Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Winter/Mud tyre choice question
  • thered

I currently run Bonty Mud X’s front and rear and fancy something a bit burlier, besides the rear is wearing out.

I’m thinking Black Chili Baron’s or TrailRaker’s but I have a 20km commute on the road to get there & back from my local trails and need to know what effect this will have on these tyres and where and how I should best compromise.

Step forward, m’learned forumista’s. Please opine.

warpcow
    Free Member

Baron. I’ve got a Trailraker somewhere in the basement, but it hasn’t been used for ages, it’s just too specific. It’s pretty awful in anything but proper mud. BC Baron is pretty magic on most wet, sloppy surfaces and wears ok too.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’m a huge fan of Trailrakers for proper muddy conditions, but that was back when I used to be a habitual tyre-swapper based on the trail conditions for each ride. Now I stick with one and accept the compromises.

A mate of mine recently ditched his Trailrakers because they were lethal on the hard-pack snow/ice we’ve had a lot of recently. They’re certainly very hard work on the road.

If it were me with a 20k road commute before I even get off-road, I’d be going for a lower profile faster rolling tyre. Why do you want to go burlier than the Mud X?

c_klein87

MAXXIS EXO BEAVER

Northwind

Barons don’t wear massively fast on hard stuff- the magic rubber- and tbh, with mine the sidewalls tend to wear to shreds before the tread does. They’re growly and slow on tarmac. But I suppose all mud tyres are. 20km won’t be much fun but the question is really how much less fun than a faster mud tyre

They also seem less dependant on the tread shape than some, I spoiled a set of storms iirc or mud xs riding too much on hard stuff, the tread went all round and lost its bite.

scruff
    Free Member

Thee isn’t any mud on the Chase that warrants proper mud tyres you nobber, no wonder the ride homes hard work. 😆

DanW
    Free Member

Just get Beavers in whatever width makes you happy. Tons of grip and nowhere near as draggy as the other options

votchy
    Free Member

never tried mud X’s so cannot compare but am running geax daturas at the mo, roll well on tarmac and grip well in mud, dirt cheap in 26″ size and set-up tubeless easy peasy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hijack:

I have some 26er trailrakers for sale, excellent condition, if anyone wants.. Not that draggy on road but never tested the wear!

jk1980
    Free Member

I’ve just got some WTB Wardens. Not tried them yet, but my brother has a set and reckons they’re good. Cheap on CRC at the moment also

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Winter/Mud tyre choice question’ is closed to new replies.