Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Winter tyres/wheels yay or nay?
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

Sensible for a rear wheel drive car or just a load o ‘ollocks?

br
    Free Member

Where do you live, and if it snowed do you have to drive?

FWIW – if you NEEDED winter tyres, you’d already have them on

Mine went on in Nov, and will stay on until after Easter.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What @br says

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve been THINKING since October and after a drive up and over a 20% hill to get home in sleet n Saturday made me decide I NEED some.

We live in North Wales in the Coast, snow’s not a massive issue here but wet, icy country roads are. Droppin Eye Jnr of at nursery involves a 5 mile drive done a single track lane with tight bends and varying gradients.

FUN FUN FUN in the dry but probably GNARLY GNARLY GNARLY in poor conditions.

scotroutes

Remember that winter tyres aren’t just for snow. They offer better grip and steering in anything less than 7C.

bruk

Have put them on both cars the last 2 years. Well worth it, they go on in Nov and stay on till April. Actually have a set for a BMW 3 series ( will fit 1series too I think) sitting garage after wife changed her car if you are interested? Decent tread left 7 mm and Goodyear tyres with Dezent rims

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a test recently that concluded that winter tyres were better in summer than summer tyres were in winter. So if you only fit one type, fit winter ones. Pre company car, I used to run both and swap twice a year. Yes I noticed a difference.

Sui
    Free Member

+1 scotroutes. the 5 series has a set, though very late changing them over this year, it makes mucho difference when it gets below 7c and wet. I wouldn’t say i have a NEED, but i like the comfort of them being on.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Oddly enough, the guy I sold the car to, with the extra wheels, has just text to say how amazing they are in the snow.

scotroutes

I just leave them on all year now as the disadvantages are slight. Mind you, I live in Aviemore so temperatures below 7C can be experienced almost throughout the year. All Season tyres are another option of course.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP, there have been lots of threads discussing this and also all-season tyres which you leave on all year round.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have a set waiting to go on my car as soon as the doctor says I can drive a manual again. A couple of years ago I had just the fronts on my old Focus and they were brilliant. We live on a hill that is busy enough to compact the snow but not busy enough to clear it, so it turns to ice very quickly. With the winters on I could just pull off without the wheels spinning and even drive uphill from a standing start. With normal tyres on you stand no chance.

igm

They seem to wear better than summer tyres in the winter too.

My wife’s 3-series has 61k on the clock and next spring we’ll have to buy it it’s first set of new summer tyres. Well tears anyway.

The winter tyres have two years on them now and are fine for another year or two.

We’re getting the equivalent of 30-40k out of tyres on a BMW

Defender
    Free Member

They are sensible on any car at this time of year, I’ve run them for the past 6 winters and wouldn’t be without them at this time of year.

Northwind

I never took mine off last year. Probably should have done but they were helpful off road- parking at races and the like. Only you can really know from your usage but I’ve found minimal downside and tons of plus.

(and if you’re happy buying used and have a common model- I got a set of 4 ugly alloys with barely used quality snow tyres for less than I pay for 2 new, equivalent quality tyres- people often sell them on separately when they sell cars)

eyerideit
    Free Member

@bruk I shouild have read the posts sooner, I’ve just ordered a set of steel rims and Conti winter grips.

bruk

No worries. May post them again now as did put them on classifieds before. I think much easier and often cheaper just swapping whole wheels over as can go down rim size and no charge to swap them if you do it yourself. Best tip buy a trolley jack.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve always bought the steel wheels from a local scrapyard. Tell the tyre fitter to spin them on the machine before fitting the tyres because steelies from crashed cars are sometimes bent. Scrappie will take them back and squash them.

Mrs Gti’s car has no spare so in summer I keep one winter wheel in the boot and vice-versa in winter.

Kato

I have a BMW and I’ve been bitten before with the snow. My winters were bought and its not snowed since. Definitely more grip in the cold though. I put them on in October and they stay on until it gets warmer. I have the luxury of a spare wheels and somewhere to store them though. It’d be a right ball ache if I had to swap tyres

househusband

Have had them on my Mini Cooper for a couple of months now; spare wheel set comprising steel rims and Nokian WR D3 tyres. The new rims don’t have the tyre pressure monitor system valves in them (they’re £65 each!) so the car has an amber warning light on but I can live with that. Had them for several winters before on previous car but swapped tyres over.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

On beginning of December, I can now go out without fear of getting stuck if it snows. They really do work, enables you to drive on stuff like this at fairly normal speeds.

Kryton57

We live in North Wales in the Coast,

Crikey OP you moved house.

Sui
    Free Member

mine are Nokians too WR A3, from Oponeo (online tyre place based out of Poland – bloody good service), Like Kato i bought them for last winter and it didn’t bloody snow 🙁

eyerideit
    Free Member

I nearly bought the Nokains, but as it’s more likely to be icey / generally crappy and wet here I opted for the Contis as they perform better in the conditions we’ll experience.

