Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wot googles for mega avalanche?
  • plumber
    Free Member

Specifically do you even need them? or will decent sunglasses suffice

If definately needed – Clear or slight tint? assuming heavy tint isn’t required because theres not much snow and it’d be bad for the tree section?

Thanks

Plum

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was fine with clears.

You will need something as there will hopefully be a lot of dust.

Sunnies are better vented but goggles will stop your eyes filling with dust. Good fitting and comfy. I used a set of Foxes that were £20 from Pearcs Cycles took a couple of sapre lens’s out and some tearoffs just to protect them.

I ripped them off a couple of times on fire roads and tarmac in the race for a breather but I had cold that week so was probably me.

Tried to ride previous year without as they didn’t fit the lit very well and it was hell

hexhamstu
    Free Member

wot googles?

honourablegeorge

Was incredibly dusty when i rode it, was very glad of goggles, even though I hate wearing them

tracknicko
    Free Member

clear lens.

try Spy (cheap)

oakley (ubiquitous)

fox (sexy)

electric (also sexy)

plumber
    Free Member

wot googles?

I was being ‘yoof’ 🙂

plumber
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – good info as normal

mikewsmith
    Free Member

fox (sexy)

Fox – Cheap!

mtbant
    Free Member

Going for the first time this year also! thanks for the info. How about clear with tint tear offs?

DeeW
    Free Member

Always worn Oakley sunglasses myself without a problem. Depending on the course, googles could get bloody hot on any climbs.

lister11
    Free Member

Sunnies here too. Arnette with an orange lens. A touch dark in the woods but defo better than goggles in my opinion. Way too hot (hopefully) for them.

tracknicko
    Free Member

actually come to think of it i raced mega in glasses last.

goggles in quali, glasses in race.

but then last year (not in mega) a bee flew in my lid on a downhill and stung my eyelid, on the very first run of the very first day.

which closed my left eye for about 4 days, and made riding scary as hell!

something to consider?

grum
    Free Member

I tried sunglasses while I was out there but got on much better with goggles. I got some cheap Oakley MX goggles and they were fine – around £20.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I raced in some crap Oakley wraparound things last year, having done the quali in goggles I should have just stuck with them.

The glasses drove me nuts, moving around & offering the square root of bugger all protection from the dust.

Just wear goggles & get a sweat on. If you get really sweaty & worry about steaming them up, skewer over the gas hob & pop a few ‘speed holes’ around the edge of the lense to get the air flowing.

Clears give a bit of glow off the snow, but it’s not too bad (assuming there isn’t loads of it like 2010). Much like last year would be nice again for 2012 please 🙂

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I usually ride in glasses but use goggles for the mega, there’s (hopefully) so much dust that glasses become useless quickly.

As for what type of goggles I usually go with Oakley O Frames, they are the best I’ve tried and cheap. Just make sure you get dark ones, I find light/patterned goggles give me terrible internal reflections in the lenses!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wot googles for mega avalanche?’ is closed to new replies.