Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

He’d be right if he did…

Northwind

PSYCH!

(I like the JJ but not for mud, 4.8 is better than the 4.0 but they’re both bad)

NormalMan

Holyzeus – Member

Anyway if you’ve been sitting on the fence wondering for years like me or a hater just try one, its brilliant

Thanks.
    Really good stuff. Hope you continue to enjoy.

I’m well and truly wonderful I over by fat bikes. I have a Pugsley myself. Originally bought as a winter bike but ridden enough that my other bikes have seen little action this year.

Really tempted to get a Dune for the Mrs. She has an older Spesh Myka 26er but rarely rides. I just think the added stability and comfort of a fat bike would appeal to her.

Edit to say: my 2 fat bike owner recommendations would be mudguards and a pressure gauge.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Cheers, i have a pressure guage. There was quite a difference between the two tyres from the shop and the stem needed straightening. When it was straight the forks were pointing to one o’clock..

babble
    Free Member

thanks for the info Nothwind. i guess this is one you got? http://www.highonbikes.com/drivetrain/chainsets-mtb/race-face-ride-fat-bike-crankset-bb.html?gclid=CM7wgbOHtc8CFU63GwodbggByg

anyway, i think i will wait to get the bike, try it and maybe try and adapt the existing crank if i want to go 1×11.

Northwind

I got the Aeffects, they’re really nice. TBH the original ones were fine, bit heavy, I accidentally trashed mine by not doing up a bolt enough 😳 I’d forgotten how to square taper.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I wish I did get commission of Topcashback 😆 , but for today only, they are doing a 20% boost on normal cashback levels.

So Go Outdoors is 8.4% today https://www.topcashback.co.uk/gooutdoors/

Makes your new shiny Dune that little bit cheaper, ~£457. 😉

Or your Wazoo with Halfords 3.6% cashback ~£482.

Or your Fatty Trail with PX 3% (excluding VAT mark-up) ~£975.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Northwind is spot on – I went with 170mm width Aeffect’s and they fit perfectly. I even managed to source a 100mm Hope BB spacer tube from my LBS so that I could run my Hope BB as it was intended.

For those commenting on the Dune’s controls – the bar/seatpost/BB/gears each weigh a ton – I think they’re made from lead or something.
    The box of bits I have stripped off the Dune certainly raises eyebrows when picked up..
    Switching components for lighter/wider/sexier alternatives means my Dune now weighs within a pound of my ‘normal’ (650b) steel hardtail – including adding a dropper post, and im yet to run mine tubeless.

babble
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips chaps!

Mine has been shipped and I should get it early next week. I also just got my £100.99 refunded from Go Outdoors due to the price drop (which they gave me even though I had ordered it before it happened.)

Slim: when you say “my Dune now weighs within a pound of my ‘normal’ (650b) steel hardtail” how much is that?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Babble, how long did it take to get refunded by Topcashback?

babble
    Free Member

That hasn’t happened yet. It just says “pending”, but I only paid for the bike in the last few days (Go Outdoors don’t take the money until it is shipped) so I am expecting to wait a few more days. It says up to three weeks on the topcashback site. Meanwhile they have sent me about 10,000 emails, so they are getting their money’s worth for my rebate….

(There is no such thing as a free lunch – that’s what my dad always used to say…)

babble
    Free Member

update: my bike has crossed the channel and..

10 Arrived at Delivery Facility in BRUSSELS – BELGIUM BRUSSELS – BELGIUM 05:09

1 Piece

….now the slow bit begins – getting it from Brussels to my house in Brussels….

babble
    Free Member

topcashback update:

Earnings
    Pending £36.68 Confirmed £0.00 Payable £0.00 Claimed £0.00 Declined £0.00

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I hope you let someone refer you as a friend if you were new to tcb, gives the existing member a little bonus, which is double over this weekend. 😉

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Looks like i’ve been shafted by Topcashback, i’ve raised it with them which they don’t make easy
    Anyway, frame protection on, rear brake adjusted, old Mega front brake on i had in the spares box.
    Grips and pedals on way from Superstar, used crankset and n/w on way and on the lookout for stem/bars/seatpost 🙂

stanfree
    Free Member

Hi folks , Im just wondering if any other Dune owners have had problems with the rear Maxle. I changed the horrible green rim strips last week and had a hell of a job getting the maxle to tighten. Is there a knack ot this.? Also in two minds whether to keep my Dune and upgrade or sell it on and get something else. Has anyone ever upgraded the fork to a carbon one and If so what are the options . Thanks for any advice.

babble
    Free Member

amazing photo stan! just brilliant.

i’m not sure what a maxel is, but selling the bike becasue you cant tighten something up seems a fairly drastic approach. i exepct a bike shop, or even Go Outdoors, would probably do it for you for free, or replace the faulty part.

stanfree
    Free Member

Hi Babble , thanks for the reply . Yup I think ill head back to go outdoors with the bike. I wasn’t thinking of selling because of the wee problem but maybe just thinking of getting a better frame before upgrading. Im not saying there is anyhting wrong with the dune but like the look of those Nextie wheels and If Im going to upgrade i’d like to do so with a frame colour I like. Im sure the maxxle is an easy fix.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Love that picture. I did notice Sunday that my front maxle was loose, probably me though.
    Can you not just get the frame sprayed? I’m no expert but isn’t the appeal of the Dune partially down to the frame?

slimjim78
    Free Member

check that your derailleur hanger is properly tightened..

and try installing the rear axle without the wheel in situ. should instantly give you a good idea of whats not working.

babble
    Free Member

the Dune won over the Voodoo Wazoo for me because of the through axels, their spacing, the 5″ potential, the tappered steerer, the very similar frame to the Scott big john worth 2x more (which shares the same hanger), and the fact it sort of glows in the dark – how cool is that!

in other news, it would have been delivered today, but i was at work (imagine that) and they couldn’t give me any estimate of what time they might deliver it, even ‘morning’ or ‘afternoon’, so i couldn’t go back to wait for it.

i should get mine on wednesday. can’t wait.

