Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • Winter or All Season Tyres?
  • grahamt1980

I use winters and summers, am in East anglia and switch nov/mar.
    Because of the odd tyre size on my mazda when I bought it, it actually worked out cheaper to get a set of 16″ wheels and tyres than to replace the summers. So as I have a spare garage it was a no brainer, the winters are fantastic when the temp drops and it rains.

philjunior
    Free Member

It depends.

+ Winters:
    Better performance in icy/snowy weather.
    By default you’ll be changing your tyres over twice a year, as long as you don’t do mega miles/drive like a nutter, you can swap often enough F to R to keep wear even (just hit 60k miles, winters were changed over last year at about 50k miles, all evenly worn, summers all evenly worn and I’ll probably change them over when it comes to summer time again).

+ All season:
    Better across a range of conditions, we don’t have predictable seasonal tempreatures here so you avoid running winters in 15°C. I did notice a comical lack of dry grip in summer with winters on, when they were worn anyway and so I couldn’t be bothered putting the summers on. I’m sure some winters are better for this, but 4 season tyres would be best.
    You don’t have to swap them twice a year.

tomd
    Free Member

I had the opportunity to test out the Michelin Cross Climates last winter on the snow. I wasn’t mega impressed – certainly better than summer tyres but IME less good than full winters I’ve had previously. I think for me, they’re still a good all round compromise and the wet weather performance and noise is excellent. I’ve done the wheel changing thing before and can’t be bothered with that. We live a fair bit above sea leve at the bottom of a hill so the £100 or so premium over decent branded summer tyres is worth ti for me.

I’m currently trying a set of the Goodyear 4 season tyres, but not used in the snow yet.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Winter tyres are not just for Snow, they perform far better in the sub 6deg winter Permaslime we get from Oct-March.
    I run 2 sets of wheels for each car, winters and summers
    I even have full winter tyres for the Caterham, just because its loads of fun 😉

grahamt1980

A Caterham with winter tyres would be a right laugh. Although not sure it would be fun to be out for a long time without being dressed for the Arctic

cr500dom
    Free Member

It has a heater 😉 its RWD and it has a Proper LSD 😉 what more would you want for fun in the snow ?

mmannerr

Just read the latest test for winter tyres in Finnish magazine – they tested Michelin Cross Climates among winter tyres for Nordic market. Cross Climates were a lot better than any other tyre on test on dry and wet tarmac both in handling and braking test.
    On snow and ice they were dead last in each tested category but most significant gap was in braking on ice (50km/h to 0km/h), best studded tyre stopped in 36.5m, best tyre without studs 48.4m (Michelin X-Ice XI3) and CC’s took 78.1m. Braking on snow (80km/h to 0)) the difference was only 5m between best unstudded tyre and CC.

The test methods should be pretty solid after they have done these for decades. However, driver in UK will have different preferences than drivers in Nordic countries.

votchy
    Free Member

Are winters really required in most of the UK? I run Goodyear F1 asymmetrics all year round, 280bhp x-drive and no issues as yet, coped fine getting me around in the snow we had last winter, work brilliant in the wet and after 30k miles still have 3mm on the fronts and 4mm on the rears so have worn well.

grahamt1980

No requirement to run winters.
    the only reason I do is because it increases my safety margin.
    wrote off a car years ago on a hill in the snow because the tyres couldn’t grip the slushy crap and abs did sod all. Was doing about 10 mph all the way down the hill and could do nothing.
    Not been in the same situation since but my wife wrote off her car a while ago on black ice (and nearly stuck herself in the river too). In my car with winters I drove all the way to her absolutely fine (only to nearly go on my arse when I got out the car – yes it was that slippery)
    Proceeded to get my wife safe then watch about another 6 cars either crash or have big moments on the same bit of road.

That’s why I run them, not because of need, simply because it gives me a chance of it all goes wrong.
    no grip makes any car into a sledge.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I live in rural Aberdeenshire

Michelin premacy on the car were a liability in the cold wet – winter tires don’t just offer a benifit in snow or ice.

Pulling away off the hill junction into the nsl road on a long sweeping curve was a liability where the best will in the world meant the car would wheel spin.

Fitted Nokian winters and not looked back.

Had all seasons fitted to the previous car and they were ok all rounders..

If all seasons were not an option I’d have winters all year round before I fitted summer tires again. Pretty crap most of the year round at the times we use the car.

