Home Forums Chat Forum Would you still buy a Nukeproof Bike ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Would you still buy a Nukeproof Bike ?
  • benjamin_mtb
    Free Member

After all that has happened in the last couple months with Nukeproof no longer there to provide a warranty after CRC has switched hands.

Would you buy new or second hand or would you just buy a different brand where spares are readily available like Trek, Specialized and Santa Cruz ?

jamiemcf

I’d go for a company with some form of backup

Kramer
    Free Member

I’d buy a hardtail if it was a decent price. I would be very wary about buying a full sus or e-bike.

finbar
    Free Member

Hardtail yep, without question, full sus, probably not unless it was a super deal.

diggery
    Free Member

Yes. I did. Got one for my kid. They were such good value it was worth the risk – the sum of the parts were much higher than the cost of any one bit.

As above, not sure about a full suspension, having had issues with another brand, and heard of issues on NP, unless the price was right.

mashr

At fire sale prices – I did. Also factored in the possible cost of future repairs.
    Otherwise – pass.

a11y

Same as others. Hardtail yes, full-susser no – potential for a simple unavailable part rendering an otherwise good frame useless.

airvent
    Free Member

Nope, neither hardtail nor full suspension.

nuke

Yep (and Vitus) but at the right price ie cheap…bangernomics principles apply given no warranty & lack of spares; they’re good bikes so if i were to get a couple of years + out of them, brilliant

funkmasterp

Username and answer makes me suspicious

nukeproof
    Free Member

The mistrust on this forum 😞

I agree with nuke btw

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll take a nice carbon frame for a few hundred, swap my stuff over and use my current alu one for spares in case of failure :)

Northwind

Hardtail I’d have no worries, full suss I’d be a wee bit more worried about spare parts, I tend to keep bikes a long time.

Garry_Lager

I got a mega in the firesale with the idea it wouldn’t see much mileage / wear and tear – a week in the Alps, odd uplift / enduro here and there etc.

This might not be the cleverest plan, as unridden bikes bring their own issues, but it’s been fine thus far. If it was going to be my main ride and I did a ton of DH, I’d look elsewhere.

Oblongbob

Similar. Got a Giga in the sale with 50+% off. If it breaks, so be it.

davosaurusrex

I was in Biketart the other week and they had some Nukeproofs in there, they said they’d have to process any warranty claims on frames by way of a refund.

chakaping

I’d be wary of the frames which are known to be a bit cracky, was it the carbon Mega and the Giga?

Metal frames, I’d take a punt.

And TBH maybe even the carbon ones if cheap enough to factor in potential carbon repair costs.

nwgiles

Yes, I bought my son a metal Mega.

if the components break/wear that’s normal, the only warranty is frame and that is only 2years.

molgrips
    Free Member

if the components break/wear that’s normal, the only warranty is frame and that is only 2years.

It’s not just about warranty. You might crack a linkage or strip the threads on the flip chip etc and you won’t be able to buy a replacement.

nwgiles

It’s not just about warranty. You might crack a linkage or strip the threads on the flip chip etc and you won’t be able to buy a replacement.

its a good shout,

That’s why I went wild and have 3 sets of all spares for my Dissent, and 2 sets for the mega

mashr

You might crack a linkage or strip the threads on the flip chip etc and you won’t be able to buy a replacement.

Ascend Components currently have loads of different kits that they’ve just started supplying.

I just stick a fiver in a pot every ride, that’s my carbon repair insurance fund. Even if it splits into a pile of dust, the value of the components on the bike made the frame essentially free

molgrips
    Free Member

Ascend Components

Are they making these or just managing to buy them up? Either way, I hope it works out as I may need them in future. I reckon they should do a crowdfunder to let them buy up as much stock as possible and/or reproduce. I’d donate.

That’s why I went wild and have 3 sets of all spares for my Dissent, and 2 sets for the mega

Bit selfish, no?

nickc

There’s so many other bike companies on the market, why would you bother?

tall_martin

I’d be treating it as a second hand purchase with no warranty and paying for it appropriately.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s so many other bike companies on the market, why would you bother?

