Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Would high mileage out you off a newer diesel car ?
  • renton
    Free Member

We are looking at diesels and as well as the mondeo estate the wife and I like the look of the Volvo v70.

The problem is that cars in our budget are getting on for 65 – 100k miles.

Would this put you off a car ?

Cheers
    Steve

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends on the price, most of my cars have started around that sort of mileage, I budgeted for repairs. Also depends whats been done to it from the Major Item list of repairs already (clutch, timing belts etc). The kind of miles also makes a huge difference. What age are these cars?

transporter13
    Free Member

Nope. As long as they have fsh then you should be fine.
    57plate galaxy just turned 103k here

King-ocelot
    Free Member

No but i would be aware that clutch etc have a life span. I’d want to know as much service history as possible. If that’s what type of car you want and you adhering to a budget you may not be able to be too picky, a good low mile car is obv going to cost more.

globalti
    Free Member

100k of taxi use will cause massively more wear to a car than 100k of repping on the motorways. At 40,000 miles modern diesels are only just beginning to loosen up so as long as the car has had its oils changed at the right intervals I wouldn’t be concerned about high mileage.

matt_outandabout

I bought a galaxy a few months back with 2.0 tdci in it, 78k when bought and now hit 88k.
    It has full service history and one owner from new. Just had a new clutch fitted when we bought it, and I didn’t like the sound of starter motor so they changed that as well.
    A new Galaxy with good spec/bigger engine =£25k.
    A two/three year old one with OK miles =£12-18k
    Ours was £7k.
    The difference is massive – we can pay ours back and cope with some repair bills along the way.

renton
    Free Member

we have found a 2010 volvo v70 2.0 diesel d3 model with 77k on the clock with fdsh.

up at 10490

http://www.tlscarsales.co.uk/used-cars/volvo-v70-2-0-d3-se-lux-5dr-frinton-201412119587803

joshvegas
    Free Member

High milage?

My dads vw tdi is about to hit 200000

trail_rat
    Free Member

100k is not high milage.

But i would not be paying near 10k for it as some dealers seeem to think….

How ever if your expecting a trouble free car with no chips and marks nor one that will require on goingmaintaince forget it!

renton
    Free Member

what do you think about the car in the link above?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Honestly?

Full dealership history, Excellent bodywork, Full leather interior – Excellent Condition, Tyre condition Good,

That is the only bit of text that is not copied and pasted from a spec sheet.

You will probably need to look at it to see, what service parts have been done as above, when are the next big ticket items due?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not even opening it . Price vs risk of expensive repairs is tio high for me- am oot

dc11
    Free Member

I recently sold my 2006 2.0 Tdi A3 with 136,000 miles. It was still tight as a drum with zero issues and flew through it’s pre-sale MOT.

I previously had a 2.0 Tdi Golf that I bought at 80,000 and have just bought a 130i with 95,000 miles.

High mileage, reasonably priced cars with a decent SH are, in my opinion, great value. Although, you do have to be informed and confident enough to know what you’re buying.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Buy on condition not mileage.

Is rather have a car that has done a fair few miles but been looked after. Things like few owners are a good thing on my book because you can’t run a car for a few miles without spending money on it.

Our 330 has done 86k now and feels much tighter than my 61 plate Fiesta that’s done 68. The BM hasn’t cost too much to run in the 18 months we’ve had it. We bought privately and I was able to verify the work done it through BMW.

fd3chris
    Free Member

i bought a 2004 BMW 330d touring with 150000 on the clock thinking a big diesel should handle it easily. Six months later it needed new injectors at over £450 each at BMW ( obviously 6 of them). car was basically a write off but ended up getting non Bmw pattern ones for 1800 all in. So no at your mileage you should be fine but be wary of going any higher as the bills can be huge.

mav12
    Free Member

have a look on ebay theres a few on there

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I still reckon the way to go is to buy a nearly new car (let someone else take the hit on depreciation) and keep it for a long, long time
    We bought our Focus at just under 3 years old for £6k. That was £10k off the new price. We’ve had it comin up to 6 years and 70,000 miles now an I have no intention of swapping it for at least another 3 years. I’ve just had a full cambelt service and 4 new tyres put on it and it drives like new. It’s got a towbar and I had cruise control fitted. It suits our lives perfectly.
    If I was looking for a car and I came across the right car with good spec, 9 years old with slightly under average mileage, a full service history with no issues at all and in good nick and only 2 owners from new, I’d buy it. So why the hell would I SELL it, because that’s what I’ve got! And I know it’s history and that it’s reliable
    Sure, it would be nice to have something nicer with more toys or whatever, but I’d have to be crackers to sell it.
    Oh. And I wouldn’t buy a diesel full stop.

plus-one

Few years back I bought a Volvo v50 with 70’000 miles on it .. Lovely condition full service history/rep car motorway miles …. Never let me down once was a superb drive and very very comfy with all the toys…

However I had it 3 years and hand was never out pocket .. Springs/pads/discs/exhaust/Dfp fluid/shock mount/air con packed in/central locking developed gremlins/fuel pump was final straw..

