Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • zippykona

What’s recommended for beaches then?
    Shall forget about using it for road duties as it will be easier to keep my current roadster. Was trying to streamline my bikes but I guess that will never happen!

Alex

@firestarter – be interested to see Mike/Caibre;s reply. For me it needed two spacers on the drive side which didn’t leave enough thread on a std BB for me to be happy (esp as the BB shell has two cutouts to accept the front mech bracket). So we stuck a Saint BB in there which worked well. Chainline then was spot on with 1×10 XT.

I put a Nate (tan sidewall, apparently won’t go tubeless) on the front and that combo with the H-Billie in the rear is great for current conditions. Rear is quite square, front is rounder. Also with my new TopPeak gauge I found my track-pump guess of 10psi in each tyre was actually 14 in the front and 6 in the back.

Oh and rode my Bird Aeris at Afan after nothing but a months fat biking. First descent was interesting 😉

scotroutes

Ideally, you want something that’s not too knobbly when in wet sand as churning it up just adds to the effort involved.

In dry sand, you want something a bit more knobbly to get some traction.

FWIW, I have a couple of (pretty much unused) Larrys sitting in my garage…………

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

What’s the opinion of Dune verses Voodoo?

you can buy a Dune, whereas you can’t get a Voodoo?

jeff1155

That’s what I’m wondering – £500 16.4 kg Wazoo vs (now) £600 14.5 kg Calibre Dune (now? Hardly any in store, none mail order)?

Reports that the Wazoo might be 13.3kg, plus it has hydraulic discs, whereas the Dune has a 1.5″ tapered steerer and ‘proper’ 4″ tyres….

Colour scheme’s personal preference – don’t like the yellow with green rim tape, but yellow generally more cheery than black.

Anything else to consider?

J

nickgti
    Free Member

I love the yellow, yeah it’s bright but in person I love it. Photos don’t do the dune justice.
    The dune is bluto ready as well, only display ones so 10% off or they always do 15% off codes then it covers the brake upgrade.

jeff1155

I’m 2 hours away from any Go Outdoors store, and from the telephone response the ‘display model’ 10% was going to be a struggle, so I’ve resigned myself to £500 eBay Wazoo, £600 Dune with a drive, or waiting and seeing what crops up – secondhand Fatboy, discount Dune when mail order stocks improve or whatever!

Northwind

TBH the Voodoo looks great too and was what got me looking at cheap fatties in the first place… but for me the Dune would probably still get my money- you can upgrade everything that the Dune doesn’t do well out of the box but the Voodoo’s drawbacks are more permanent- seems not to be bluto compatible, has QR wheels which is a bummer for upgrading (or for transferring to another frame)… The Dune feels like a classy bike built down with cheap parts, the Voodoo feels a bit more like a cheaper package overall. Maybe a better package out of the box? But more limited.

Whether that matters to you, I don’t know, but the Dune kills it on upgradability and current-standard-ness I think

Alex

Having upgraded mine, I’d agree with NW. Just need an oval ring for it now. And maybe a bluto in the spring. I’ve loved riding it so much, I’m going to see if I can cash in a couple of bikes not getting ridden for a new Stache in a 27.5+ config. Gone from being a bit fat curious to wanting to ride the fat bike everywhere even when it’s clearly going to be very compromised.

It’s a struggle tho going back to my ‘normal’ FS. Anyone else get this? I thought switching between 26 and 29 used to take a bit of recalibration, but fat to thin is just a whole different ball game…

jeff1155

Thanks Northwind

My only remaining issue is weight – on the Wazoo thread there’s a recent purchaser with a claim that the 16.4 kg quoted weight is as shipped, including the box, and built up the Wazoo is 13.3 kg.

At 14.5 vs 16.4 the Dune gets my vote, but not at 14.5 vs 13.3!

zippykona

Break out your scales Voodoo/Dune owners.
    Having said that I will be loathe to spend any money on a bike that won’t get ridden that much. I,d like it to be as usable as possible now. Brakes excepted.
    It will be used as more of a tool than a bike. To get me places my perfectly good normal bikes can’t.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

You want Voodoo? Click here.

I want it in store with 10% BC discount 😉

thanks NW and others for the comparos, only discovered yesterday I get 10% discount @ Go Outdoors through employer staff benefits.

Northwind

There’s no chance at all that the Voodoo weighs 13.3kg. That’s more or less what my Dune weighs with 1×10 drivetrain, and all my lighter finishing kit and brakes (and a gravity dropper but that only adds about 250g). I think their 16.4kg is probably pretty realistic. (The Dune as it comes out of the box is just under 15kg, their claimed weight on the website is a straight out fib. Stripped of reflectors and pedals etc it’s 14.6kg)

So add 600g per end for the tyres, probably the best part of a kilo for the cromo fork, the drivetrain and wheels are going to be pretty much the same (same rims I think) though maybe save a little by avoiding the Dune’s heavy thru-axles. I’d not be surprised if Voodoo’s finishing kit is lighter too, they’re clever about that on other models

Course, there’s a fair chance you’re going to change those tyres, and the tyres on the Dune for that matter, since neither is good for January in the UK.

jeff1155

Thanks Northwind, I was thinking that, but would be good to check before the stock runs out!

