• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wrong vehicle details coming up on car insurance database – can it be changed?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

When you’re getting car insurance quotes, you can type in your reg no. and save a lot of faffing to bring up your car details. However, when I type mine in, it brings up an almost identical, but more horsepowers model (and thus, a different insurance group).

Is this on a DVLA database or a separate database that the insurance industry uses? On the V5C registration document, the details are correct, which is fine.

Is there any way to get these details changed?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Put the car details in manually, rather than use the reg no.?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Put the car details in manually, rather than use the reg no.?

Thanks. 🙂

I’ve been doing that – just wondering that with jeez knows how many times I’ll be entering details over the next week or so, I could have it changed to save doing it manually all the bloody time.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think it would be the DVLA database (so Swansea would need to change it) rather than the MID (which your current insurers can amend details on).

khani
    Free Member

Phone somewhere up for a quote and when you give the reg and they come up with the wrong model tel em what model it is and they should might be able to correct it
    Maybe…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Phone somewhere up for a quote and when you give the reg and they come up with the wrong model tel em what model it is and they should might be able to correct it

Nah, tried that. And the guy couldn’t change it (or couldn’t be bothered).

KonaTC

All the vehicle data used by insurance companies is supplied by the DVLA who request it from motor manufactures/sellers who import/register the car when new; so if your reg no doesn’t match your car details there may be a few reasons;

a) Wrong number plate fitted when new
    b) It’s a stolen car and someone has cloned a legitimate reg number

Its more than likely a database error but I bet if you had an accident the insurance company would look not to payout citing the car/engine details and reg don’t match, head straight for a main dealer to confirm VIN/Reg/engine block/car details are correct and then inform the DVLA.

Make sure the insurance company you sign up with know there is a problem with their database, in my experience when it comes to car insurance it really pays to cover your ar$e

joemarshall
    Free Member

My car (originally a French import) used to not come up on the database, despite having been insured (off-line) for 12 years, but once I insured it using online comparison sites once, it now does.

samuri
    Free Member

My car comes up as a bog standard diesel Honda Accord which is clearly wrong.

It’s a sweet purring, hardman, fanny magnet but can I get them to change it to that? They say not.

paver456
    Free Member

think Kona tc is spot on here

go to local dvla office if you have one to speed things up if poss?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Samuri, is it a jdm ep3 or dc5? I had a dc5 and always got a diesel accord price coming up!!

MSP

go to local dvla office if you have one to speed things up if poss?

It will be quicker, simpler and a hell of a lot less frustrating to just buy a new car that comes up with the correct details than having to deal with the DVLA.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wrong vehicle details coming up on car insurance database – can it be changed?’ is closed to new replies.