• This topic is empty.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)
  • Work things your proud of…
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

This year, reorganised my department to ensure that the software and hardware on our automatic test equipment was standardised. Still a work in progress but makes us about 20% more productive by my estimates. I do derive immense satisfaction from working on things like the CD player below, because I know how much people appreciate them.

meddle
    Free Member

I made sure all you lovely people got your Amazon orders out in time for Xmas haha, I think my willy wave is currently winning.

helped a patient shed 2st 6.5lbs in 10 weeks

Isn’t that considered unhealthy? I’ve always been told you should only lose 1-2 lbs a week.

iDave
    Free Member

it’s possible to lose a stone a month quite simply and safely.

_tom_
    Free Member

Last month I did my first ever hour of live cameras and didn’t get shouted at by the director/producer 🙂

Nick

Project Managed and designed a bunch spreadsheets and databases to aggregate and track thousands of projects that the Water Companies were proposing to do, and charge the consumer from the priviledge.

This allowed the regulator to assess the cost, effectiveness and suitability (based on everything from environmental factors to water quality) and agree the what they could do. This meant that the cost that would have been passed on to every single customer was reduced, significantly.

Not sexy, but I saved everyone in the country some money, which is nice.

matt_outandabout

I get to help people change their lives. That does for me.
    I also as a bonus get to lead this bunch of legends 🙂

easygirl

About 15 years ago I attended a house where there were 2 children aged 3 and 4′ , a brother and sister
    They were begging for food from neighbours because their mother was a heroin addict and couldn’t feed them.they were malnourished, and their teeth were falling out.
    I had both children taken into care, and kept in touch fort 2 years, dropping them birthday presents off, they were taken into foster care.
    About 12 months ago I attended a job at a local hostel, I was approached by an 18 year old lad, who said, “are you sgt wade.”
    I told him I was, and asked why, he tod me he was the lad I had taken into care 15 years ago, and thanked me for saving him from his mother, he had made good and was starting an apprenticeship, he had never been in trouble with the police
    I had a good chat with him, gave him a hug,and cried my eyes out in the panda later.
    His sister was not as fortunate, she was a heroin addict, but that one moment was worth all the shit I have put up with for the last 20 years

matt_outandabout

ace easygirl, just ace.

KT1973
    Free Member

wors – Member

I get to design things that help pump the black gold out of the ground and make a few people very rich.

What things wors? Sounds interesting.

Some great stories here. Good thread!

HermanShake
    Free Member

I support young autistic adults. They all exhibit challenging behaviour (self injury/targetting staff), are non-verbal and severely learning disabled.

One of the four (my favourite) communicates through images by pointing at what he wants. We use digital photo frames with images of his staff member and the current or next activity. He usually points at things like food, the car, going out, his family.

Today I found out he’s been pointing at my photo in my absence! This is highly unusual and reflects a closeness I am privileged to have earned 😀

skiboy
    Free Member

i make stuff i can’t mention for people i can’t mention. but i’m good at it and that makes me happy,

i also made the ptolemy chamber for that beagle probe above ^^^ that now sits in the side of a **** off
    crator on Mars, or in other words my work is now junk on another planet 😯

I hoping to get a job soon with another bunch who make different stuff but i can’t mention that either. or they may kill us all. but i really want the job even tho’ my salary would be half what i earn now

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve been involved with making parts of this car from the prototype stage a few years ago and more recently seeing them through into production.

And also made some parts of these cars. I love motorsport so knowing something i’ve made is whizzing round a track or a rally stage is enormously satisfying 8)

redthunder
    Free Member

I did a spreadsheet once 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I was probably 22 when I painted this. It’s a big painting, 8×6 feet. It came about quickly, with little reworking, one of those magic days (in actuality two mornings) when everything flowed.

It was exhibited in London where I won a major prize, and was bought for a Norweigian collector. Years later I visited the Astrup Fearnley Museum of Modern Art in Olso. Nosing around the bookshop I found the catalogue from their opening exhibition. My work was included and illustrated along with some of the biggest names in European Art.

I kept this letter from a client, I hope I’m not betraying anyones confidence by posting it here, but when things are bleak in the studio, I feel at least once in my life I did something that inspired someone.

peterfile
    Free Member

I can pin my name to things like doings the legals for the 2012 Olympic stadia, Stratford station (and many of the major rail infrastructure and rolling stock deals in the UK, US and further afield), a host of hospitals and schools…but that’s just work.

The one thing that has properly made me proud was a care home for mentally ill patients that I did the legals for.

As a bit of pro bono “all big corporate law firms aren’t capitalist monsters” volunteering, the client (a PCT) asked if the lawyers who worked on the project would like to help out on “moving day”, where the patients who were currently being housed in a horrible 1970’s building would be moved to the new home.

