Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wyre Forest locals?
  • ski
    Free Member

Embarrassed to say, its been six months since I have been to the Wyre!

Got two days off this week and was wondering what’s the trials are like at the mo, muddy, any I should avoid, be aware of?

Is the Wednesday group ride still going?

Houns

Can’t remember the last time I rode there! 😳

Heavy rain yesterday and rain this morning, so I imagine it’ll be damp not a bog fest

ritchic
    Free Member

Well we rode most of the forest yesterday morning and was bone dry. So with rain yesterday and today won’t be dry anymore but can’t really imagine it gettin un rideable just yet

poonprice
    Free Member

It should be fine, its been bone dry so a little rain shouldn’t be a problem plus its mean’t to be drying up a little after today.

Don’t know about the group ride, I presume its still wednesday evening but I’ve never been along.

Six months is too long, you’ve missed some great riding in Wyre this year, probably the best/driest its been in years

ski
    Free Member

Missed most of the rain 😉 felt like I had the forest to myself, some changes but most of the magic spots were still there.

cakefacesmallblock

Well. Rode ( some of) Wyre yesterday late afternoon. It’s time to brush up those winter skills I feel.

What was grippy, fun and riding very fast up until the weekend was hideous. Largely, no doubt, due to me riding in summer gloves which just turned into wet, cold cloth bags. I’m a sweaty bugger anyway and need to treat my spec lenses too as I just couldn’t spot lines properly.
    All in all a thoroughly miserable ride.
    Ah, well, that’ll all be forgotten come the weekend !
    I’ll just get out better prepared, now the wet weather / trail memory has been rekindled !
    At least it’s been the best summer I’ve had in there for years !

ritchic
    Free Member

I agree rode it last night in the rain an it was hard work. But we were out riding so who cares. Mind you had an argument with a local that thought he owns the forest. Telling us it was private property an we are ruining the forest. Laughable though as he was in 70s on his own in dark wet woods in his slippers telling 4 of us to get away from his property swearing and pushing 2 of the group in the chest. What a Wednesday night

cakefacesmallblock

Happy days !

To be honest it’s a very long time since I have been “challenged” by anyone in there, despite there seeming to be more riders.

Here’s to a good winter’s riding anyhow !

If I can get from my desk, I may just nip up again later…..

mboy
    Free Member

Mind you had an argument with a local that thought he owns the forest. Telling us it was private property an we are ruining the forest. Laughable though as he was in 70s on his own in dark wet woods in his slippers telling 4 of us to get away from his property swearing and pushing 2 of the group in the chest

Was he moving logs and tree branches into the trails? Or worse (as I saw recently) setting up a trip wire?

There’s a local guy down there that most of us haven’t met, known only as “Stickman”… Needless to say he goes out of his way to do what he can to upset mountain bikers, by trying to get them off their bikes, fair means or foul. Several people I know would struggle to control themselves if they ever came face to face with him, as we all know people that have been injured one way or another by his illegal antics!

Scamper
    Free Member

Sounds like he is related to Stickman of Cannock – despite the rider numbers no one seems to have caught him in the act, even though he seems to have started sawing large trees onto the trails. 😯

ritchic
    Free Member

No he wasn’t laying sticks in trails or anything. But we were on a single track and came to a gate that had mesh and a bolt on the other side and could hear a dog. So I said I don’t think we should go that way and turned around. Only to find 1 of us had a puncture so we started to sort as he came through the gate shouting and swearing. Really aggressive none of us small blokes and could of got himself in a right mess but we all stayed calm an lagged at him. We hadn’t been through a gate and was still in forest. He accused me of littering as I pulled a stick out of my wheel. I was more worried he was goin to give himself a heart attack. An then it’s on our shoulders

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wyre Forest locals?’ is closed to new replies.