Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Going by ETT (which is how I used to choose bikes back in the day) I’d be on a medium (at 6′) rather than a large, but even the large is shorter reach than my Smuggler.

That’s kinda good to know, as I’m 6ft too and I had a large Fatty for that reason. I was worried when I got the large Trail out the box that the frame looks enormous. I think it’s 20mm longer reach but designed around a 10mm shorter stem. Proof of the pudding is in the eating but should be a riot.

A few min with a tape measure and the effective seatube (i.e. ignore the kink in the top tube and draw an imaginary line) C-C is only about 16″ too which is nicely lower than I was expecting too. I dunno why more brands don’t go down the same route Spesh are with their DH bikes, Short, Medium, Long and extra Long. There can’t be many people who need a 20″ frame and a 420mm post, so why no sell them 18″ frames and more standover.

NormalMan

It would appear the Dune is available mail order again.

rocketman
    Free Member

It’s noticeably dragger than the JJ

Ok thanks!

timc
    Free Member

that large dune is more like a medium in my book

Northwind

timc – Member

that large dune is more like a medium in my book

Are you just going by the seattube? It’s an inch longer and taller than the original, so that should make it about 1165mm long, 445mm of reach. Longer’n a large fatty, shorter’n a than a large fatty trail, if that’s a useful benchmark. Slightly trad geometry maybe but then it’s not a #enduro bike.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Very similar to a Large Scott Big Jon (15mm shorter, 5mm lower head tube).

A lot smaller than a 21″ DD… I’m relieved to see, I bought the right bike after all.

jeff1155

Well, I found out the limit of the JJs mud grip in last weekends swamp fest – things I found out:-

– JJs won’t go anywhere in deep mud, like as deep as my brand new 5 10 mid boots. They don’t look new anymore.

– JJs slide in less deep mud, but it’s slow and easy to catch. You may not be able to steer or brake, but you can stay moving and not fall over. Opposite locking for seconds at a time quite funny, but puts a caution over downhill speed in case you lose the front – not so fun. Might try @dlovett’s 8psi instead of 10 (I’m a bit lighter at 75kg and it’s not rocky round ‘ere)

– Traction was fantastic on loose flint, didn’t notice any issue except deep mud when the wheel sank shortly after, then the wheels wouldn’t move and I had to push

– gearing fine on my bit of the downs, it’s missing top end rather than bottom compared to my 3×9

– front Marshguard not long enough

– Crudcatcher gut fender worked – I’ve bought a set of MuckyNutz guards and I reckon the Crudcatcher gut will be better, less flimsy more stable and just as effective

– Crudcatcher rear didn’t work, not sure why but my waist pack was literally plastered.

– it hasn’t got the reach of my 19″ Rockhopper, definitely more cramped, more upright, but something felt wrong, I might try gagging about with the bars

– really enjoyed it!

nickgti
    Free Member

I’ve put a floater on the front and kept the JJ on the back, I don’t mind the back end sliding round corners etc adds to the fun 🙂

Northwind

I ended up upgrading to a 4.8 JJ- reason I mention it is that it was free, the 4.0’s in higher demand than the 4.8 because it fits more bikes, there’s a brand new 4.8 on ebay for £55. It’s a big tyre though, bigger than a Bud 4.8, so I think will only work in a 1x Dune. Haven’t tried it with dual ring but it’ll be tight if it works at all.

4.8 JJ is a wee bit heavier but quite a lot grippier and you can run less pressure, very good result imo. It still doesn’t have huge pedalling grip, it’ll spin out in deep filth but that’s the only thing I’ve felt it’s not up for.

Very pleased with the front Minion now btw

jeff1155

I was thinking Bud/Lou, a pair of Nates or see whether the Minion 4.0 pair became available, but it’s quite an investment and I’ll give the JJs a good try out on a few more trails first – and it’s only a while before the hills should start drying out down ‘sawf surely?

russyh
    Free Member

I am on the look out for a second hand JJ 4.0 if any of you Dune riders fancies letting one go. I find double Nate too draggy personally, but don’t want to buy a brand new JJ in case i am wrong!

rocketman
    Free Member

Tell us more about your Minion FBF Northwind where did you get it

dlovett
    Free Member

Gphas anybody managed to track down a rear mech hanger for a Calibre dune? If so what make/model/supplier do you get it from? I’ve messaged go outdoors but not heard anything.

Thanks

Duncan

dlovett
    Free Member

Is anybody running 2×10 on the dune? Can I get away leaving the front mech and rings as they are and just stick a 10spd m ch, cassette, chain and shifter on with the existing 8spd front mech and shifter?

