Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Woy for Engerland ?
  • shadowrider
    Free Member

No, please no, not Woy. The whole country wants Hawwy Wedknapp so they speak to Woy

bloodynora
    Free Member

Just clocked that. Interesting or a yes man?! Certainly not the peoples choice as that was ‘Arry! Lots of experience though here and abroad.

warton
    Free Member

No, please no, not Woy. The whole country wants Hawwy Wedknapp so they speak to Woy

I for one do not want Redknapp.

West Ham
    Portsmouth
    Southampton

All nearly went bust. Why? because Redknapp NEEDS millions upon millions to build a team, and as he’s again proving at Spurs, he’s not very good at actually delivering results. Not great credentials for the england job, where “you can only piss with the cock you’ve got”

Hodgson can build a team on peanuts, and can do this very well, proving he’s a genuine manager, knows tactics, knows how to get his players playing. best man for the job IMO.

MSP

If they appointed arry, the first sniff of failure and the press would have been all over his dodgy dealings, the FA would have looked even bigger fools than they usually do.

In reality there are probably only 3 managers in the world who could get the England team to perform better than the sum of the parts (ferguson mourinho and pep, and I am not sure what pep will do away from barca).

Hodgson will be OK, nothing much will be expected and nothing much will be delivered.

PrinceJohn

Just do the obvious thing – give it to Harry on a temporary basis for the Euros, get him on a Venablesesque spirit, England go out heroically due to tactical naivety.

Appoint Mourinho after he quits Madrid & watch the sparks fly after the world cup campaign gets off to a less than auspicious start.

edhornby

Roy has a good track record with underskilled groups and getting the best out of them, with internatonal experience

‘Arry has a good track record with a cheque book to go out and find underrated players to fit into a team – Arry’s cheque book management won’t be any use with a national team

MSP

Roy has a good track record with underskilled groups

But Liverpool was too big an ask 😆

john_drummer
    Free Member

silk purse, sow’s ear I’m afraid. Let Woy have a go, he can’t make a worse mess of it than Capello

Garry_Lager

Uncle Roy’s cv is considerably stronger than Harry’s, but his time at Liverpool showed he can’t deal with big time charlies. And that’s just a few of them – a whole squad of arseholes will overwhelm him.

Harry’s over-rated by and large, but he does seem to have the right sort of man-management personality. He’s not a Capello-style autocrat who’s going to dictate the number of peas on each players plate at the team dinner. But he’s not a pushover like Pearce – he can lay down the law when needed.
    Be interesting to see if he’d be bold in his selections, or if it would be the same old cauldron of shite. Redknapp developed some superb young players at West Ham.

muggomagic

I don’t believe the England team need a tactical genius as manager (they had that in Capello) they need a manager that has the respect of the players and can motivate them. We have already seen that Roy Hodgson hasn’t got the respect of top players as he clearly struggled at Liverpool. I still think that of the rumoured 6 shortlisted, Harry Redknapp is probably the best choice. Yes he has near enough bankrupted every club he’s been at, but you can hardly blame him for spending the money he’s been given. He’s always done pretty well with that money. Did really well at West Ham. Kept Portsmouth in the premier league with an unbelievable run and won the FA cup, will most likely get 4th for Spurs this season.
    I hope the FA are just interviewing at this stage, as I think Roy Hodgson will be hounded out of the job after a few dodgy results.

LeeW

If Roy doesn’t have the respect of the players I’m pretty sure he’ll not pick them for the squad.

I really don’t think the fans and the press will give the guy a chance. He does well at clubs like WBA, Fulham et al where the they over acheive and the fans/press love him.

matthewjb
    Free Member

As a Spurs fan this is great news.

Harry does like to spend but he also likes to coach. The England job wouldn’t give him the day to day contact with the players that he enjoys.

He seems to be able to manage with fragile egos of a team of stars (apart from Darren Bent). Hopefully Hodgson will do the same for England

yossarian
    Free Member

It actually doesn’t matter who gets the job. It’s not like we are serious contenders to win anything at present.

Hodgson = maclaren mk2
    Arry = El Tel mk2

Whoever gets the job will have a shit time and win nothing. My vote is Holloway, at least it would be funny.

matthewjb
    Free Member

muggomagic – Member
    I hope the FA are just interviewing at this stage, as I think Roy Hodgson [whoever gets it] will be hounded out of the job after a few dodgy results.

Fixed that for you.

In reality I think the press will turn on whoever gets it. The England manager is just viewed as something to generate headlines by the tabloids. Our last few campaigns have all been, as least partly, hampered by the press’s attacks on players and the manager.