I’ll never buy a car over 20’000 miles now..

Yeah sure some cars run forever with few issues but the higher the mileage the higher the chance of wear and tear and hassle ..

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Look out for DPF issues. Check if it has one she if so when it needs replacing, they’re hugely expensive.

fd3chris
    Free Member

@ PeterPoddy i agree 100% . I’ve had a 2005 boring c class 1.8 petrol for over four years now that gives me well over 40 on a run and hasn’t missed a beat in 90000 miles. So as you can guess I’m a little bit of a merc fan now and not a beemer lover .

renton
    Free Member

What large estate cars with a petrol engine give you 40mpg then ??

hora
    Free Member

What sort of mileage do you do? I do 15k a year and I’d still prefer the peace of mind of a big non turbo petrol. I bet price diff+extra £ per litre+occassionao diesel bawk means the actual diff between 30 and 40mpg ain’t much when you spreadsheet it..

Xylene
    Free Member

^ one with an LPG tank fitted.

Remember Volvos will cost you the earth in servicing costs if you go to a dealer.

Honda Accord is a good option – 2.2cdti is very good 2.4 vtec is lovely to drive.

renton
    Free Member

I want something reasonably new that will do more than 28 mpg average and doesn’t cost 265 a year in tax.

kcal

Our Octavia estate – petrol, 1.4 TSI, ’60 plate, near 50mpg on trip to Central belt last week.

Usually between 35 – 45 mpg. Is that large enough for you though?

renton
    Free Member

It Is fir me however the wife doenst like the Octavia.

hora
    Free Member

When I was looking at V70’s I was told to expect circa £500 in annual service/consumables costs.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What large estate cars with a petrol engine give you 40mpg then ??

Well it’s not a BIG car but our 1.6 Focus has averaged 39.2mpg over the last 52,000 miles (I lost some records before that!) and at one point it was averaging 42-ish when I was doing a lot of motorway driving.
    We only do 10-12k a year, a diesel wouldn’t pay. Plus I don’t like them anyway. Never driven a diesel I like.

aP
    Free Member

What’s wrong with your current car?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The Volvo in your link looks ok for what it is. Are you going to view it? You can use the mileage to haggle on price. It looks a good car based on power/trim/mpg/size. Prob not very exciting to drive but that can be forgiven.

deviant
    Free Member

If it’s been looked after it should be fine. Other half bought an A4 with 170,000 miles on the clock…but it has FSH and is Audi’s older, simpler and more reliable 1.9 tdi, so far it’s been excellent.

Not sure I’d buy a modern Diesel engine with that kind of mileage, this forum seems to be full of horror stories about Particulate filters going wrong, EGR problems etc etc.

Stoner
    Free Member

I just bought a 2011 2.0L Blue Motion VW Passat estate, 100k miles, for £7.5k from a mate of a mate.

it does 60+ mpg with the wife driving (I reckon I can easily get 70+ hypermiling in France).

Perfect car for us since we were able to get rid of the (<35mpg) Freelander once I built the landrover to cover all heavy duties.

chakaping
    Free Member

I still reckon the way to go is to buy a nearly new car (let someone else take the hit on depreciation) and keep it for a long, long time

The OP would struggle with the last bit of that strategy though, going by his posting history.

😉

renton
    Free Member

He has just offered me 9k fir my s max against the vovlo which isn’t enough.

I was offered 9.5k against a similarly priced mondeo at another garage.

aP
    Free Member

Yes, but what’s wrong with your current car?

hora
    Free Member

Renton on have you worked out depreciation of the PX versus buying this car

renton
    Free Member

Crap on fuel. Lots on tax. To big fir us 95% of the time.

Gary_C

He has just offered me 9k fir my s max against the vovlo which isn’t enough.

I was offered 9.5k against a similarly priced mondeo at another garage.

Err, reading your Mondeo thread, that car was up for £10995, £505 more than this V70. So the Volvo will work out £5 cheaper! 🙂

aP
    Free Member

So you’re going to spend 2k+ to save less than £500 a year?

renton
    Free Member

Where are you getting 2k + from ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Would high mileage out you off a newer diesel car ?’ is closed to new replies.