Admittedly I bought mine before we knew they were going down, but I bought because it was really really cheap.

joefm

I’m in this situation with my bikes.  Hoping someone will be able to make up some bolts etc but for any major issues i’ll be looking at  a new frame.  which is just about acceptable as the parts value is greater than the whole bike.

Really depends on the deal though!

mashr

Are they making these or just managing to buy them up? Either way, I hope it works out as I may need them in future. I reckon they should do a crowdfunder to let them buy up as much stock as possible and/or reproduce. I’d donate.

Think he’s managed to get supply from the far east. Certainly started getting the parts after the fire sale was done and dusted

I was very tempted by the Gigawatt when they had a sale. Regret not giving it a punt to be honest.

mert
    Free Member

Bit selfish, no?

Errrr, no? I bought 3 spare hangers for my road bike. They were *only* made by the manufacturer of the frame, and only fitted three frames that they made (in low volumes, less than 3000 of each, ever, all sizes). That manufacturer went bankrupt ~15 years ago, i still have a lovely lightweight race machine and one hanger left.

Bit selfish, no?

Isn’t every bike purchase you make? As in, buying to suit your need?

molgrips
    Free Member

Buying something that’s in production where you can reasonably expect more to be made is not selfish.

But when you know there is not likely to be more made, and you are buying stuff you don’t need but you might in future just to stop anyone else getting their hands on it – yeah, a bit selfish.  If I have to replace my bike (or probably just not ride it because I couldn’t afford a replacement) because I can’t get a spare part, when someone else is sitting on a pile of them that they probably will never use, I’ll be pissed off.

el_boufador

Well I bought a Vitus knowing they were going to go under.

Very very good and very very cheap. (£1 fish)

Excellent parts worth waaaaay more than the cost of the bike. I’ll just accept it if it snaps.

Then to mitigate any future snappage I went and bought a nukeproof frame ( 🤣 ) to bring into service (proper rock bottom price – only cost me less than RRP on the rear shock!)

(Well actually I do have other future usages in mind, but snap mitigation was part of the logic)

If I get only a couple of years out of each then I’ll be very happy. Any more is bonus.

alpin
    Free Member

because I can’t get a spare part, when someone else is sitting on a pile of them that they probably will never use,

Put up a wanted PSA als squeeze your fingers.

Free market at work.

molgrips
    Free Member

That would only reach a fairly limited number of people. There isn’t a reverse eBay is there?

Not a bad idea though.

If I have to replace my bike (or probably just not ride it because I couldn’t afford a replacement) because I can’t get a spare part, when someone else is sitting on a pile of them that they probably will never use, I’ll be pissed off.

First world problems I guess. On the topic of sinking brands, somebody somewhere is going to be disappointed as there is finite stock. Same as anyone that has a bike where the company no longer manufactures spares. That’s the gamble you take.

Being ‘selfish’ and ensuring that your investment is protected is sensible use of your time and money.

Just not according to you because you happen to be on the other side of the fence.

dyna-ti

Wouldn’t it also be the case of any bike you bought 2nd hand would also be subject to risks of breaking or cracking or whatever.

chrismac

I would be more inclined to buy a new one. Purely because in the Uk your warranty is with the retailer and not the manufacturer so you would be protected that way from warranty issues. How a retailer would deal with it I dont know but I presume those retailers have a plan if they are happy to still sell the product, even if that plan is sell the stock we have and hope for the best.

kelvin

Agreed… bought new from a shop you know will look after you..? That’s fine, even for full sus. Second hand with no reliable source for spares or repairs…? Hardtails only then.

nickjb
    Free Member

I bought a Vitus in the fire sale. It was cheaper than I could find anything similar second hand so I’m happy to not have a warranty. Also bought 2 mech hangers (sorry). If something breaks then I’ll fix it myself or just have to write it off. I’ve only had one frame fail in 30+ years so not too worried

chakaping

How a retailer would deal with it I dont know

See above, Bike Tart are saying they’ll refund if unable to serve a warranty claim.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.