Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Wolverhampton – The end of the world?
  • reluctantlondoner

Is there a worse, more unremarkable place in the Uk? Here for the weekend to catch up with friends, and as a Wolvo virgin it’d be fair say I’m underwhelmed. God awful place. Does it have a purpose? Am I wrong?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You have never been to Essex then

MicArms

Short answer, yes. I would rather have a km of barbed wire pulled out of my arse than go there of my own free will.

bloodynora
    Free Member

A purpose? Only played a major part in the industrial revolution that changed the world forever but you knew that right? As did all that area and the Black Country. The Black Country museum is well worth a visit by the way, you might learn something. HTH.

MicArms

Black Country museum being in Dudley, not wolvo, so well worth a visit.

jekkyl

Just over 30 mins drive to Cannock.

user-removed
    Free Member

I visited briefly whilst deciding which photography degree course to attend as a mature student. I’d made up my mind it wouldn’t be Wolverhampton before I even got off the train.

No offence to anyone. FWIW I ended up in Sunderland, which is pretty much a smaller version of the above… But at least Sunderland has the saving grace of having some glorious countryside nearby to escape into.

CountZero

A fair number of British heavy rock and metal bands came from that area; it gave them a good excuse to get good enough to get the hell away as soon as possible…

witty.name
    Free Member

If you think walvo’s bad, try walsall.Count thy chickens i’d say.

tomhoward

You’ve never been to Slough, have you?

darrell
    Free Member

or Bolton

kayak23

Or Coventry.

plumber
    Free Member

I quite liked the art gallery they have there

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I live on the outskirts, and okay its pretty much like any town in that it has its good and bad, but generally it has been here for a long time and there is some very good architecture to be seen, good art gallery, church etc…

and the countryside is right on the doorstep, shropshire, south staffs, worcs, ironbridge all in easy riding distance…

its not bad at all compared to a lot of places, its always had a bad rap, but i don’t see it.

see…. i could show you the crap, but i think your seeing that all to easily anyway..?

its bostin!!

kayak23

tomhoward – Member
    You’ve never been to Slough, have you?

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-935cbXTt_g&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-935cbXTt_g[/video]

Haze

FWIW I ended up in Sunderland, which is pretty much a smaller version of the above… But at least Sunderland has the saving grace of having some glorious countryside nearby to escape into.

Didn’t stick around Wolves too long then?

maccruiskeen

I’d made up my mind it wouldn’t be Wolverhampton before I even got off the train.

Wolverhampton’s curse is that out the train window you see its arse as you arrive. Its true of most places that you don’t see their most attractive aspects from the railway line but even seconds before you roll into the station theres madmax dereliction. Its like taking the train to ESP Powdercoaters 🙂

Wolves isn’t a terribly remarkable town but its just a town, thats what towns generally are like, but that train approach really colours peoples view of it.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

or just drink, everything looks better when you’ve had a couple

_tom_
    Free Member

Peterborough. Dire, dire place.

sc-xc

Loads of venues for live music, and a Championship football team (for the next few weeks at least)

Haze

Ah the Combemere, possibly the only pub in the land with a tree growing in the gents.

Great pub, fantastic beer 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Agreed slough is worse, but if the best you can say about Wolverhampton is it’s better than slough it doesn’t really do a lot for the case in favour of Wolverhampton.

OP, it could be worse I once spent new years eve in Wolverhampton. Worst night out ever.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member
    TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Always enjoy visiting the Black Country because I have found the local people there are the friendliest I have come across in England.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

and the old railway line, which acts as an off road motorway to access of all kinds of wonderful trail delights…

jekkyl

Granted the people of Wolverhampton do speak a bit funny. Now what was it the yanks call a sweet potato?

Haze

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrIqSlt9PXg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’m from Penn. Great riding, there’s so much around! Wombourn, Himley, Baggeridge, Penn Common, Highgate common and loads around the border, Shropshire, Bridgnorth. I kind of miss it.

Having said that, I moved to Australia. 33 years in Wolvo was enough for me.

takisawa2

Best thing about Wolverhampton is the Civic Hall.
    Brilliant concert venue, best in the Midlands. The sound in there is just great. Seen some ace bands there over the years.

And the locals are spot on. 😉

Tettenall is a nice place, some really nice places on that side.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Willenhall. Now thats a dire miserable place if ever there was one. I was working in the town center a wee while ago and it was like stepping back to the early eighties and not in a good way.

Z is for stripey oss. 😀

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

we used to have a guy come to see Stourbidge fc play a few years back now, he was from Willenhall, “Willenhall bloke” we called him – he got banned for keep getting his cock out!! 😯

jekkyl

The canal’s a decent ride too, lovely red gravel path passes nice countryside & pubs.

bhmartin
    Free Member

As A lifelong Albion supporter it must be the worst place in the world.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve been to a lot worse places, Bradford is by far the worst I’ve been to recently though.

singlespeedstu

Anyone that thinks Wolves is rough has never been to the paradise island of Tipton…

sc-xc

As A lifelong Albion supporter it must be the worst place in the world.

Albion fan here – don’t really consider them rivals. The Villa however….

pocketrocket
    Free Member

Wolverhampton gave you the first car to go over 200mph, the Sunbeam Mystery.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I come from Rotherham and had girlfriend in Penn, went to see her for the weekend and getting off the train in Wolverhampton looked like the reverse of leaving Rotherham. Deja vu all over again!

Haze

Wolves fan here, we don’t consider you Baggies rivals either.

Shrewsbury however…

sc-xc

Wolves fan here, we don’t consider you Baggies rivals either.

Shrewsbury however…

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Wolverhampton – The end of the world?’ is closed to new replies.