CaptJon
    Free Member

The FA want someone who can do more than just pick the senior squad and take them to tournaments. They want someone who can help develop the whole system. Hodgson is clearly more qualified to do this than Redknapp.

As a Pompey fan i am torn. Part of me wants Redknapp to get it so the media really examines him, but i’ve experienced his methods and they are good for the teams he is involved with. He’s isn’t very good tactically or at coaching, and is terrible when it comes to developing younger players.

totalshell

i ll only live so long why do the fa keep appointing no bodies i d like to see em win sommat! italia 90 the best shot we had.. and now Woy ..

muggomagic

The England coach will not be there to develop the whole system. They are to appoint someone as a technical director who will be responsible for that (rumoured to be Gareth Southgate), who is going to work alongside Trevor Brooking. The England coach will solely responsible for the performance of the senior squad.

matthewjb
    Free Member

The England coach will solely responsible for the performance of the senior squad.

Short appointment then.

trevh
    Free Member

Im an West brom fan so would prfer him to stop with us. but if your going to lose a manager lose it to the england job. he will be a better manager than rednapp who only looks after one person himself and would walk if he lost a couple of games. good luck to roy but it looks like championship football season after next again for albion as there are some shite managers out there. ho hum.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

My vote is Holloway, at least it would be funny.

LOL, very true!

neninja
    Free Member

Hodgson has a great record as a turd polisher – that’s sadly what is needed for England.

Harry has a great record when he can blow tons of cash to get good players. A luxury not available as national manager.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I’ve lost all interest in watching the footie this year, being a Leeds Utd fan doesn’t help btw.

More quiet time for riding while everyone’s watching the England matches.

relliott6879
    Free Member

wartonMember

I for one do not want Redknapp.

West Ham
    Portsmouth
    Southampton

All nearly went bust. Why? because Redknapp NEEDS millions upon millions to build a team, and as he’s again proving at Spurs, he’s not very good at actually delivering results….

National sides don’t buy players though, they just borrow the best available from their relevant clubs and give them back (more often that not, broken!) afterwards. Surely Harry would be ideal in this position, where he can cherry pick whoever he likes?

With regard to Spurs’ poor recent form, incidentally, I truly believe that is due to the uncertainty and speculation over Harry’s future. They were doing pretty damn well before Capello was sacked, if the FA were never going to approach Harry then I think they’ve done Spurs an injustice by not saying so at the outset.

MSP

if the FA were never going to approach Harry

He was clearly on the list, and he will have been informally interviewed at some stage. I wouldn’t be surprised if it comes out later that negotiations took place and he asked for more than the FA was willing to give.

The deal will have been agreed before the announcement to avoid looking like they have been turned down if it goes sour.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Hodgson: managed sixteen teams in eight countries, has served as a member of UEFA & FIFA technical study groups and speaks five languages.

Redknapp: managed a handful of teams in England, semi-literate wheeler-dealer, barely speaks English.

Hard choice…….

binners

If they let Stuart Pearce carry on, he might do a De Matteo and surprise everyone by doing better than the supposed ‘Savior’

He’s managed the under 21’s successfully, so he’d be keen to play the youngsters instead of the usual pack of prima donna has-beens, who’ve consistently failed to deliver for years. Weighed down as they are with their own enormous ego’s, and the shear mass of their own ****ishness. Can anyone else stand to see John ****ing Terry, Ashley Cole, Gerrard and Lampard take to the pitch in England shirts again? Seriously?

I do think that this utter shambles has removed the absolutely ludicrous level of expectation though. Which has to be a good thing. A bit of reality won’t go amiss for a change

mashiehood
    Free Member

Albert Einstein Quotes. Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

gooner69

Forgetting the victims (Liverpool) who never gave him a chance at all. Hodgson`s record is far superior to the twitcher.
    Harry only gets teams so far by throwing money at them, when that cash limit is reached he has no ideas left. Look at the current spurs team and think about how it will shape up next year?? Modric will go, Bale also most likely, Ade will have to go back and they wont be anywhere near this years level. Fair play to Levy for keeping a tight rein on him, he has noted the damge Harry can do if left unchecked.

RH might not be the media favourite but most unblinkered fans can see he is a solid choice in a field of very few candidates.

Blackhound

If Roy goes to England and Mcleish gets sacked from the Villa after taking them down he could go to WBA. What a hattrick that could be!

binners

Steve Keen should be available in a couple of weeks. I reckon he could out-McClaren McClaren

Actually….. knowing the FA, it wouldn’t surprise me

yossarian
    Free Member

Actually my opinion of hodgson has softened slightly.

