Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 286 total)
  • Worth keeping an eye on http://www.highlandtrail.net.
  • acehtn
    Free Member

About 1 mile left for Ian

Will he make it for last orders at the bar…..

sweaman2
    Free Member

Ian’s done… superb effort.

acehtn
    Free Member

10.46pm Ian Finished 🙂

Alan might be in around midnight.

Good go fellas !

Blackhound

Having a whiskey to celebrate Ian’s arrival. It was a Scottish oatcake when Aidan came in being a bit early for drinking.

flatfish
    Free Member

Well ridden Ian.

Clink

Well ridden Ian

Absolutely!!

debaser

Wow! Cap doffed to everyone who rode/is riding this. Much respect for even starting such an epic – overused word I know, but I think this might almost justify it – ride.

Will be riding a couple of these trails (bonar bridge – ullapool – fisherfield – torridon… ) as part of bikepacking trundle next week, albeit much s l o w e r. I shall raise my hipflask to all of you as I do.

I’m surprised at how many times I have checked http://trackleaders.com/highland13 over the last few days and, knowing a little bit of the terrain, astonished by how the competitors have progressed.

chapeau fellows.

scotroutes

Alan Sheldon tracked at Finish — at 12:06:27 AM (BST) 05/29/13

Another superb effort. I hope there’s a bar open!

Blackhound

Rob Wixey should finish this morning in 4th, and probably just miss a sub 4 day clocking. Alan G and Mike T look on for a mid afternoon finish and up to 5 others could finish tonight.

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

Just updated the front page story with finisher times. Can anyone fill me in with news of the untracked riders, if any are still going?

Sad to miss it this time around but hoping to make an autumn tour and then be back to race next year.

Blackhound

The only untracked rider I am aware of is Tom Sap (Belgium). Last night he was with Greg May and Arno Minner in Dornie according to his partner. Greg & Arno look as though they stayed at Camban bothy and I assume Tom is with them. They have been together for last few days now.

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

Cheers Kevin.

Blackhound

Jenn – front page article you have missed off Alan Sheldon’s name though you do have his time.

jameso

It’s great watching this event. Just starting off on a loop like that with the tracker on must feel pretty committing and the pace at the front is quite something.

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

Noted, thanks 🙂

scotroutes

Looks like we have a few more finishers – though the Spot tracking system seems to be having an off day. Does anyone know if it’s always this unreliable – or is it user error? 😉

matt_outandabout

Really enjoying it. I hope we get some more reports/pics..

Blackhound

Philip Richmond must have finished or had a catastrophic problem, and Daniel Jessee is almost home. All things considered SPOT is quite reliable. They do have to be turned off and on every 24 hours or tracking is lost. Batteries run out, satellites don’t see units in thick tree cover but overall they are fine.

nikk
    Free Member

Wow looks like Arno and Greg are still on the move tonight, 11.19pm… they have just done the Devils Staircase and are both going for the finish by the looks of it!

Can’t imagine what they are going through at this point, 5 days 13 1/2 hours of grueling riding to finish at this time of the night, neck and neck, racing each other to the finish along the West Highland Way!

They are at Kings House Hotel right now. 18 miles to go.

IanB
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

Great fun ready all this afterwards. Thanks for all the comments.
    I never saw Alan on my run in to the finish, but knew he was no more than an hour back. Had to push hard all day, but had a crash on the fast descent from the ski resort. Tiredness and poor judgement nearly put me out entirely. I left he Fisherfield emergency bothy at 6.30am Monday, arrived at Camban bothy at 3.40am Tuesday, saw Mark’s bike through the window. Elected to bivvy outside until 5.30am before pushing on again. So, about 200 miles in 41 hours with 1.5 hours sleep… The run in from Fort Bill was utterly punishing.

Cheers,

Ian

scotroutes

What lights are these guys using? I’m assuming that recharging isn’t easy yet there’s been a lot of night-time riding going on.

scotroutes

Utterly amazing Ian. This thread has been completely gripping and I think we’re all stunned by ALL of the riders!

nikk
    Free Member

Looks like Arno and Greg have pulled in to the Kings House Hotel… quick pint, or head down for the night? Amazing anyway, great to finish so close, wonder if they will ride in together or race it to the finish!

nikk
    Free Member

What lights are these guys using? I’m assuming that recharging isn’t easy yet there’s been a lot of night-time riding going on.

