Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Would you do a work trip to Tel Aviv?
  • Cletus

I have been asked by my boss to spend a few days in Tel Aviv installing a system for a news agency as part of a worldwide rollout.

The FCO website has warnings about using public transport but does not say not to go.

I am in two minds about this. I would not get any extra payment and my boss has indicated that I would not get any special treatment expenses wise so I would need to find somewhere for less than £100/night.

Would you accept this or would you insist on sufficient expenses to stay at a large chain hotel (e.g. Holiday Inn) and to have the ok to use taxis arranged by the hotel rather than the cheaper option of finding one in the street.

I do not want to be obstructive but equally do not want to be exposed to even a small risk.

I have already refused to do a similar job in the Ukraine!

jamj1974

In a word – no.

allthepies
    Free Member

The expenses thing seems bad, I’d expect a reasonable per-diem allowance while I was out there.

I’d probably go but as you’ve said “do not want to be exposed to even a small risk” then it’s not for you I think.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just object on political grounds. You don’t want to be involved in trade with that murderous regime anyway.

bruneep

I would not get any extra payment and my boss has indicated that I would not get any special treatment expenses wise so I would need to find somewhere for less than £100/night.

Eh? Do they not like you or have you pissed them off previously?

Jog on would be my reply.

m0rk
    Free Member

Agree, expenses policy seems outdated… It’s rare I can find a ‘business’ hotel for sub £100

Also, per diems, even for personal out of pocket expenses seems reasonable (you won’t get rich out of it…)

Onzadog
    Free Member

No, I wouldn’t go. Your company don’t seem overly helpful about it before, how helpful do you think they’d be if something did go wrong?

allthepies
    Free Member

Rather presumptuous of you.

MoreCashThanDash

We have relatives in Israel.

Statistically the chances of you being in the wrong place at the wrong time are very small.

That said, I’d expect to use contacts out there to stay at a place they consider secure, stuff the cost. And check your insurance cover. I can understand refusing the Ukraine, I can understand you being concerned at Israel, glad I don’t have that kind of job.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do you frequently work out o foreign lands ?

Whts your company security office saying ? Not got one ? Dont go your boss is chancing his arm.

Oh and workin abroad outwith job scope for no extra.

No dice.

project
    Free Member

been there on holiday, high security in heathrow airport, and getting of the plane at israels airport, but the people are freindly helpful and chatty, lots of young lads and girls all dressed as soldiers walking and riding the buses with rifles, top tip, dont sit on a seat opposite someone with a rifle lying across there legs, always make sure rifle is pointing upwards, they have live ammo in we where told,felt no threat off anyone, but the security guys at most bus stops and train stations, make our security guards look like play school ones, but say hello and theyre freindly ,beuutiful looking ladies as well, finally cocca cola is called cola not coke, which has a diferent meaning, and makes you not welcome in the first bar we visited, go enjoy yourself, look at the bomb shelters in the hotels,and public places, oh and its very hot.

oldboy
    Free Member

No

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d love to but that sounds like a shit deal

ploeb
    Free Member

i went for a holiday last year, nice beach in the city and you can rent a city bike easy too. Go ahead you’ll be fine. Lots of amazing history, 1 hour bus ride to Jerusalem, can visit Bethlehem, dead sea etc if you feel like it and you have a spare weekend.

sands
    Free Member

This might be helpful for general information and hotels.

Lonely Planet

you can rent a city bike easy too

Tel-o-Fun

Cletus

Thanks for the responses. I do a few international trips a year but my work is mainly UK based.

I am glad that other people think the £100/night hotel policy is outdated – if only my company would agree.

I do feel a bit bad about not going somewhere there is not a high level of threat so I think I will say that I will go if they meet my expectations for expenses. One other thing does having an Israeli stamp in your passport cause any issues when travelling to places like Morocco, Egypt etc? – I vaguely remember reading that was the case many years ago.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d go tbh. I’d feel distinctly uncomfortable helping put any money in that government’s pockets.

allthepies
    Free Member

Even though the work is for a news agency ?

allthepies
    Free Member

You can ask for the entry stamp to be placed on a separate bit of paper rather than in your passport (well you could when I went there in 2000).

cranberry
    Free Member

I am in two minds about this. I would not get any extra payment and my boss has indicated that I would not get any special treatment expenses wise so I would need to find somewhere for less than £100/night.

My attitude would be “talk to me again when you value my security and well-being”. They might find someone willing to do it for no extra cash, in which case it is no longer a problem for you.

jota180
    Free Member

I don’t see it as a great security risk but – as others- I’d want better financials

dannybgoode

Ask your boss how many people have turned down his kind offer before you.

As others have said I wouldn’t go for £!00 p/n and would be uncomfortable for polictical / moral reasons. Regardless of whether it is news agency or whatever the Israeli government is still benefitting from a) the company being there and b) anyone who stays there on business or holidays.

luffy105
    Free Member

As said before. I’d be happy to go but until they get real on the expenses I’d tell them to poke it. I’d want a good enough hotel with a decent bar and restaurant so if I didn’t feel safe upon arrival I could happily hole up in there for a couple of days and leave only to do the job. Also would want transport to and from the hotel sorted before arrival. I’m sure Tel Aviv would be fine and I’d love to go and have a look around but on my first visit I’d like to think my firm gave enough of a crap about me to at least consider my safety.