Now I’m thinking I should have opted for run flats as there’s usually not much space for a spare – might have to buy one of those silly flat things just in case!

@kyrton, yes, we left London in September for a new life on the Llyn Peninsular. A total lifestyle change from a well paid, relatively easy jobs in the ‘creative industries’ to starting up a coffee shop/bakery.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My daughter lives in Bucharest and my sister in law lives near Frankfurt, winter tyres aren’t an option, they have to be fitted from October to March.

alpin
    Free Member

^^ not quite true. i live in Munich. the rule is that you can leave the summer tyres on all year, but if you get caught driving in snow or icy conditions you’re in trouble.

was glad to have them today…. arrived back from the UK with incessant snow updates, but no snow, to this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qiLDZA]DSC_0755[/url] by sod_the_taxman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qy3tEN]DSC_0758[/url] by sod_the_taxman, on Flickr

^^ that was the main Autobahn from the south to Munich… glad we weren’t on the “landstrassen”… total white out!

lodious
    Free Member

I fitted a set of winter wheels to my wifes car in November. I did a 5 hour round trip today starting at -6.5 degC over ice covered roads. They have been amazing. The first hour of the journey was on untreated B roads with lots of bends. The car just felt solid. They took a lot of the stress out of the journey. I don’t fast, but I could drive at speeds approaching normal without feeling worrying they car was going to slide. I honestly don’t I could have done the journey without them.

Cost wise, it’s a no brainer. The alloys were £62 per wheel and are narrower and smaller (17″‘s) so the tyres are cheaper than for the summer wheels by about £50 per tyre. I recon I can probably sell the wheels for £100ish when she sells the car. Apart from shelling out the cash upfront, and storing the second set, I can’t think of any reason not to do it.

P20

We have fitted winters to our cars and van for the last four years. There’s a massive difference when there is snow. I’ve also had friends with BMW 3 tourers that became driveable on winter tyres on snow.

butcher

I’ve used ‘all season’ tyres for a few years now. However, I put winters on these past two years and the difference is night and day. And that’s just normal conditions. Cold, wet roads. They were budget winter tyres too – cheaper than my all seasons… I’m rarely impressed by tyres, they never seem to meet my expectations, but these impressed me.

Still to give them a good test in snow, but the little they’ve had they’ve done all right.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Conti winter tyres on my outgoing car, and have ordered Goodyears for the new one before I even have it. They definitely make a difference, just having confidence in the car is important.

welshfarmer

Ah, my annual video post up 🙂
    Filmed on my drive a couple of years ago. I am still on the same set of winter tyres but I am not doing huge mileage.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjKsZS3XcD0&list=UUEV5PXj9xkB4vhrRQJUgFKw[/video]

BTW It is a granny ring climb on the MTB

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

Butcher. Did the all season tyres have the mountain snowflake symbol. some tyre manufacturers are very misleading with the terms all weather,all season and mud and snow. The tyre must have the mountain snowflake symbol too be of any use in snow

cliffyc
    Free Member

Just changed my car,Subaru to 2 wheel drive Peugeot. Live in the Lakes so pondering on winter tyres. The tyre place I use will swop ’em over for £4 a corner,so no need for a spare set of wheels just yet. The commute to work is only really tricky for the last 5 miles.If it gets too dicey can walk that bit… . Might sit this one out on summer tyres and crossed fingers!.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Another fan of them here – mine are Falkens on a Beemer.

They’re much better from the get-go on coldish days – the summer tyres aren’t too bad once they’ve warmed up, but the ride and grip are awful for the first 15 mins or so.

Once it gets snowy/icy slushy, you still have to drive sensibly, but the car goes, turns and most importantly stops in control. Even under hard braking on snow it pulls up in a straight line with the ABS triggering properly. The limiting factors for where I can go are the minimal ground clearance, plus the other divots on the road who have got stuck in front of me, or who can’t stop behind me.

This is the 4th winter for mine. We got caught out whilst on holiday on Kintyre a couple of years back when we had the really big storms, and the ability to get around in the car, despite the road conditions was a proper lifesaver.

(

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Just put 4 new quite aggressive patterned winter tyres on MrsCat’s Panda 4×4 as two ordinary tyres were shot so took a chance they would be handy if it got bad – the transformation has been incredible, in the last dump of snow and ice it has not missed its footing once and it has managed to get where poorly shod 4x4s have failed. I was genuinely impressed with both the car and the tyres.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Was out the other day in 4″ of snow the other day in 3 series. Once you get going no problems at all, even on hills.

Problem came having to get going on any kind of slope.

I’ve got snow socks for the rears and wouldn’t bother with winter tyres now as socks are fantastic, and cheap!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Now with pic

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Ha best of luck with socks, dont go far or fast with them they are Sh*t*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Winter tyres/wheels yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.