Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Wood Burning Stoves-UK/Euro made? Recommendations?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

Looking at stoves for the house and the current favourite is a Waterford Stanley Tara room only 8kW as it comes in enamel ivory. Has anyone used Stanley before? Good or bad experiences? Should we stay away from Chinese made stoves (note to self to check where the Tara is made)? Any UK/ euro manufacturers that you can recommend? Preference is a classic looking stove as opposed to modern type one.

Cheers

Stoner
    Free Member

Charnwood Cove 2 in ivory gets my vote. But bloody expensive so I went for a Spanish one instead.

Simwit

Have recently installed a Chesneys stove. Not cheap but I believe they are British made and the quality is very good

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Take a look at the Dunsley Highlander range, I have a smaller one.

(And my stove bloke said that cheap imports had a reputation for warping in use)

Stoner
    Free Member

And my stove bloke said People who sell eye-blisteringly expensive UK stoves said that cheap imports had a reputation for warping in use)

FTFY 😉

headfirst
    Free Member

Very happy with our clean-burning Yorkshire Stove by Dunsley. Traditional but simple/clean lines to it, but not available in ivory enamel though…

bigblackshed

I’ve just ordered one of these.

Merlin from Stovetech

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@ stoner – he didn’t sell me the stove, he just installed it. It came from a cheapie website with a free pair of gauntlets. Bargin. Thought you had a blisteringly expensive foreign jobbie, anyway?

Oh, and ivory – well I wouldn’t have anything but black on a black stone base, for reasons of both dirt and heat transmission. YMMV.

Stoner
    Free Member

mine is a heart-warmingly inexpensive one (£699) on bargin from a shop Church Stretton way. But surprisingly substantial. a Lacunza Leyre.

A fork lift loaded it into the side door of my campervan. Got it back home and had a “brace yourself, Rodney” moment with my mate as we tried to manhandle it out again 🙂

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The stove bloke took mine apart while it was still on the pallet, said he removed about half the weight. Sorry this is too late to be of help.

Albanach
    Free Member

Charnwood Cove 2 in ivory gets my vote. But bloody expensive so I went for a Spanish one instead.

Never a good sign when they to phone for price details. What Spanish one did you go for Stoner?

Have recently installed a Chesneys stove. Not cheap but I believe they are British made and the quality is very good

Cheers simwit but I think Chesneys ivory finish is Matt paint which is susceptible to staining from ash and soot but I’ll give them a shout to confirm.

I’ll give Dunsley a look as well. The enamel ivory requirement is coming from my wife and automatically adds €150-€300 on to the price!

sing1etrack

Aga must be British made surely? Though I wouldn’t like to bet too much on it!

Ours is a Little Wenlock which has been fine for three years, seems well built, looks the part, warms up nicely, etc. Agas are a reasonable mix of modern and traditional looks IMO. They may well do them in ivory and other colours too I think.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Obviously we’re all going to recommend what we’ve got – so my vote is for the Clearview Vision 500.
    British made, welded steel (no seams to leak) and work beautifully. I believe they may have come up with the airwash system for keeping the glass clean, and it does.
    Bear in mind how easy a stove is to live with. For instance, you will need to replace the firebricks and internal baffle at some point – how easy to get are they and can you fit them yourself without hassle (someone on here has a stove where the firebricks are held in by brackets that are screwed to the casing, and the screws had seized/broken).
    Clearview stoves are proper expensive new (£1300) but I have bought three off ebay for about £6-700 each and spent about £60 replacing firebricks/seals and repainting them and they really look like new.
    One of the stoves had legs that were too short and the Clearview shop swapped them for a new set of longer legs free, even though mine were well used!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Albanach – Just remembered, my BIL has a Jotul F400 he’s going to be selling. looks just like this:

mcmoonter
    Free Member

If it’s got to be white, have a look at the Dovre Vintage range.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Sorry McM but every time I see that stove i think of Evil Edna

dickydutch

Efel Harmony 3?

sv

We have an ickle 4kw Aarow stove.