Cheers
    D

dovebiker

Anyone investigated a possible pannier rack for the dune?

Yes I know it’s not bang on trend!

Axiom Fatliner half the price of Surly and Salsa offerings

sniff
    Free Member

Cheers dovebiker. Have ordered one of them so will post back once it arrives and I get it fitted.

maksogun
    Free Member

When I was in local bike shop yesterday, saw the BJ 😳 …pretty sure it’s the same frame as the Dune

Northwind

rocketman – Member

Tell us more about your Minion FBF Northwind where did you get it

I ordered it from the states because UK maxxis imports are pretty iffy… But some of the german stores have it in stock now. It’s really good- I rambled about it here:

http://s436462119.websitehome.co.uk/index.php?topic=4991.0

Usefully different to a Bud.

maksogun – Member

pretty sure it’s the same frame as the Dune

A lot of similiarities but not the same.

maksogun
    Free Member

Northwind – you still riding your Dune?

nickgti
    Free Member

The big John fat bike does indeed look very similar the mech hanger might work

Northwind

Aye maksogun- put it this way, I’m racing this weekend and I had to make an effort to take out the big bike and get used to riding it again because every other ride I’ve been on the Dune. Never even looked at the hardtail for months.

Though, I’ve just sabotaged it by changing to shrinkwrap tubeless, which isn’t working so far 😳

nickgti
    Free Member

I haven’t rode my big bike since before Christmas, Dune every time so far.

Is the shrinkwrap leaking air?

Does look a lot like the dune hanger

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nR6jCp4BEVU/maxresdefault.jpg

Northwind

Dunno, something is though- haven’t looked into it properly yet but it deflates in about an hour and the tyre falls off the rim. But it seems like it should be doable.

NormalMan

@NW – I’ve only ridden my HT once since getting my fatbike. I don’t have a FS anymore.

I only took the HT out in prep for a big ride out tomorrow with a couple of old riding buddies.

dlovett
    Free Member

Good call Nickgti, just got to find a shop with one to check if the hangers are the same or not.

maksogun
    Free Member

dlovett – Member
    Good call Nickgti, just got to find a shop with one to check if the hangers are the same or not.

Will have a look over the weekend if I get the chance, and report back.

nickgti – Member
    …Dune every time so far.

Normal Man – Member
    I’ve only ridden my HT once since getting my fatbike.

Only had my Dune for a little over two weeks, already stripped my HT for parts and now converting it to a commute bike

burko73

New mongoose argus at tredz for £599 due in 11/4/16.

Anyone tried one?

burko73

There’s a lot of expensive £750+ on one fatties on eBay at the moment. Some not selling.

Bregante

Used was the way forward for me. Practically new Genesis Caribou. £600.
    Heavy (obvs) but fun.

On its first outing this week (don’t tell my Dr – I REALLY shouldn’t have been riding but it was a lovely day)

[img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1449/25464496152_f564f6e927_z.jpg[/img]

burko73

Everything fat I see on eBay or on here for sale tends to be a large frame for some reason. Looking for a 17″ or equivalent fatty.

zippykona

I wouldn’t rule out a large fatty.I take a 30 inch leg Jean and am right on the limit of a 400mm seat post . That’s on a medium OO Fatty.

burko73

I’m a 30 inch leg jean and ride a 16.5 inch genesis latitude. Is that medium fatty territory?

cakefacesmallblock

32 isl and I ride a 17″ Genesis Caribou. Perfect fit. Feels similar dimensionally to my mates medium Fatty.

burko73

Thanks for that. Been keeping an eye out for a 17″ caribou.

zippykona

The Fatty has this stupid arrangement that means you need a super long seat post.
    Mine is an 18 frame.

rickmeister

Is it a low stand over height so when you step off in snow and sink, there isn’t a panic in the ballroom ?

It does make a lot of sense in snowy conditions, hence a long seat post.

NormalMan

^ that was the advice I was given when buying mine. Not that I’ve seen any snow 😥

burko73

Well I’ve just bought a medium fatty on eBay with original floaters and nates. Pick up tomorrow. Can’t wait.

andyha
    Free Member

I have a small Genesis Caribou, possibly for sale £599+ 25 for postage.

XT brakes, Panaracer nimbles, Fizik saddle, braided hoses, Easton bars, Salsa seat collar, Thomson seatpost

burko73

Too late for me andyha. Just picked up my new (to me) fatty. Bit of headset adjustment needed and some pedals and we’re go.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.