Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)
  • Women’s Olympic XC MTB race (spoilers)
  • fazzini

If Evie isn’t going to win, then I’m happy for Jolanda to do so, just for the Goldilocks advert… 🤣 Oh, and the fact she is absolute machine!

riddoch

I hadn’t realised that the BBC was using the same  feed with the same commentary as Eurosport.

snotrag

Impressive dominance by the Swiss so far.

theotherjonv

Swiss 1-2-3

Did they get something on set up right that others missed, eg: tyre change for the weather?

snotrag

They just look really slick, they will be one of the best “teams” in terms of prep, bike setup, etc. Even their pit guys dishing the bottles out look really slick!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Ah, someones remembered to open the commenentators mic channels!

Hels may have friends at Discovery

You are about as knowledgeable as the aussie bint and south african chump on commentary this morning,

😉

kayak23

That bloody helicopter is a bit much. 🙄

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

I was just about to say the same – surely a top end drone or two would be cheaper than the fuel alone…

lovewookie

climbs like a butterfly.

er, what?

theotherjonv

I love it when the commentators start a sentence with no idea what they’re about to say, but I’d never had butterflies down as one of our planet’s natural climbers

Standing on flowers, virtually unsurpassed.

kayak23

Climbs like a butterfly, runs like a bee

crazy-legs

Dominant ride that, class of her own.

snotrag

Some gap! Bravo Jolanda. What a result for r Switzerland!

markgraylish
    Free Member

Has that ever happened before? 1-2-3??

tenfoot

Happy with that. She deserved it.

Mad though. No PFP, no Lecomte, no Rissveds. All riders that have been doing well in the WC.

kayak23

Awesome. Good track that.

kayak23

I’m liking Terpstra’s Skyway Tuff wheels.

tenfoot

Great effort by Richards

snotrag

7th for Evie is great stuff, well done!

john_l
    Free Member

Fantastic to see Neff win. Swiss dominance when it mattered.

Courtney will be gutted.

Evie – 7th, what a champ!

qwerty
    Free Member

Swiss precision runs like clockwork.

ayjaydoubleyou

Has that ever happened before? 1-2-3??

Never in mtb, would think Aussie swimmers or American runners would have done it at some point

john_l
    Free Member

“disappointment for Richards”

FFS, the BBC really are shit aren’t they?

fasthaggis

Hard race with last night’s rain,brilliant effort from Evie behind the Swiss army .

lovewookie

she didn’t seem that disappointed. not as much as lacomte anyway, she looked miffed at the finish.

didnthurt

Bugger! I slept in. I’ll try to watch on the Eurosport app later.

stevious

It’s a Zorro podium.

Swiss swiss swiss.

BearBack
    Free Member

Girls out jumping MvdP

To be fair, jolanda out jumped all the men but n1no.

nickc

Great win for Yolanda, would’ve been a different race if PFP hadn’t slipped on the first lap I think. But that’s how it goes sometimes.

7th for Evie is amazing!

Bunnyhop

So thrilled for Evie. She’s going to encourage so many little girls and young women to take up our fantastic sport.

Whoever dragged Rochelle out for commentating needs a firm talking to – dire.
    She kept saying the two Swiss riders in 2nd and 3rd places were helping each other, then later tried to dig a hole by explaining what she meant by that comment.

snotrag

I want to see all the post-race interviews, as on the BBC we got them crossing the line and thats it…

Commentary, absolutely dire. The BBC put no effort into it, choosing to use the ‘world feed’ commentary rather than their own – and they seem to have their own commentary for almost every other sport!

Boardman could have done it, and he knows enough about MTB not to have his foot in his mouth for an hour and a half, and hes already on the payroll!

bill-oddie
    Free Member

Great win for Yolanda, would’ve been a different race if PFP hadn’t slipped on the first lap I think. But that’s how it goes sometimes.

Possible but it was pretty clear she wasn’t going to touch Neff I think? PFP consistently making mistakes throughout.

That kind of course where being the cardio fitness top gun is way less of an advantage.

PFP is alright on jumps, corners, berms etc but has always been a bit rubbish on wet roots, techy rocks etc

john_l
    Free Member

Commentary, absolutely dire. The BBC put no effort into it, choosing to use the ‘world feed’ commentary rather than their own – and they seem to have their own commentary for almost every other sport!

And who thought Alex Scott would be a good pick? Have they never seen the One Show? Her interview with Pidcock’s parents was cringeworthy

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Whoever dragged Rochelle out for commentating needs a firm talking to – dire.

She is a BBC favourite, no idea why she is rubbish. BBC need to find an alternative there must be a few former riders who can string a coherent sentence together. MTB XC getting more TV time would help

big_n_daft
    Free Member

PFP is alright on jumps, corners, berms etc but has always been a bit rubbish on wet roots, techy rocks etc

She didn’t like the big drop, she used the boards everytime, almost caused Neff to fall she was so slow the first time

I would question why the boards were in place, I suspect a few teams “complained” wouldn’t have changed the result. Neff over the rhythm section was sublime, flew over the jumps

greyspoke
    Free Member

I am glad I don’t have to listen to those two commentators again.

nickc

Possible but it was pretty clear she wasn’t going to touch Neff I think? PFP consistently making mistakes throughout.

Yeah maybe, I thought much of her mistakes in the latter parts of the race were clearly borne of frustration, I think had she been up near Yolanda, she might have had a different race. Impossible to say really, and agree that she didn’t seem as comfy as Neff on some of the bigger features.

igm

Boardman could have done it, and he knows enough about MTB not to have his foot in his mouth for an hour and a half, and hes already on the payroll!

I like Boardman.

Boardman is a cyclist’s cyclist, not just a sometime bike racer. Puts some effort in on the issues that affect everyday cycling, commuting etc. 👍

And with his sense of humour there would have been some very tongue in cheek comments about “seeing their road cycling background coming out as they tuck in behind their teammate for the draft” (at 5mph up a climb).

Oh one more thing, when he was doing the technique section on descending on the TdF show, he said outside foot down to balance the bike on the corners.  Star.  I coach children and most road coaches say inside foot up to avoid pedal strike, and while I agree pedal strikes are a bad thing, the balance and weighting of the bike is far more important 99% of the time on the road. And just saying it differently makes children think about it differently.

snotrag

Be interesting to see who the BBX have commentating on the BMX racing….

igm

Turning back to the women’s race today, I thought they made that look really easy, in particular they looked less laboured on some of the uphill sections than the men – though the rain maybe changed the pedalling/riding style required.
    I would probably have struggled to walk it, never mind ride, never mind race, and I am nothing but impressed.
    And the 45 year old Brazilian mother at her third or fourth summer olympics, who also does cross country skiing in the Winter Olympics. I haven’t seen her, I know nothing more than that about her, but that’s seriously impressive, and I’m sure my wife will understand my passing crush on those facts alone. Actually they did mention she’s married to another Olympian – ah well.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Women’s Olympic XC MTB race (spoilers)’ is closed to new replies.