Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Worried about my dog
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

He’s developed a bad eye ulcer and it’s off to the vets again tomorrow morning to see how it’s doing and decide what to do about it. Giving him two sets of drops pretty much hourly at the moment that I think are improving it somewhat. May need an op, been warned he could lose the eye.

I know he’ll be ok, and even if he ends up a one eye’d dog, he’ll still have a great life and be very much loved. Just feel for the poor fella 🙁 Need to get on with some work really but it’s hard to concentrate.

That’s all. No need for responses, but if you have good stories of dog recoveries then that would be cool. Thanks.

wrecker
    Free Member

I feel you buddy.
    My 12 yr old EBT has really slowed down this year. Breaks my heart 🙁

unklehomered
    Free Member

🙁

camo16
    Free Member

Sorry to hear it, dude. 🙁

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. He’s only three, so thankfully still has many good years ahead of him. Just hate to see him like this.

My 12 yr old EBT has really slowed down this year. Breaks my heart

Does get me a bit dusty eye’d sometimes when I think that they won’t actually be around that long in the grand scheme of things, just got to give them the best life you can in the time you have with them.

sweepy
    Free Member

My dog, fit healthy and 4yrs old just keeled over the other day. Luckily the Mrs acted quickly cos as she was carrying him into the vets he stopped breathing. Lost all reflexes including the blink. It really didn’t look good but a week later he’s back to his usual high jinks and we’re fighting to keep him slowed down for recovery.
    All the best with yours.

khani
    Free Member

😥 at least you care, many dont..
    Whatever happens at least he’s got a loving home, which is the most important bit..
    All the best..

LHS
    Free Member

Feel for you, my 8 year old Lab had a funny turn the other day, just refused to stand-up, eat, drink. Took him to the vet who told us he had a huge temperature and they would do some tests but it didn’t look good, tests were inconclusive then 3 days later he got out of bed, had a bowl of food and went and started chasing squirrels in the back garden, been right as rain since. Must have been a hangover or something!

We have had a couple of rescue dogs who have lost an eye, i am sure it won’t come to it for you but if the worst case does happen I can assure you it doesn’t affect them!

mrblobby
    Free Member

but a week later he’s back to his usual high jinks and we’re fighting to keep him slowed down for recovery.

Blimey, did they know why it happened to him?

Khani, he definitely does.

misterfrostie
    Free Member

Give him a great home and get him the best care. The rest is down to fate. I hate losing dogs, understand how close you get to them and feel your pain amigo. Look after him. And post a pic up so we can all admire what a fine gentleman he is 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Eddie… he’s an amazing dog…

Right. Need to get a grip. Time for more drops…

Bagstard
    Free Member

My mastiff had her tail removed on Monday after a tumour was found. She is getting back to her normal self, but I miss the thump of her tail on the ground when you say her name.On the plus side my young son wont be whacked in the face anymore.

khani
    Free Member

Khani, he definitely does.

You can tell 😀
    We had a similar situation as LHS above with our old black lab, I thought I was taking her for her final journey,when I got to the vets she wagged her tail and stood by the door to go home, a course of tablets later she was fine..
    She’s twenty.. More white than black now but still goes out every day..
    Lucy the irondog.. (And dustbin)..

Bagstard
    Free Member

Twenty!!! That is some going!

khani
    Free Member

I know, eating cat shit must be the secret to long life…

mrblobby
    Free Member

I know, eating cat shit must be the secret to long life…

If that is the secret the Eddie will be around for a long time 🙂

khani
    Free Member

😀

rc200f8
    Free Member

My border collie developed an eye ulcer when she was about 16 months old, spent about a month applying eye drops but it didn’t really improve. The eye eventualy ‘burst’ & she w as rushed to a referral vet who carried out graft on the eye, reinflated it didn’t & saved her sight. Cost me a small fortune & to me was worth the money. She’s now nearly 5 years old with good vision, there is some scaring of the eye between the 12 & 3o’clock area but the rest of the eye looks completely normal.
    Hope you manage to clear you dogs ulcer with the eye drops.

jamj1974

Give Eddie a pat from me! I love a Cavalier King Charles – ours was just gorgeous!

jamj1974

Khani. You need to post done more pictures. Old dogs are just the best!