It is light till 11pm, you know that I’m sure. Possible to ride up there late without much problem, especially if just getting the miles in rather than bombing it. I reckon most lights like the Fenix torches etc are fine for getting through in 11pm twilight, anything that uses lithium batteries can usually run 1/4 power for 10+ hours, so just one or two sets of batteries is enough.

nikk
    Free Member

Went up to Tyndrum today to rescue my car, after getting home from Ullapool at 12.30 last night. Met Allan G, Ian and others in the cafe for a chat. Was great to have a craic with these guys that finished in such amazing times. It gives a whole new perspective to ‘going for a wee ride’!

Hope Steve recovers fast. Saw a pic of his injuries. A lot of stitches to the face. Fast healing man!

nikk
    Free Member

Arno and Greg are on the move again! Crazy #@&*£^$%!

r0bh
    Free Member

Looks like Greg and Arno finished at about 2am last night 🙂

paul78
    Free Member

Huge respect to anyone getting round this course… even more so to those who went flat out from the start and gave it all.

The sharp end of the race looked to be very sharp.

What little I rode of the race route was amazing riding and the guys I met out there were great people.

Hope this event continues next year and more people like Alan Goldsmith put up more routes to challenge us all.

Blackhound

Tom Sap was with Greg and Arno as well – he had no tracker, so 3 finished almost together. Arno had an achilles problem and was dropping back from the other 2 yesterday.

Steve Wilkinson had 2 hours surgery after his fall on first day so best wishes to him.

Any confirmation what time Philip Richmond finished?

Some amazing rides and until Mark dropped out the first 3 were on singlespeeds. Arno & Tom were on s/s as well.

BoardinBob

Humbling and inspirational. I haven’t ridden that many miles so far this year and these guys did it in a few days!

acehtn
    Free Member

Just had a look see.

Andy Farish appears to be back marker now and maybe last man out there.

In Fort Augustus.

Keep plodding on !

matt_outandabout

Is that a gang just finishing, or is the logger being odd again?
    As said, looks like a last man standing. Go Mr Farish…!

acehtn
    Free Member

Think it’s spot being quirky 🙂 i wouldn’t stop for 18 hours a mile from the end.

Apart from the maybe 1 non spot rider (don’t know where he is) looking like Andy Farish is back marker, still a way to go, maybe Friday night finish depending on what state he is in.

trail_rat
    Free Member

heel up quick 5teve – will make for a good story one day im sure about how you were mauled by wild mountain lions 😉

aidans out paddling on the water now. NUTTER

one thing is – its piqued my interest in getting my bikepacking kit back out the back of the garage :d

Blackhound

acehtn – Tom Sap is the lone non tracked rider afaik and he finished with Greg and Arno.

So just Andy out there, he got it wrong on day 1 losing 2 hours by heading towards Fort Bill after leaving Kinlochleven and had to retrace his steps. (I was surprised he caught me up at Loch Ossian as I knew he left Kinlochleven before me). I reckon he is 9-10 hours away yet so reckon he will finish tomorrow.

acehtn
    Free Member

Ta Blackhound 🙂

Phillip Richmond hasn’t been updated on the leaderboard yet.

Andy Farish is down to Fort William now.

Will he slog it out….. or roll in friday lunchtime.

Last but not last, last of those that completed the route 🙂

I reckoned on doing 50miles a day if i had a go, so i would have hoped to complete in 8days.

Still mind boggling, Aidan will be around twice as fast as Andy, and Andy is still going to have a good time.

I expect the aim is for a sub 3 day next time ! brilliant race/event.

🙂 plod on Andy, nearly there.

Blackhound

re Philip – I reckon he would have been ~1 hour ahead of Daniel Jessee. I emailed Tom Sap’s partner this morning to see if she knew anything. She was at the finish area and was with James Gillies and met a few of the finishers. She has not come back to me to confirm.

I have an email for Trackleaders and will let them know when I have some confirmation. I guess they can do something manually.

scotroutes

Andy Farish is on his way south. Looks like he’ll make it in later this evening. Let’s have a big STW virtual cheer for him crossing the finish line!

acehtn
    Free Member

Aiming for 5days not 6 then 🙂

James_Gillies
    Free Member

Philip Richmond arrived about 7.30 ish which was the same time I finally arrived back in Tyrdum. Daniel arrived just before 9pm looking totally smashed! Greg, Tom and Arno came in just before 2am. Toms partner And I greeted them with beer, coke and sandwiches. It was an amazing ride, just wish I could have finished with them

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 286 total)

The topic ‘Worth keeping an eye on http://www.highlandtrail.net.’ is closed to new replies.