Calling Voodoo Wazoo owners – how much does it weigh in real life?

grey

I hate you all, I want a Dune now 😆 .
    N+1 aaarrrrrgh

Huwzy
    Free Member

I managed to get a display model Dune for less than £400 before Xmas 🙂 It’s a lot of fun to ride.

rezis
    Free Member

Less than £400 is fantastic Huwzy. My local store have agreed to keep the 15% discount available until they get them back in stock. Then I can join the fat club…

Thanks to the guys here who have posted their mods and what’s possible

zippykona

£400 is amazing. That must really have made second hand fat bikes worthless. 😀

takisawa2

On the off-chance any of you are Scout Leader’s, Go-Outdoors will apparently give a 15% discount if you show proof of your Scout permit; or a necker. Not sure if this is on top of any other discounts, but worth knowing.

Suggsey
    Free Member

As requested link to picture of a Dune with dirty White OO Floaters
    [/url]

Suggsey
    Free Member

[/url]

Suggsey
    Free Member

Or not…….?

Bregante

Here you go

NormalMan

@huwzy
    How did you manage that price?

I’d be tempted to buy one for my son and wife to share at that price.

nickgti
    Free Member

Thanks for the pictures mate, actually quite like the look of that with the White.

How do you find the floaters compared to the jims?

Northwind

As much as I slag off On One, their coloured tyres are glorious. No exception there.

Huwzy
    Free Member

@huwzy
    How did you manage that price?

I’d be tempted to buy one for my son and wife to share at that price.

15% off voucher and had a £100 off a damaged display model, the damage was minimal and I repaired it within 5 min of getting it home. I couldn’t wheel it out of the shop fast enough after paying for it.

NormalMan

Ok. Cool thanks for the reply. Is that voucher still valid?

The only issue is the 60+ mile round trip to my nearest store with one in stock.

Suggsey
    Free Member

The floaters are heavier by about half the weight again of the Jims but the trade off is much better grip on clay mud trails (my local trails). On a mixed beach ride the Jims are fine for everything except areas of mud flats but we both sank over the rims in those quick sand/mud areas 😆
    The floaters have a thicker carcass and feel more sturdy but then the Schwalbes are very much the same as all the others in their family sidewalls.
    The extra knobs and sipes within the tread blocks of the Floater give more resistance to sliding sideways on any steep off camber trails over the Jims in my experience. As for tread tackyness/compound I was expecting the coloured tyres to be inferior but they’re actually tackier to the touch.
    Climbing grip on Cannock Chase gravel climbs appeared the same but slightly better climbing grip on mixed surface was evident with the Floaaters as to be expected. On proper full on muddy climbs they didn’t spin out until I was right on the nose of the saddle to keep the front wheel on the ground (I’m 17 stone).
    Mounting the tyres post punctures was easier with the OO Floaters again I think down to the thicker carcass.
    I only got the white because I’m tight fisted and don’t mind wearing the knobs of them at that price.
    I’ve been running them at 8psi front and rear a and didn’t find they dragged massively over the Jims. As for acceleration it doesn’t slow down for anything so no need to accelerate. 😆

nickgti
    Free Member

Thanks for taking the time write that Suggsey very helpful. I’m tempted to just get a black one for the front I find that wanting to wash out

russyh
    Free Member

So what’s people’s views on the jumbo jims on sand? Would it be a good tyre choice for battle of the beach? As much as I like the grip nates offer I am thing something a little lighter? But I am a battle of the beach virgin so would love others thoughts!

zippykona

Is the now £703 On One Fat Bike a better bike than the Dune?
    By the time I,ve factored in the 130 mile round trip for the Dune and possibly new tyres, there’s not a lot in it price wise.
    Is the carbon fork worth upgrading to on the On One?

mamadirt
    Free Member

That Dune looks awesome with the white tyres 😛 8)

johnnystorm

I’ve got an On One and I’d get the dune if it fitted. 190 rear and bluto spaced front gives you more options. The tyres are a neutral cost as you’d easily sell some jumbo jims for the price of something nobblier.

willard

Just to add that there seem to be a lot of fatbikes in use at Banff (Canada). These are mostly Norco, but I have seen a Surly knocking around town and, according to the bloke downstairs at the hotel, they are pretty popular for the local trails.

nickgti
    Free Member

Any fellow Dune owners had issues with the left hand crank bolt?
    Mines coming undone 5/6 times a ride!

Suggsey
    Free Member

I loctited mine on the back of Northwinds experience along with the hanger bolts which finally undone themselves after a couple of months.
    As for the Jims on sand they are the ideal racing tyre, light perfectly grippy enough in all sand types and shingle and ver fast rolling. I only swapped them out because of our local mud.
    I should also point out especially for mamadirt that I also went fir white for extra being seen on road sections on night rides…..positively glows in the dark 8) 😆

sniff
    Free Member

Swapped out the jumbo Jim’s for a pair of H Billies. More draggy and heavier but fantastic grip in the mud.

Got them for £40 an end and quick delivery (they still have 6 left)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=141846897791&alt=web

Def 26″ and 4.25 even though they are incorrectly listed.

Northwind

nickgti – Member

Any fellow Dune owners had issues with the left hand crank bolt?

I do… But I reckon I didn’t torque it up right tbh, and once you damage a taper there’s not much to be done about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.