Aarow Stoves – Devon.

back2basics
    Free Member

@sharkbait

we are about to get a new Clearview 500 with a back boiler, we seen them in the flesh and look really tasty. colours are also quite subtle and nice.
    looking forward to using them this winter.
    have you used coal in them?

mt
    Free Member

Hwam are really good liked our old one at previous house, not cheap mind but modern with a glass fronted oven on the top. Have a Dunsley at the moment, pretty solid and made in Yorkshire. Also used to have a fantastic enamel Franco Belge that would fit half a tree in, very well made.

sharkbait
    Free Member

B2B: They are a joy to use frankly – very controlable. make sure you get a stove thermometer and put it on the front of the stove above the door, not on the flue.
    We use a bit of coal occasionally but only about 6 lumps at a time max. Smokeless is amazing as it will still be glowing red 24hrs after you put it on and it gives off a lot of heat. But the installer of our most recent stove said that it’s not good for the flue liner and that you should only use [dry] wood or grade 1 coal.
    The stove won’t mind what you put in it but the flue will.

Edukator
    Free Member

I bought a Jotul F602 without the window door as I wanted something to cook on that would run happily on pine. I recently removed all the flue to Karcher it and found a brush was enough to remove a thin coat of non-greasy soot – a tribute to the stove’s ability to burn resin-loaded wood without creosote build up.

grum
    Free Member

I think the white looks horrible personally but each to their own.

I know a hippy metalworker who makes his own – thinking of getting him to make me one.

thegreatape
    Free Member

We chose a Woodwarm Fireview for it’s slightly chunkier less ornate look, plus the big window. Made in Devon as I recall.

(not our actual one)

fasthaggis

Mini thread hijack. I want a stove for my new super shed. As it is national shed week I thought it only proper to start doing some research. Found some YouTube examples of home made ones ( old lpg cylinders ). Has anyone had a go at this ? I have access to welding and cutting gear.

Edukator
    Free Member

No, but I brazed up an empty petrol tank – having put the filler neck over the exhaust pipe of a car and run the engine for a few minutes before starting and then during the brazing. I still felt pretty stressed when I lit up.

flowerpower
    Free Member

The sized brackets that Sharbait talks about belong to a morso. I would have recommended them, but we had to drill out bracket from one, and the other, an old enamelled squirrel is falling apart too 😥

Both have been great til now, no idea how old they are, but will keep an eye on this thread for replacement options…

sharkbait
    Free Member

The sized brackets that Sharbait talks about belong to a morso.

I didn’t know it was a Morso 😯
    I am surprised and disappointed at the same time – I’ve ready a lot of good things about them on here but it goes to show that some stoves age better than others.

Albanach
    Free Member

Cheers shark bait but opted for an inset stove instead so went for an Esse and pretty happy with how it looks but can’t comment in the performance as we haven’t lit it yet!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Ah, well we put a Clearview inset stove in last November and it’s interesting to compare its performance with the standalone Clearview 500 we also have.

Although they, theoretically, put out nearly the same heat we have found that when the inset is first lit it takes a fair bit longer to feel the heat in the room.

This is because the inset is actually pumping some of the heat into the walls surrounding the stove. The result here is that our entire fireplace heats up over a period of a couple of nights and even when the stove isn’t lit you can feel the heat from the fireplace for a couple of days as it’s acting like a giant storage heater. So this room is now gone from probably being the ‘coolest’ in the house (v big room with not enough rads) to being the warmest in the winter.

So when you first light up your inset don’t be too disappointed if you don’t get instant gratification* – after a few days of evening burning you will def feel the benefits.

*We have two stoves in the house, an inset and a standalone so I can compare the performance of the two. If you have just one stove I’m sure you will be more than happy with the inset – ours has made a huge difference.

Albanach
    Free Member

Cheers that sounds similar to our place so looking forward to lighting it come the colder weather

back2basics
    Free Member

quick (stupid) Q, just noticed after looking at stoves on Ebay, you can get OIL ones…. with back boilers…. are these to be connected to an oil tank outside then?

Lazgoat
    Free Member

We have a Stovax Stockton 5. We looked at a few Chinese ones and the difference in quality was very distinct.

Bunnyhop

We also have a British made stovax Stockton. Can be used in smokeless zones.

maxray
    Free Member

We got a Charnwood, they are expensive but they are excellent quality and the one we have has a nifty rotating grate for wood or multi fuel and a nifty choke mechanism on the front.

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Well chuffed with our clear view. Glass as clean now as we had it 6 years ago. Throws out lot of heat & nicely controllable

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

In laws have two jotuls. Excellent stoves.

We’ve got a nordica TermoSuprema range which is pretty good, kicks out a lot of heat and runs an 18kw back boiler and thermostat air control. Massive, though.

Have previously had a villager which was nicely made.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Wood Burning Stoves-UK/Euro made? Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.