I’d worked on this transaction for almost 2 years and knew the client very well from a number of deals, so decided this was a good deed and good for client relationships. Plus I’d never actually been in a structure I’d help build (with the exception of some at pre completion stage)!

We were basically there to help unpack their modest belongings and make cups of tea and stuff. Some of the people we helped move had been in the old building for over 20 years. Watching a grown man cry with happiness and excitement as he is shown his new room for the first time is something I’ll never forget. That man will also probably never forget watching some lawyer bubbling away as he unpacked a box full of teacups 🙂

I don’t cry often, but even thinking about that day still makes me well up.

Some of us have no idea just how lucky we actually are.

Northwind

Nothing too dramatic but this year we got a load of people into university who without us, probably wouldn’t have… And with a lot of these folks the alternatives aren’t too rosy just now.

Back in the bank I did a few things I’m still proud of- frinstance HBOS were frankly sickening in how they dealt with bereaved family members, and a few of us raising absolute hell at ground level started that changing. It helped knacker my career tbh but sod it. Standing in a midden knowing you’ve done something clean is a good thing.

seahouse
    Free Member

http://www.yorkhillchildrensfoundation.org/page/MediCinema.aspx

I built this place in the centre of Yorkhill Sick Kids Hospital in Glasgow a few years back. This came with big time feel good factor.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I have done nothing. At all.

skiboy
    Free Member

I love that painting mcmoonter I remember seeing it before when you posted it, in fact I love it more than your recent tree felling thread 😉

metalheart
    Free Member

Well I was responsible for doing the grunt work in getting the local Radiopharmacy Unit overhauled and upgraded to a modern standard and keep nuclear medicine running for the local nhs.

It involved finding out what was required, Liaising with the head radiopharmacist, the nhs trust and organising the other consultants (it was mainly a mech job), feasibility study, budget costs, doing the performance spec, tendering it and (mostly) overseeing it on site.

The low was chasing a tenderer who wasn’t responding by email and being told that he had dropped dead of a heart condition (hence his lack of response). He was only 39. RIP Francis my man. For what its worth, you helped me immensely.

The high was going back in past a year after it opened (I left the company halfway though the construction phase) and have the radiopharmatist show round the completed thing. boy was he chuffed! As was I, he got what he wanted and more importantly what he needed. Not often you get that feeling of satisfaction on a services job.

It took three years…

crikey
    Free Member

Good show everyone…

I do those easy-to-make-sound-heroic things that us nurses do, but the things I’m most proud of are less obvious.

I spent the night looking after a young woman who only had a boyfriend; no other next-of-kin. The pair of them were poor as church mice, but he was kind, attentive, and intelligent. She died about 7 in the morning. I spoke with her boyfriend, did all the official stuff, then watched him walk out into the rain and start to walk home.

I knew where he lived, I knew he had an hours walk.

After spending 12 hours sitting with his girlfriend, he didn’t even have enough money to get home.

Not having that, no way can I walk away and let that just go, so I got him some cash out and drove him home.

Still makes me think about how bad some people have things.

druidh
    Free Member

Genuinely heartwarming.

The most obvious thing I ever did was design a multi-function computer keyboard for use in bank teller positions.

sharki
    Free Member

Career!!!

Erm not got one of them.

So to add my most recent proud moment.

Conserving the habitat for several of the UK’s rarer Butterfly species by means of scrub removal, hedge laying and surveying the site for eggs.

theboatman
    Free Member

I was in the army and I’m now an A&E nurse, I always tried to do the best job I can and I am hoping one day I will bring them both into balance.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

That’s fine art work mcmoonter. Like very much.

bigjim

And also helps keep all these safe:

At least you didn’t design the steering, its all over the place!

thehustler
    Free Member

Young girl came into the our opticians, been tested at a prolific highstreet optician that perports to be cheap, she has a v high prescription and has been told she can only have bloody aweful looking glarres at a cost of £200 ontop of her NHS voucher, so we take a look choose a frame much better suited to her prescription with a aspheric (thinned) lense, all within the NHS voucher allowance.

Afew days later the little girl and mom come to collect the specs, both leave us in floods of tears as both mom and daughter cant believe the the glasses can look so nice!!

Thats a warm fuzzy moment for me and a little girl who now doesn’t mind her glasses.

bigjim

I inputted into the design, beta-tested and did quite a bit of sound design for these,
    http://www.camelaudio.com/camelphat.php
    http://www.camelaudio.com/camelspace.php
    http://www.camelaudio.com/cameleon5000.php

and made quite a few sounds for http://www.camelaudio.com/Alchemy.php

Ended up getting a ‘real’ job and wish I had the time to go back to it.