My last firm used to send us out and about and we always had International SOS cover, decent hotel and a driver to meet us at arrivals. After that it was up to our judgement

somouk
    Free Member

I travel the world a lot for work and wouldn’t for that deal.

I’d want the closest hotel to the job that is known for taking in foreigners, a sensible expenses policy and work insurance policy that covers things that may kick off.

Make sure you gen up on the location of embassys, routes to and from secure locations and travel options out of the country. Keep some cash handy too just incase.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As trail rat and luffy said.

I’ve worked abroad often in the past. It sounds to me like your boss isn’t going to be much use if something bad happens, which may be unlikely but isn’t impossible.

Onzadog
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/kY7qGRhWcCo[/video]

cornholio98
    Free Member

I have worked out of Tel Aviv (last time during a spate of missle/morter exchanges) and it is a nice place if you don’t mind that sort of thing.

There are risks and I can’t imagine any (sensible) international company would have a policy that lets you use public transport or in fact just lets you hails cabs in the street in that region.

If you are limited to 100GBP a night on hotel you won’t be somewhere very nice. I think ours was around $200-700 depending on the day of the week or time of year. A meal for 2 may come to more than $100 and the will chase you down the street if the tip is not to their liking!

If it was all expenses paid and you could take an extra day to see Jerusalem I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the place or the politics of the region.

For me unless you are getting a benefit in terms of extra money, securing a promotion, getting a mini holiday which it doesn’t sound like you will be you will end up out of pocket which is not the best way to be.

jam-bo

I’d go but not under those terms. I’d expect a company credit card, a very good insurance policy and no limit on what I could spend other than a ‘don’t take the piss’ directive.

Which as it happens, I do.

nim

I’d go at the drop of a hat but not under those terms. You raise good questions about accommodation and travel arrangements. Unfortunately Tel Aviv isn’t cheap and that budget isn’t going to get you much.

Tel Aviv is a great city for bars, restaurants etc. As mentioned above the people in the main are friendly. The security at the airport etc is tight, you’ll get grilled but just roll with it and it’ll be fine. Day trip to Jerusalem recommended also.

I’ve spent a lot if time there over the years and always felt safe walking through the city at night etc unlike some UK town centres at night with drunk **** looking for a scrap.

I’d ask your boss/firm where you can stay/eat/travel for that budget in Tel Aviv. It sounds like a shame as it is a potential opportunity to get out to somewhere new but if they’re not going to play ball and sort it to a decent level, pass.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Jam bo, you have those things or you take the piss?

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Been a few times (multinational company, so don’t get a choice).

Notwithstanding the politics, it’s a pretty decent place to be, especially if you’re in a hotel on the seafront, which is not cheap. As above, I wouldn’t take the buses, but have used taxis without any issues. £100 a night won’t get you much.

I also really like the food. It’s a vibrant, young country, which is a change from the UK (again, politics aside – seen some idiots flaunting M16s in Arab areas – I know it’s their country, but some common sense wouldn’t go amiss).

Flaperon

I go every couple of months with work, and was out there during the recent fighting. Didn’t bother me, although I did get woken up one night by sirens and ended up in the hotel basement for 20 minutes.

I’ve stayed in the centre near the defence building and out on the coast. Both are fine, but the coast obviously slightly safer from rocket strikes.

Their airport security is slightly over-the-top but ultimately far better than the UK. You’re profiled but can take pretty much anything onto the plane provided it’s not a weapon (so no liquid restrictions).

Would check your travel insurance covers (a) Israel and (b) travel for work before leaving though.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

My company refused to send staff there recently. Why they let Isreal in EU projects in the first place is beyond me.

chakaping
    Free Member

presumptuous of you

More of an educated guess as to which news organisations might have an office in tel Aviv requiring that kind of work.

I wouldn’t go on principle, but the op is free to make up his own mind based on morals or fear.

nowthen
    Free Member

Has to be a nice hotel in my opinion… having got stuck there 3 extra days once when they started launching rockets in the city and all flights where cancelled!

cornholio98
    Free Member

Why they let Isreal in EU projects in the first place is beyond me

Because they can’t run them from the offices in the Middle East… The clients in Israel don’t want the information going there and the Governments there don’t want to export skills the other way.

woody21
    Free Member

Sorry – no

jools182
    Free Member

Not a chance

They’re not even offering a cash incentive for risking it. Be as hard faced as they are

br
    Free Member

Would you accept this or would you insist on sufficient expenses to stay at a large chain hotel (e.g. Holiday Inn) and to have the ok to use taxis arranged by the hotel rather than the cheaper option of finding one in the street.

This.

I had the same thing after doing a job in Africa, and got a load of 5h1t for my expenses.

Next time they asked I refused, let some other fool do it and I’ll go to Newcastle (or equivalent) instead of them.

nparker

Have worked previously in Israel and was always put up in a decent hotel on the beach and provided with a driver to take me to and from place of work – I’d like to say I deserve it because I’m some sort of high-flying diplomat but in reality just another IT consultant. Regardless of your views on Israel’s foreign policy and politics the reality, in my experience, is that the people on the ground are very friendly, the food and the weather lovely and if you stay a week-end I hear there’s some good riding to be had. Make sure you sample the Tel Aviv night life too – they know how to party but don’t expect to get much work done the next day :0

That said, if I was offered your terms (in any country) I would tell them to take a hike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Would you do a work trip to Tel Aviv?’ is closed to new replies.