quickly. If you’re going ghetto tubeless they’re a PITA as the moulding holes quickly leak and refuse to plug, so go UST and Black Chilli if you’re serious.

They’re ace on hardpack though, if you’re doing a mixed on/off road ride then they’re fast rolling and reasonably grippy.

mlke
    Free Member

Hmm sounds like its not the tyre for this winter.
    Any recommendations for a Winter XC tubeless tyre? I’d rather spend a few quid for something light and fast for the drier days as long as it copes with the glop days.

jambo13
    Free Member

Bontrager Mud X rear if it’s a 26″, and a Continental Baron 2.3″ up front.

If it’s a 29er anything goes as they are the mutt’s nuts!

schmiken

Rocket Ron?

PJM1974
    Free Member

The Baron is pretty good in the mud, even in the plastic, £13.99 wire bead guise they just cut through the slop.

It depends on what you want – right now I’m running Spesh Storms on my XC bike, in spite of the square knobs, they’re a viable year round tyre. They’re tubeless compatible and durable too.

My AM bike is wearing Black Chilli Rubber Queens, which roll very well indeed and seem to grip really well. I haven’t tried them in full on gloop though.

ninfan
    Free Member

Tread on the mountain king II is a lot better mud shedder than the X king.

Superficial
    Free Member

If you’re going ghetto tubeless they’re a PITA as the moulding holes quickly leak and refuse to plug, so go UST and Black Chilli if you’re serious.

Are the Mountain King IIs somehow a different carcass or something? I’ve heard your comment before about tubeless Conti so imagine my surprise when my new MKII went up super easily without an issue. Maybe they have fixed the issue?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Maybe…non-UST Contis can be leaky in my experience (2x X-Kings, an Mountain King, Rubber Queens and a Baron) but My RQs (Black Chilli) have been fine…until this morning when one developed a pin hole leak that refused to seal until I superglued the bugger.

Your mileage may well vary.

johnnystorm

FWIW my boggo race kings went up tubeless with no hassles.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘X king continental tyres’ is closed to new replies.