I did a lot of work for this http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/downloads/file/3989/core_path_plan which was quite satisfying but they’ve ruined my lovely maps in making this low-res version 🙁

kayak23

Made this…..(about 6 months)

A few that mean a lot to me, but nothing worth posting on here after reading all the great stuff folks have done.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

this is why I like STW so much, people from all works of life and types of jobs, some truly heart warm stuff here.
    As for me, from my aviation days fixing a few aircraft over night so hoilday makers could get to go on time.
    Last year thou, a few things I am proud of, from starting my own company and what I like to think been a small part of helping some top MTB riders/teams reaching there goals and results, to the faces/smiles of some of the kids when I do bikeability.
    And this year is looking more of the same. 😆

MrOvershoot

Sorry but easygirl & crikey and you others in the community services have just made me cry quite a bit.
    I’m my wife’s primary carer (secondary progressive MS) and its tough enough dealing with someone you know & love, but I would be a total basket case given some of the the situations you lot have to face.

Philby

A great thread without the usual bickering and trolling that happens with regularity on here. Its quite humiliating to see what the STW massive can achieve when they are not slagging each other on here.

Back in the 1990s I volunteered with Oxfam in their South West region after being made redundant. I organised two very successful fundraising campaigns. One was donations of warm clothing for refugees fleeing the various troubles in places like Kurdistan, Afghanistan etc. which overachieved its target by 400% and presented some significant logistical problems have to find storage for it all. The second was managing a fundraising campaign which raised over £0.25 million in just over a month to fly a planeload of emergency supplies, such as water purification systems from Filton airfield in Bristol to the Rwandan refugee camps in Goma.

More recently I have been chair of a well-known advice centre in Bristol for 8 years and led the organisation through a trebling in size which has enabled lots more people to have their problems resolved – its great to hear the difference we make to people’s lives when they are in crisis.

I’ve also volunteered with the Prince’s Trust for nearly 4 years helping over 300 young people look at setting up their own businesses which is extremely rewarding.

chewkw
    Free Member

hhhhmmm … none for me until now, perhaps there is but I just cannot remember any. 😯

Drac

We’re pretty **** ace aren’t we, lots of heart warming stories, lots of talent and ingenuity too.

To reflect Crikey’s post, yeah as health care professionals we do some stuff that make people say “Oh my God that’s so special” but it’s sometimes the smaller details that help. Filling out vulnerable adult forms so the elderly get the care they deserve and then being called back to see their house cleaned, the furniture replaced, equipment to help them lead or normal life. Or simply just getting the care they should have had but had been missed or not given.

speshspenner
    Free Member

I make Andrex…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Reading this has made me a bit miserable to be honest. Can’t think of anything notable. I spend most days enthusing and helping tomorrows engineers, which is fun, but hardly something to shout about!

Michael-B
    Free Member

I work in a college as an eLearning and educational Technology Coordinator. It doesn’t sound much but I love my job and try making teachers and student’s lives easier every day. I have been lucky enough to be pretty successful at it two from helping staff and students with disabilities to the simplest of 5 minute training sessions. I’ve I have been putting some of the more news worthy stories on my blog http://michael-bolton-learning-technology.blogspot.com/

Lots of people doing little things makes a big difference.

pilgrim
    Free Member

Wow. There are some amazing stories here.

The thing I’m most proud of seems a little trivial in comparison. When I first started teaching PE in a school in Batley, there was a pupil with a severe form of muscular distrophy, who would not participate in normal PE lessons due to his lack of mobility. He was a lovely, well spoken asian lad; very bright, but just unable to take part. The PE department at the time weren’t prepared to differentiate the learning to include him, and so he missed out on everything.

We were teaching the high jump inside the sports hall, and he stood there watching all the other kids have a go. I took him to the other end of the room, set up a low bar (10cm I think) and worked with him for the rest of the lesson to at least give him the opportunity to try. And that bloody kid worked so hard at getting it right. He would not give up, despite the fact he was unable to run, jump or perform anything vaguely similar to what was expected. And afterwards he thanked me for helping him try the high jump for the first time ever, and I went into the toilet by my office and sobbed.

Only a small thing, but it taught me a fundamental principle that had underpinned my educational philosophy ever since.

I’m such a soft bastard. I’m crying now! (it’s the lack of sleep and the new baby…) 😉

althepal

There’s a little boy running about in Pollok who has Allan with two “L”s as his middle name. My first delivery that was all mine. Won’t forget that.
    A fair few years ago got the chance to go to Albania for a few weeks to play football with and tryto help three big orphanages around the country (not all orphans though!).. Gave away some kit, spent half the day training with them, the other half trying to improve where they stayed, doing maintenance etc. Got to go out meeting the folk, learn about the country and drink a fair bit of home made Raki. An amazing and humbling experience. Came home looking a bit like a lobster and with a totally different perspective on life.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Work things your proud of…’ is closed to new replies.