If you live in the south ymmv

butcher

I’ve often used winters all year round. Fuel economy has remained roughly the same. There’s a difference in feel, not as responsive as summer tyres (they just feel squidgy) but no loss of grip, and a hell of a lot more grip during the winter months. Fantastic in the snow, to the point where I’ve driven other cars in a light dusting and been horrified by the loss of grip – bearing in mind I drive a rear wheel drive automatic. Difference is night and day.

Thought I’d give Cross Climates a try this time, given the rave reviews. Supposedly they’re good to get you going in the snow but don’t get the same grip cornering. Not used them through winter yet, so we shall see. So far they feel like a summer tyre.

tomd
    Free Member

Just read the latest test for winter tyres in Finnish magazine – they tested Michelin Cross Climates among winter tyres for Nordic market. Cross Climates were a lot better than any other tyre on test on dry and wet tarmac both in handling and braking test.
    On snow and ice they were dead last in each tested category but most significant gap was in braking on ice (50km/h to 0km/h), best studded tyre stopped in 36.5m, best tyre without studs 48.4m (Michelin X-Ice XI3) and CC’s took 78.1m. Braking on snow (80km/h to 0)) the difference was only 5m between best unstudded tyre and CC.

The test methods should be pretty solid after they have done these for decades. However, driver in UK will have different preferences than drivers in Nordic countries.

This would concur with my experience of owning them. Worse as a winter tyre than the worst winter tyre but with upsides elsewhere

theotherjonv

Had a (new to me at least) experience today, my fronts had worn down and so went in to get a new pair of Cross Climates and asked the tyre place to move them to the rear and the part worn rears to the front….and they said they couldn’t because of the tyre pressure monitoring system. I’ve subsequently googled and seems they are right, without the computer to remap the TPM it would have just meant the car (Kia) flagging it up with an annoying fault light.

I’ve never had TPM on a car before, but shouldn’t a tyre place be able to do this? I’ll confess, it was Kwik Fit (because they had as good a price for CC’s as anywhere else currently) but would an indy be able to? Otherwise I’ll fetch it into the Kia place and ask them to sort it.

jimw
    Free Member

Every car that I have owned with a TPM system have a reset button to reset the system to the new tyres and change in pressures- otherwise how could you adjust for full load etc.etc.

this seems to suggest there is a reset on some Kia’s

How to Reset Your Tire Pressure Light

bsims
    Free Member

Hit my first patch of ice of the year this morning, will be fitting my winter tyres at the week end. I don’t recall having to put them on this early last year and the year before, I generally wait for a full week of morning commutes below 7.

Anyone else found this or Are you already tooled up?

grahamt1980

Both our cars got fitted up again last weekend. Already been enjoying driving round people on roundabouts on the dual carriageway roundabouts on the way to work in the wet and cold we have had.

To be fair my summer tyres were down to 3mm so not the best comparison, they will be getting changed for next summer.

nickewen
    Free Member

Pondering this myself.. not tooled up yet but probs switch over in the next week or so. Got a set of Pirelli Sottozeros in the garage to go on that were superb last winter.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Winters went on the wife’s car. On Sunday night.

Probably could have done with going on about a fortnight ago.

My car got a bit skitty last week even on the track because the rain had frozen over on the farm track-and that was with winter tires on…..I leave them on mine all year round account of low summer milage.

pedlad

Had mine on for two weeks. Guess only below 7 this last week but liking the squidgy ride comfort on the a and B roads to work. Second year of Pirelli winters. Changing them is a bit of a faff. Added bonus is getting a second use out of them going to the alps for a week.

Waderider
    Free Member

Fort William. Moved from Michelin Cross Climates to Goodyear Vector 4 seasons. The latter seem better for me, but then they are closer to winters than the Michelins.

donald
    Free Member

Put mine on last Friday. Driving back from Peebles at 10pm the car told me it was -2C so I think I timed it right.

Flaperon

I swap to winter tyres each year. It costs more but the stopping performance in the cold is significantly better, and there’s no scrabbling around on a cold wet road.

Being able to cruise past struggling 4x4s in the snow is another advantage.

Some (cheap?) winter tyres are simply appalling in the wet. Check reviews before buying. There’s no reason why you can’t run them year round (there isn’t a huge difference in warm conditions) and I believe the RAC fits winter tyres to their vans as a matter of course.