Northwind

The axle’s pretty simple but like slimjim says, make sure the hanger is tight or it could move around and make it hard to thread (the original Dunes had too-short hanger bolts but that should be fixed now, still worth checking for tightness though). Also check the wee black insert on the end of the mech hanger, this is what the axle threads into and it’s a seperate part so if it’s loose, that can make it a hassle too. (it has a little grub screw to tighten it- it can be adjusted to tweak the tightness/position of the axle)

babble
    Free Member

fantastic thread here about how to set-up/check/prep a budget fatbike (could be any bike actually) – it’s nto the dune, but seems pretty similar:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/argus-fat-bike-masses-review-assembly-1019867.html

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Any Wazoo owners had issues with the 38T chainring? Had to attack a tooth this morning with long nosed pliers, to get it back in line with the others.

Bizarrely happened towards the end if a gentle ride home after a long, pants day at work yesterday!

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Embrace the green, Superstar grips and pedals on. Muckynutz fender too

babble
    Free Member

woooo Holyzeus that’s a lot of seatpost! Bike looks great. Mine has just arrived apparently, but I am stuck at work until very late, so I won’t get to play until later….

and – sorry to hear about your shitty day nobody – hope things improve. I just looked on chain reaction cycles and a deore 10 speed shifter, rear deralier and cassette can be had for €95 (less €10 discount i think) – could be worth thinking about. (so all in about £80, plus cables perhaps.)

fd3chris
    Free Member

The first fat bike bmx!

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Seatpost is within max marks….
    I prefer a medium to a large as i prefer to be in a bike rather than perched
    on it..
    Well apart from a Mojo fd3chris…. 😉

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

That seatpost looks longer than the seat tube! 😯 😆

Still left wondering if the bent chainring tooth (which rode ok today) was a sign to get a lime Superstar n/w chainring with a set of lime rotor bolts for £21.

I’d probably do it if I knew it would work ok with my 8-speed setup, but it doesn’t mention 8-speed, unlike the PX Ring Master.

Northwind

Holyzeus – Member

I prefer a medium to a large as i prefer to be in a bike rather than perched on it..

Not entirely sure you’ve succeeded there 😆

fd3chris
    Free Member

Hi Holy how are things?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Well it works for me you grumpy lot 😉
    Been made redundant Chris so getting in lots of riding!
    You?

timc
    Free Member

Holyzeus – Member
    I prefer a medium to a large as i prefer to be in a bike rather than perched on it..

LOLz…. look at that post!

fd3chris
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that mate. I m good as always. Off to Wales on Saturday for a weeks break and some riding so it’s not so bad. Hope you get a new start soon.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Still left wondering if the bent chainring tooth (which rode ok today) was a sign to get a lime Superstar n/w chainring with a set of lime rotor bolts for £21.

I happen to have a brand new one of those that went unused as I bought the Aeffect cranks instead, let me know if interested in a discount

Northwind

If your chainring is anything other than black, you are a deviant frankly.

kayak23

Question.
    Has anyone fitted an On-One carbon fatty fork to their Dune? (I’ve skimmed all 37 pages but don’t think anything is there)

The issue obviously is trying to get hub adaptors for the qr fork.

I’m going to swap my Wazoo over to a Dune and would really like to take my forks with me.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@Northwind With my online alias, do you really think I follow the sheep of conformity? 😈

@Kayak23 Not to mention you would also need buy a convertor headset, from tapered to straight steerer, fitting a Carbon Fatty to a Dune. 😉

You would need to buy a new front wheel not only for QR, but also to have a Rear Disc Spaced hub like the RDS fork, unless you happen to know someone who can lathe 4.8mm off the disc mount. 😆

There’s 3 RDS Hope Fatsno QR front hubs left at CRC for <£60 IIRC, to either buy alone, or get a wheel made up with them using their custom Hope build.

Btw, what crown race did you use to fit the Carbon Fatty fork to the Wazoo and did you do the job yourself?

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Topcashback tell me Gooutdoors have declined my payment.
    So thats a couple of irate emails just gone off..

kayak23

@Kayak23 Not to mention you would also need buy a convertor headset, from tapered to straight steerer, fitting a Carbon Fatty to a Dune.

You would need to buy a new front wheel not only for QR, but also to have a Rear Disc Spaced hub like the RDS fork, unless you happen to know someone who can lathe 4.8mm off the disc mount.

There’s 3 RDS Hope Fatsno QR front hubs left at CRC for <£60 IIRC, to either buy alone, or get a wheel made up with them using their custom Hope build.

Btw, what crown race did you use to fit the Carbon Fatty fork to the Wazoo and did you do the job yourself?

Been trying to figure out if my Carbon On One forks are compatible (except for qr adaptors) with the Calibe Dune front wheel but my head is hurting now and I’m no clearer 🙂
    Info is pretty sparse on these bikes it seems, but I suppose it always is with ‘budget’ bikes.

Reading back through the thread would suggest that the Dune uses a 150mm front hub, whereas the OO fork I have uses a 135mm spacing.

Maybe I’ll have to get rid of the carbon forks… 😥

Nobodyofthegoat- The steel fork that came with the Wazoo was a straight steerer, and the OO carbon fork was a straight steerer so no change needed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.