Karinofnine

I know how you feel, try not to worry because Eddie will pick up on it.

Don’t be afraid to go back to the vet – or a different practice if you feel you want a second opinion or more/different treatment.

As for operations, dogs just seem to take them in their stride, a bit off colour for a day or two, then back as they were pretty much. They don’t care about scarring or missing limbs the way we do.

Have a big Greyhound lick each from Teddy and Dot xx

khani
    Free Member

Just back from.. one of them .. You can’t say the word wa… In this house or the other three erupt…

Twenty one. Next feb.. 😀 and in true old dog style, the basket next to her is twice the size with a big cushion in it…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks all for the support, it really is much appreciated. Just got back from a little walk with Eddie. It’s taken about a week but he’s getting to the point where he’s now not that bothered about the cone, which is good. Seemed to have a bit more spring in his step today which is good to see.

Khani, Lucy looks a great old dog. Doing well on the cat poo.

And rc200f8, many many thanks for that story, gives us a lot of hope that. I think a graft was the op that the vet mentioned yesterday. I may well go get a second opinion too, just to be sure. Can’t be sure but I think a lot of the damage has been done by him scratching his eye as the vet didn’t give him a cone the first time we went to see them last week. Majorly pissed off about that as I suspect it wouldn’t be as bad now if he’d had one.

khani
    Free Member

It’s heartbreaking seeing your dog unwell, glad he’s getting perkier.. 😀 I’m sure no matter what happens short term with his eye, in the long run he’ll be fine, seen plenty over the years with bits missing, and after they’ve healed they just get on with it..
    They’re tough pooches..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks Khani, much appreciated. He’s even getting use to the seemingly constant application of eye drops now!

catvet
    Free Member

Needs a drop down pedicle flap, tricky but not too difficult with good light and ophthalmic instruments
    Referral would be expensive, GP Vet would be £300 – 500

jamj1974

Always the way Khani. Give them something proper and they find somewhere unsuitable and make it their own! Nothing is as loyal and loving as an older dog…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Needs a drop down pedicle flap, tricky but not too difficult with good light and ophthalmic instruments

Thanks but I have no idea what this means! Off to google…

catvet
    Free Member

Basically take an attached thin flap of the membrane covering the white ( scleral part) of eye, rotate it and suture it over the ulcer, it supports the damaged part and “heals” into the cornea. It is either left in situ or the bridging tissue can be removed later under local anaesthetic
    Hope that helps!!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. Good to know there’s things that can be done. Really don’t care about the cost when it comes to Eddie!

Insurance is flippin useless though, they claim that it’s an existing eye condition because he had an eye ulcer a year or so ago. Isn’t that a bit like saying a leg break is a pre-existing condition because you had a broken leg years ago?

ononeorange

Best wishes Mrblobby. I just dream of the day I can have a dog again.

He’ll be fine.

Pridds

Good luck with it all. Our 9 year old lurcher has developed epilepsy and it was horrendous. First fit she had I thought she was dying and I was in pieces. Had one cluster of fits end of June and then another set last week, now on tablets and she is back to her old self but last Thursday night was the embodiment of hell! Dogs are amazing but they put you through the wringer when they are not 100%

IMG_0514 by IanPriddle, on Flickr

mrblobby
    Free Member

Again thanks all for the support. Really is appreciated.

Pridds, yes they are and yes they do! Great photo too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Been to the vets this morning and it looks like the intensive regime of drops have halted the spread of the ulcer so plan is to continue with that and go for another check up Sunday morning.

Yet again, thanks for the support yesterday. Was having a bit of a bad time of it so much appreciated.

Had a week’s riding holiday in Scotland with some friends planned for next week. Mrs Blobby reckons I should still go but I just can’t leave Eddie right now.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Worried about my dog’ is closed to new replies.