I changed mine back to summer tyres when it was really hot a couple of years ago and I realised that I’d left tyre tracks in the road which led right to my front door.

oory
    Free Member

Nokian weatherproof are very good all season, no aquaplanjng in summer and very confident driving in the winter. I was swapping tyres for many years and now freeing the garage from summer sets an all 3 cars. 7-8mm after 2 years and 17k not a bad wear.

andy8442
    Free Member

Something to consider. The cost of changing the tyres over twice a year. I run summers and winters, and it costs me £80 a year to swap them over, I’m now thinking about decent 4 seasons come the next change over, as my summers have only a few thousand miles on ( a months driving) so no point in putting them back on. We have run my wife’s car on all seasons for the last 5-6 years and can’t complain.

Northwind

andy8442

Something to consider. The cost of changing the tyres over twice a year. I run summers and winters, and it costs me £80 a year to swap them over

What am I missing? It costs me £0 a year to swap my tyres.

bsims
    Free Member

Using the Same rim, it’s cost effective to buy some new rims for fitting winter tyres?

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered some Maxxis AP2 on recommendation of two colleagues – having them fitted to my spare wheels tomorrow.

matt_outandabout

Maxxis AP2

I’ve one of them (a puncture replacement).
    Good tyre grip wise in winter and cold. Noisy.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Something to consider. The cost of changing the tyres over twice a year. I run summers and winters, and it costs me £80 a year to swap them over,

Errr what now? £0 and less than an hour outside my house. You don’t pay someone to do it, do you?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Anyone else found this or Are you already tooled up?

Mine is on all seasons for the whole year. Mrsm’s car came with four of the finest ditchfinders, not changed yet, but will get that on some decent all season boots, too.

igm

I have a boot full of Vredestein Quatrac Pros as of last night. Fitting tomorrow.

trail_rat
    Free Member

of course theres an assumption that people have space to store a set of 4 wheels when not fitted to the car.

also reminded this morning that nothing grips on frozen rain.

have a 90 degree corner just down from the house – doing 5 mph , first gear having done all my slowing on the straight – turned the corner and the back end just swung round in slow-mo stopped with my nose against the banking.

then going down the hill to the bridge – the roads too narrow for 2 cars and i met a car coming towards me – i steered for the verge for some traction off the grass and then touched the brakes – the guy coming towards me just hit the brakes – i could see his rear end coming round – and that was uphill. – no idea what tires he had on mind….. mines were snowflake and mountain marked.

bsims
    Free Member

Ordered two new winters and had them and the rest of the set fitted this morning. It’s is now decidedly much warmer around here. Typical.😡

Earl
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting some Maxxis all season tyres too (AP3? just released). Pretty good reviews and £20 a corner cheaper than a Goodyear.

Same company as the MTB tyres I assume??? Funny how they are scrambling just to get to the midrange charts in the car tyre world.

Northwind

bsims

Using the Same rim, it’s cost effective to buy some new rims for fitting winter tyres?

As long as you can store them, yes, absolutely. Better yet, buy some wheels with winter tyres on. If you’ve got a common wheel size, which you probably do, then it’s usually pretty easy to pick up a set from someone who’s sold/written off/scrapped a car. It can take a little research, like, I had a mondeo but the wheel fitment is the same as modern volvos, and there’s nothing more volvish than winter wheels.

(I got my wintersports for this car, with 8mm tread on all 4 tyres, on decent alloys, for £200. My snowproxes on ****ing hideous alloys for the mondeo were £120 IIRC. And icebears on steels for the focus were something daft like £60. Makes me wonder why I buy new summer tyres actually, since I basically get 2 free tyres and a free set of rims every time)

Markie
    Free Member

Had Quatrac Pros put on a few weeks ago. All good so far.

paton
    Free Member

A German documentary about rubber production for tyres, and the ethics, ecological impact and economics .

Plus some thoughts on tyre retreads.

northernremedy

I’ve run cross climate +’s for the last 2.5 years on a golf r estate. Through the heavy snow of two years ago also.

I’ve found them to be excellent, especially so in the wet. Wet braking is superb. Snow wise I found them very good, the reports of sub par performance don’t match my experience.

After 20k Miles they had 6mm tread all round and they didn’t need swapping. Big thumbs up from me.

bsims
    Free Member

@Northwind- you some good deals there. I got mine from a main dealer years ago on a package deal that was cheaper than anyone else could supply just the tyres. You can also still get wheel and tyre packages like the old days, when lots of cars were upgraded to alloy as steel was standard.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Just put some Vredestein Quatrac 5’s on the other half’s Mini, only 175-65-15’s. They are skinny compared to today’s trend for wide low profile tyres so should grip well hopefully even though they aren’t full winters. They are asymmetric as well so perform really well in the wet and cold. Pleased so far, we’ll see how they do if we get any white stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Winter or All Season Tyres?’ is closed to new replies.