Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • wrist protection?
  • thomasraelburke
    Free Member

anyone wear anything like this, opinions?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=957

i badly broke my wrist a few years back and it was a horrible compound fracture it prob took a year to heal its not 100% now. i can use it to ride just as good so function isnt a problem but i shy out of things a lot, for fear of injuring myself like that again. i think wearing a support like this would definatly have a mental if placebo effect on my confidence but would it actually help prevent a fracture?
    at the min i only wear a helmet and ride trail centres and xc no 'core' or anything

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I've just bought that very one (just recovering from a broken wrist). My wrist is far from being back to strength so its not been well tested yet (managed 2 lots of 2 mile road rides so far) but it looks reasonably sturdy and I barely noticed I was wearing it.

toys19
    Free Member

cool glad u like it becky, I am expecting delivery of these tomorrow! Currently got left wrist in plaster..

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Placebo, but placebos are good. Anything substantial enough to reduce the risk of fracturing your wrist is going to transfer the load further up your forearm + move the risk of fracture up there, avoiding the joint.

nickjb
    Free Member

I wore them after my wrist op for a year or two. They felt fairly solid but do limit grip and feel IMO. These days I wear wrist protecting gloves which offer slightly less protection but better mobility.

Do you have any evidence to back that up, Mal ec? I've heard it mentioned before but it seems unlikely and doesn't match my experience.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I actually am wearing one right now as I badly sprained my wrist on Saturday (well it was so swollen the x rays couldn't show whether it was broken or not) and it is more comfortable than the one the hospital gave me.

It feels really good, very strong and I am considering getting one for the other wrist as I badly broke that a few years back and I do worry about it.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

mal-ec thats what i was saying, as a placebo it would help my confidence man up a bit! never thought about it transfering up my arm though, a good point.

and yeah i dont really need it to help stregnth as its as strong as its gonna get and thats enough, i would be wearing it for the same purpose as say knee pads as a pre accident thing..

sparkywalts
    Free Member

I broke my wrist about 3 years ago and didnt realise it was broken for 6 months.

Due to this one of the bits of scaphoid twisted and i had to have a bone graft taken from my hip and put between the two.

Anyway i have never ridden with any wrist support. I mean yes it hurts every once in a while and you it is always in the back of your head, but if you keep riding your confidence will grow in itself. I had a season out in Whistler and some of the stuff i did out there i would of never done just after my return.

Give it time

Hope this helps

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

haha just told my 5 year old daughter what i was doing and she said "why dont you just strap on a pair!" haha i think she meant the wrist support but a good point non the less.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Do you have any evidence to back that up, Mal ec? I've heard it mentioned before but it seems unlikely and doesn't match my experience.

Treated a few snowboarders with forearm fractures who were wearing braces. They almost certainly avoided having really nasty compound colles fractures by wearing the braces. Theres some evidence out there to suggest that wrist braces reduce the likelihood of soft tissue injuries and as part of your confidence building rehab, they'll be likely to help a fair bit.

Alb
    Free Member

[/url]

These look great though not seen them in the UK

Johnboy373
    Free Member

I bought one of these today also. I've never broke my wrist but injured it about 6 months ago helping my mate slab his driveway.

I only get problems with it once I start going downhill so I bought the wrist guard to try and support my wrist better.

Hopefully it'll do the job.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

mal ec so the support saved a nasty brake but caused a less damaging fracture…i can live with that. as i say it will prob be more of a confidence thing cos at the min my wrists just feel really exposed.

those gloves look good but are prob just like putting a neoprene support over your glove.

cheers everyone i think ill order some…

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah, give me a mid bone forearm fracture over a wrist fracture any day. Anyway energy absorption is the key for protection rather than transfer so a bit of foam and plastic will slow down the rate for energy transfer from the rock to your bone which just what you need to avoid a fracture so so called transfer injuries from good protection are probably a myth.

Mine have arrived today, feel more on the comfort side of the compromise than protection but will defo help. Wish I had them 2 weeks ago.

Alphabet

The daddy of wrist braces (Warning: not cheap)

toys19
    Free Member

Looks good though.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

If you're still struggling with an old injury, have you seen GP and asked to be sent for physio, I'm thinking getting more strength into the injured wrist rather than rely upon a brace as "protection", as someone above has said it is more likely to cause the impact stress to move further up your forearm.

sweepy
    Free Member

Have a look at http://www.ski-injury.com/ for information on wrist injury/bracing.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

bloody hell that cheap warning wasnt bold enough… yeah not got that much do look like the daddys though.

missingfrontallobe – its not that i am struggling with an old injury per say, im more about preventing it from happening again…as in, like wearing knee pads to prevent an injury rather than help with a current one. basically i broke it BAD! and well, im scared i guess of it happening again. theres no way i could handle that amount of recovery time again…

Sancho
    Free Member

These are mint, I wear them for enduros and on the mountain bike after I broke my wrist

http://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/motocross_gloves/evs_motocross_gloves/evs_wrister_gloves_-_grey_slash_black

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘wrist protection?’ is closed to new replies.