If he can utilise our pretty meagre resources properly, RH will produce a defensive but pacy team that will probably achieve its natural level of quarter finalists.

No-one else would do any better and expectations will be lower than if HR was in post.

Pearce is far too honest to manage the egos, he’ll nevewr be more than an assistant.

Junkyard
    Free Member

A manager can only do so much and must work with what they are given at International level as there are no new players to be brought in.

I am not sure than Harry is the tactical man management genius people think he is and view him more as Keegan type character…emotional , not brilliant tactically but popular.

Roy has the experience and that is surely a key factor at International level- either way the team will continue to achieve exactly what the sum of their collective talents *[ mid table Internationally speaking] whilst the baying public ignore the vastly superior teams and records of countries like Spain. Brazil, Germany , Holland etc and hark back to the time they once one it at home

I don’t think roy will be any better or any worse than any other contender but as noted above he is more likely to polish a turd and far more capable of leaving something in place that will bear fruit on coming years [ ie develop the structure and the training regime] …naturally I prefer Harry 😉

*only Rooney and Cole would make a European squad never mind team [ Gerrard would have in his prime and perhaps Rio – terry would not play for any other country as they prefer players who can defend rather than lead men and throw themself at the ball when they are woefully out of position to actually defend properly]

the reality is England are not actually that good whoever manages them

soobalias
    Free Member

so the FA said they would speak to a few people

they have now leaked the name of one person they want to speak to.

non-story innit?

Garry_Lager

gooner69 – Member

Forgetting the victims (Liverpool) who never gave him a chance at all. Hodgson`s record is far superior to the twitcher.
    Harry only gets teams so far by throwing money at them, when that cash limit is reached he has no ideas left. Look at the current spurs team and think about how it will shape up next year?? Modric will go, Bale also most likely, Ade will have to go back and they wont be anywhere near this years level. Fair play to Levy for keeping a tight rein on him, he has noted the damge Harry can do if left unchecked.In terms of throwing money at teams – Harry didn’t buy Modric or Bale, and both were seriously underachieving before he got there. Bale in particular was a laughing stock – how long did he go before being on a winning Spurs side? They would now be considered elite players – Harry deserves credit there.

I’d like to see him give it a go tbh. You think back to the last ‘man manager’ England had though, Keegan, and it was disastrous.

RustySpanner

Neil Warnock – c’ mon, just think of the possibilities!

Spying on the opposition, arranging fights with stroppy fans and complete and utter dedication, providing we play all our home fixtures at Bramall Lane.

gooner69

In terms of throwing money at teams – Harry didn’t buy Modric or Bale, and both were seriously underachieving before he got there. Bale in particular was a laughing stock – how long did he go before being on a winning Spurs side? They would now be considered elite players – Harry deserves credit there.

I’d like to see him give it a go tbh. You think back to the last ‘man manager’ England had though, Keegan, and it was disastrous.

Obviously a spud fan Garry 8)My point about throwing money at things was that he only tends to look at a short term position, as opposed to longer term building of a “club” ask any Portsmouth fan what they feel about him these days. Not suggesting hes a bad football manager, merely that his record isnt as good as the hype would suggest. What he does have is a good media profile and cheeky persona that appears to be making the media believe hes some sort of messiah.

Personally i think if he took the job (He had to have been approached) it wouldnt have been long before they turned on him (like they do with everybody else) and started raking up all sorts of issues and the FA would be left looking foolish again.

donsimon
    Free Member
    ransos
    Free Member

He’s isn’t very good tactically or at coaching, and is terrible when it comes to developing younger players

Like Rio Ferdinand, Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, Michael Carrick, Glen Johnson and Jermain Defoe?

uwe-r
    Free Member

The England problem over recent years has been as much with the players as the manager. Good individually but completely unable to form a cohesive unit and bring club form to the pitch. If you go back to the last world cup and look at Rooney he was like a pub player and the rest were not much better. Joey Barton got it right when he said they were all more interested in their books:

“England did nothing in the World Cup, why are they bringing books out? ‘We got beat in the quarter-finals, I played like shit, here’s my book’. Who wants to read that? I don’t”

The proof of the pudding will be the squad / team selection. Does he pick the players the Sun/Mirror expect or does he put together a team of solid professionals who can work together.

I don’t rate Redknap but I doubt Woy will shake it up to the extent required but who would.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Woy for Engerland ?’ is closed to new replies.