Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Woodstove question – Clearview
  • nedrapier

Looking at stoves now, Clearview Pioneer is on the list because they’ve got so many fans (not that sort), but we’d prefer something with a bigger window, like the DG Ivar.

One of the plusses for the Clearview is it claims to operate well from 1-5kw. Most 5kw stoves don’t state a range that big, or go that low.

I know it’s not good for a stove, the chimney or the glass to run a stove shut down low. Is there anything special about the Clearview that allows it to get down lower with less ill effects, or are they just making a statement about low output that mfrs could, but don’t state about theirs?

Cheers!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

We’ve got a Clearview. If it’s running on low/lowmedium and you’re in the garden then you can really notice the smell.

I’m not convinced they run any better than other stoves on low.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Me neither. BUT, Clearview make great stoves – really well made and ‘just work’.
    We have two and have never had an issue with either (I bought both off eBay and stripped/refinished them to look like new). Hold their value very well if that matters at all.
    I doubt any stove does well at a low output. I’m wondering if they’re just talking about keeping the glass clean? If so then I’d agree with them. We generally only clean the glass once/winter and that’s to remove a haze of ash.
    The glass NEVER goes black unlike others I’ve seen.

bodgy
    Free Member

I owned a Clearview – they’re ok, but I think they trade on the name a bit. As shark bait states – most stoves don’t do well run low and slow. I found that the glass sooted as much as any other stove, although with fine adjustment you could get a nice flame picture going on.

The Morso that I had was SUPERB. I would recommend Morso without reserve or hesitation.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

The most controllable stove i have ever used is a Contura i5, whoops the Clearviews ass, i know because i’ve owned both.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’d just go with whatever you like. As long as it’s a quality maker, it’s going to be a decent stove. For big windows I like the stovax contemporary range; view, vision, vogue, riva. I have a Westfire 35 which also has a big screen in a small stove.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Also worth pointing out that if you live in a smokeless zone and buy an exempt stove then you won’t be able to close it down to burn at a low kw, so claim would be meaningless in that case I’d assume

nedrapier

I’m not, but I’d rather not be pumping out too many nasties anyway.

nedrapier

Cheers for the replies, contura i5 looks good, but too big.

Reading up on the Wesfire, looks nice too.

Presumably a depends on how much wood you’ve got in there? 2 logs burning brightly in a large box isn’t going to be much different to 2 logs burning brightly in a slightly smaller box?

Or is it all fizzicks and surface area? bigger box, more heat transfer, lower temp in box?

allfankledup

Dad has clearview, brother has a clearview, we have a clearview. They do the job – nice looking stoves

sharkbait
    Free Member

The most controllable stove i have ever used is a Contura i5

Nice stoves but woodburning only…. not multifuel which Ned might want

bearnecessities

Contura 51/51l works right down to minimum without sooting if dry logs, and is smaller than i5 (not quite as good looking though).

Edit: and wood only as above caveat.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My sister has a cortura i5 and although it is great, looks nice and she loves it, it has a big firebox so can kick out some heat. People have written on here before that companies claiming 5kw is to get it within a building regs criteria and in reality many with bigger firebox like the i5 will be capable of more.

bearnecessities

Aye, mine’s a ‘nominal’ 5kw so no need for vents, but kicks out far more at full tilt, by their own admission on the literature, but didn’t need venting according to hetas.

It all confuses me.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Even though the i5 is rated higher i can confirm the 51L puts out more heat in the real world because it has a lot more thermal mass, i know because i also have a Contura 54 which is the taller version of the 51L.

The i5 will burn for hours on a fill cleanly and on a low setting, i do know a little bit about stoves, sadly.
    It has been designed by Contura to run at 5kw.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you put fire bricks in the stove you can reduce the size of the fire pit and have a smaller fire running at a higher heat to create the same output

I know as i have a massive fire 8kw [ its a huge fireplace that had an old range in it- and run it like this so rather than it having the fire pit of a double door stove its down to the size of a one door fire

no issues in operation

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just had a look at the i5 and I was getting mixed up, she has the 51l. And as you say it can belt out some heat if you want it to presumably much more than 5kw

typer
    Free Member

I’ve got an Esse 125, large fire box with a big viewing window that never soots up with it’s airwash system unless you try to run it too low. Great stove, chucks out some heat too 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

nedrapier – Member
    Reading up on the Wesfire, looks nice too.

The Westfire 35 is a 4.3kw and I’d concur that it won’t have you sitting in your undercrackers at full pelt due to it having a fairly small firebox. Perfect for my lounge which is only 4 metre square and mid terrace/cottage and always run at ramming speed due to being in a smokeless zone and not having the option to shut it down much. The Westfire 35 also fitted perfectly within my small fireplace space, many other good stoves are available based on slightly different criteria. I was very much looking at a stovax box, but a Westfire 35 ex display came up on ebay at half retail price, so I went for it. The general consensus on here, if you want to be a bit envro conscious, has always been to buy a smaller stove and run it around max, rather than a big stove shut down. I also liked the Westfire 17, but it was a bit too big for my space available. The big window stoves also depend on whether you prefer a box or contemporary stove (with legs) like that DG ivar you mention, just personal preference. There are so many to choose from and any quality branded ones should do the job. You just need to find the one that fits within your fireplace, heats roughly to your room size and is to your taste aesthetically.
    This is what I have ended up with and happy

bueller
    Free Member

I have a Clearview 650 with back boiler, but I wouldn’t replace it with another. I think there are nicer, more efficient stoves around now.

I have heard Clearview as a company are actually for sale. I’m led to believe there isn’t much interest within the industry to purchase them though, as there are stringent new rules imminent and it will take an awful lot of investment in Clearview for them to achieve what is required.

Whereabouts are you Ned?

finephilly
    Free Member

Aarow ecoburns are very good value imo

timber

We chose a Burley for big window, large firebox for logs, efficiency and because the door opens the right way for the room.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Woodstove question – Clearview’ is closed to new replies.