Home Forums Chat Forum Work Shirts

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Work Shirts
    Mat

I’ve always bought my work shirts from TMLewin but my most recent order I’ve been distinctly unimpressed with both the fit and quality. I always used to order fitted but this time round I’ve ended up with a shirt that seems to have a load of excess behind my arms (on the torso). I definitely haven’t got any slimmer and my old shirts all fit nicely still. The material seems quite bobbly even just after the first wash which I’m also not overly pleased with.

Can anyone recommend alternate brands? Or should I just buy super fitted from TMLewin and hope the quality is better next time?

mattyfez

M&S?

Cheap and cheerful if you buy a 3 pack or whatever… seems ok to me.

bruk

I stick with M&S too. They wash well, iron nicely and have a variety of fits and styles and aren’t too pricey for something I never wear out of work. They are also one of the few places that do short sleeved shirts that are suitable for work. Major fashion faux pas maybe but need arms bare below the elbow for work.

Did once buy a selection from TM Lewin and had the sleeves taken off. When the sales assistant was querying why anyone would want short sleeved shirts I pointed out that it meant it was easier to shove your hand up a cow’s arse that way to do Pregnancy Diagnosis than with long sleeves. It did remove his smarmy smile for a second.

garage-dweller

While I have resorted to M&S recently due to previous favoured brands being re-cut and the quality being half decent the normal three in a pack ones are nowhere near as nice as good shirts in terms of cloth etc.  Yes it’s a first world problem but if you’re user to TM Lewin or other suit brands there’s a step down in niceness.

I’m long bodied, normal length arms and a big neck and fairly broad shoulders but I don’t have the gut of someone with my collar size.

Result is I’ve yet to find a shirt that stays tucked in reliably and that isn’t baggy.  Tailored stuff tends to lack shoulder space or sleeve length to give good mobility.

Even when I went to Moss everything they said met those criteria just didn’t.  So yes I’m on M&S but I’d rather something else if I could find it.

matt_outandabout

Another M&S wearer here, plus some Joules and John Lewis own brand for more casual office shirts.

reeksy

I’ve been custom order from Tailor Store for over a decade. Not too expensive, loads of choice of fabrics and details and if you get your measurements right, a perfect fit. Customer service is spot on too.

DrJ

Did once buy a selection from TM Lewin and had the sleeves taken off. When the sales assistant was querying why anyone would want short sleeved shirts I pointed out that it meant it was easier to shove your hand up a cow’s arse that way to do Pregnancy Diagnosis than with long sleeves. It did remove his smarmy smile for a second.

Did you then reveal that you actually work in IT ? :-)

Kryton57

I’ve recently ordered form Charles Twyrrt which is my usual go to and the quality is as good if not better than ever.   You just need to find/wait one of their multi buy offers for best value.  They have a “4 for….” Offer on now.

intheborders
    Free Member

+1 for Charles Tyrwitt, good fit for cyclists :-)

w00dster

Charles Twyritt for me too. Pretty much buy my entire wardrobe from them.

Fortunately we have an outlet store not far away. Very reasonable prices. I stocked up over summer for some of their knitwear at a very good discount.

Ive always found Lewin to be average quality. M&S just use weird materials, collars are too floppy for me.

lunge

Charles Tyrwitt for me too, albeit I’ve not bought any for a while.

petec
    Free Member

always CT for me.

they fit, and fit well. Last a few years. Shame they’ve gone from 5 for £100 to 4 for £150.

I need less shirts now as I’m not in all the time, but fortunately (?) the boy has discovered how nice they are as well. So we share an order, but I pay. This is apparently ‘fair’.

johnhe

My main source for the last few years is Charles Tyrwitt. I like that I can add a breast pocket.

prettygreenparrot

Shirts? With collars? I remember those at work.

I always found TM Lewin as you describe your recent experience OP. Bad fit.

I tried Paul Smith a couple of times. More expensive, no better, and in some cases very poor.

Charles Tyrwhitt I tried on occasion. OK, not great.

In the end I settled on M&S again as I had way back in the past.

And then I just stopped wearing shirts as they’re uncomfortable, expensive, and usually need ironing. I ended up wearing long-sleeved black Ts, sweaters, hoodies, and that sort of thing.

