Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • WTB PadLoc grips
  • mikekay
    Free Member

Wish there was a solution for my spinning lock on grips…… said no one ever !

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve no sound at work, can someone explain it? It’s a half lock on with an inch of rubbery grip overhanging the end of the bar?

So the “not rotating bit” is just a half lock on?

rene59
    Free Member

Looks like you need to take a hacksaw to your bars to cut a taper on the ends. The grip inners are also tapered so they slip over your bars to match your cut. That way they can’t rotate.

Seems a bit of a faff unless they launch bars to suit, but then who wants to buy new bars just to buy a set of grips?

miketually
    Free Member

I thought that lock-on grips solved the problem of spinning grips?

devash
    Free Member

Wish there was a solution for my spinning lock on grips…… said no one ever !

+1

A solution in need of a problem if there ever was one, especially when it looks like you need to buy a specific WTB bar or hacksaw your existing one.

Surely a 30 second check to make sure that your grips are adequately torqued before a ride would suffice?

Millions of dollars in R&D and I bet they sell hardly any.

keppoch

I’d watched the video and rene59 explained what they failed to in 2min of video!

Agree, lockon grips have already greatly decreased the issue.

matt_outandabout

But I dislike the hard edge of a lockon grip – half lockon’s are great in that respect.

zelak999
    Free Member

Gotta admit though, they do look lovely……………….

shermer75
    Free Member

Trying to get that cut right on your handlebars looks like a nightmare

Stoner
    Free Member

Not to mention the effect of changing the rotation of the bars at any time will change the position of the tapered pad.

AlexSimon

I really thought you were joking about the bar-cutting thing.
    But then…

So basically, they’ll sell them to OEM at £0 so that you have to buy replacement PadLoc grips at $35

shermer75
    Free Member

Once we’ve all bought into the ones that are cut to 26° they’ll change the angle to 27.5° to help us make the trails come alive (and so we have buy all the stuff again)

thepurist

I see a gap in the market for a tapered bit of bar with an expanding bung on the end, so you can convert your padloc specific bars to run conventional grips again. This time next year I’ll be a millionaire!

johnnystorm

Bloody hell. I watched the vid and also totally missed the bevelled end. Using windowlene on silicone grips I don’t even get non lock-ons to spin, what a load of guff.

scruff
    Free Member

I think its a great idea, if it wasn’t for cutting your bars and buying into yet another proprietary system.

sillyoldman

ESI are comfortable and don’t move. No collar at outside of bar, as there’s no need for them.

Rorschach
    Free Member

My grip span round on the bar a bit once.
    Absolutely nothing bad happened.
    The end.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bar with an expanding bung on the end,

HyperEnds FTW! In period correct colorway (sic) as well!

🙂

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Late April fools?

m360
    Free Member

I don’t even get non lock-ons to spin, what a load of guff

This…until the other day. My Kona Dew (hybrid) came with foam grips. When they’re wet they slide right off 😯 However my 10+ year old Lizard Skin grips have never moved in all the years I’ve ridden with them and they don’t require bolts, hacksaws or hairspray!

scruff
    Free Member

better info on another website, specific bars and cutting tools plus other grips designs-

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/08/24/new-wtb-padlloc-grips-handlebar-standard-keeps-your-grip-from-slipping-or-rotating/

miketually
    Free Member

Who remembers wrapping fuse wire around their grips, to try to prevent slipping?

#jumpersforgoalposts

thepurist

And that, Mike, is where people started saying they were amped about a ride. The same as steam powered bikes are the origin of being stoked.

AlexSimon

miketually – Member

Who remembers wrapping fuse wire around their grips, to try to prevent slipping?

#jumpersforgoalposts
    People still do that – including pros

Rorschach
    Free Member

I still do (though a long way from pro) on DMR zip grips.I can’t abide lock ons.

unovolo
    Free Member

Wonder if they have crash tested them,
    Soft rubber gives way to nice pointy alloy(or Carbon) stick to more easily pierce your leg,neck,scrotum.

Don’t have any problems with my Superstar Silicon grips rotating never mind any lock ons I’ve had previously, definetly looks like something dreamt up by marketing rather than engineering.

thepurist

Wonder if they have crash tested them

Paging derek_starship!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘WTB PadLoc grips’ is closed to new replies.