The only shirts I now have are some Aloha short sleeved ones, a dark green one for any formal events, and that’s it.

A few friends got tailored shirts but IDK, seems like a faff.

james-rennie

Uniqlo’s “super non-iron slim fit” shirts are great, and £35

I’ve used M&S and TM Lewis shirts but the Uniqlo offerings are miles ahead in quality and fit.

(They can be worn without ironing, but look better after a quick press)

Coyote
    Free Member

Not worn formal shirts since COVID kicked of the WFH phenomenon, excepting a couple of funerals.

Main go to was generally Next. Ticked most boxes in terms of fit, value, and longevity.

a11y

Charles Tyrwhitt extra slim fit with tweaked arm length suits me: weird-shaped body and most ‘normal’ shirts are usually too tight across the shoulders, too short in the arm but like a sail around the body. Even extra slim on me still looks a bit loose!

I’ve got a note of my measurements and what I ordered for reordering purposes in future.

the-muffin-man

Work shirts?

Slazengers finest polo shirts from everyone favourite retailer – indestructible! :-)

airvent
    Free Member

Asda George to be honest. For 12 pounds they are decent quality and most men these days won’t spot the difference between a 50 pound shirt and a 12 quid shirt with how casual outfitting is these days.

lunge

I like that I can add a breast pocket.

Is that to keep 20 B&H in or a leaking biro?

tonyd

Used to always buy M&S but tried Charles Tyrwitt a couple of years ago and really like them. Better quality and fit IMO.

johnhe

@lunge – more likely a passport or boarding pass. Or hotel key in the mornings on the way to breakfast to avoid it deprogramming itself because I put it beside my mobile phone in my pocket!

TiRed

Guide London for almost all of my nice shirts. I like a decent pattern and never wear a tie. I’m wide shoulders and slim build, but their small fits OK. And yes I have a couple of short sleeve shirts too. Bottle tops is my favourite and the number of positive comments is astonishing.

bjhedley

Second some of the above, all my work shirts are Charles Tyrwitt, although some have been Hawes and Curtis. Good value and good quality with the bonus that they’re also long enough in the sleeve and the body to stay tucked in. I used to have M&S autograph but they’re always a boxy, prefer the slim fit from CT. Sadly not Extra Slim anymore.

jp-t853

Another Charles Tyrwitt wearer here but I always manage to pick up new shirts and chino’s from the British Heart Foundation shops. I just look in them occasionally and they have them a reasonable percentage of the visits.

They have a deal with them and seem to send end of lines to the stores.

Trousers are usually £10 and shirts £6-£8

whyterider93
    Free Member

Next is a good option for me.
    We also have a Moss Bros outlet very close to us, so I pop in and can find shirts for £15-£20 which are absolutely lovely

nicko74

I’ve literally just been looking at these. Family say the Uniqlo shirts are good; Charles Tyrwhitt has always been a go to for me, although if anything it offers too many options (I have no idea how long my arms are). And the multibuys are class.

kilo

I’ve nothing to add only I just have this desire to start a thread titled Wok Shits but so far I’ve resisted (very dull day at work here – casual shirt wearing too).

nicko74

Welp, after looking through Charles Tyrwhitt on my PC I then got a Charles Tyrwhitt ad on Instagram offering 3 shirts for €99, delivered. Too good to pass up!

trail_rat
    Free Member

selected homme for my work kit here -reasonably cheap seems to last well and fit well – and more importantly , A. i don’t end up looking like i work in IT and B. Never see anyone else wearing the same shirt.

Get my shirts and trousers from them now.

Prior to that i just used slaters but they just look like bin bags on anyone that isn’t of average british build.

reeksy

Slazengers finest polo shirts from everyone favourite retailer

Fortnum & Mason are selling shirts now? Well I never.

CountZero

I’m just so glad I’ve never had a job where it was a requirement to wear a suit and tie, or ‘smart’ clothes – I made a sort of promise to myself that I’d never work anywhere where it was necessary, and managed to get through fifty years of gainful employment while sticking with it.

sillysilly
    Free Member
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.