Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Winter MTB Riding – Is 9pm too late?
  • dan2406

As others have mentioned what with work and kids struggling to find the time to get out week nights. Am I mad going out on my own after 9pm? Only time I get as kids are in bed, dinner done and cleaned up. Cold nights aren’t a problem but would like to know if others do the same.
    Cheers.

jam-bo

Do it. be the weirdo in the woods.

besides, if you crash and knock yourself out its less time to wait until the morning dog walkers find you.

Poopscoop

Solo night rides can be fantastic!

Bit spooky perhaps but still great.

Add an app or use the standard one on your smart phone so you can be tracked should something bad happen…. if your in signal anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why would you care what anyone else thinks? If you think it’s ok, it’s OK!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, go for it. The only downside is getting in past 11 o’clock and having to chill for an hour before bed, then struggling to sleep as your still buzzing. Then yer knackered when the morning alarm goes off!.

allfankledup

It doesn’t get any darker at 9pm than 7pm at this time of year, so can’t see why it would be an issue…

mintimperial

Only drawback I find is that it’s sometimes hard to get to sleep after a late ride. It’s ace getting out when everyone and their dog is tucked up on the sofa, having the entire world to yourself though. Fewer cars about too.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Very often don’t get back in home from night riding until gone 10.30-11pm….it’s great so much night wildlife to see, peaceful but as others have said can take a while for the exercise endorphins ( and I’m guessing the blue/white LED light stimulation) to get to sleep.

butcher

As long as you’re not under the age of 9, I reckon you’ll be OK. Unless it’s a bath night.

SaxonRider

For a while, that was the only time I could go. Just don’t get thinking about the Blair Witch!

ontor
    Free Member

I have ridden at midnight a few times. Usually ride 11pm till 2am at new-years

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

As mentioned sleeping after such a late ride may will be difficult.
    At the latest I get back in at 9.30, by the time you have put the bike away and had a shower and relaxed for a bit it’s close to 12.

iainc

Our wed night club rides go from 745 till just after 10. Great fun, only downside being, as others have said, unwinding and getting to sleep before it’s time to get up for work in morning !

Quite often do a 9pm velodrome session, that one is a real challenge to sleep after…

tom200

Skip dinner and ride a bit earlier? I normally get out at about 730ish dinner when I get back at 930.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Its cool to see the badgers, rabbits, foxes, owls etc and now and again your lights pick out a pair of eyes glowing back at you which momentarily scares the shit out of you.

benpinnick

I always ride that late if night riding. Never have a problem sleeping… but then I never have a problem sleeping…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Quite often do a 9pm velodrome session, that one is a real challenge to sleep after..

Indoor road biking? Hardest bit would be staying awake during, not after! 😆

cookeaa

I’ve gone out as late as 11:00 in the past…

trundling past the doggers at midnight in the forest carpark; with full, owl melting Lumens streaming from your bars and noggin, offering a cheery “Hello” to astonished pervs gathered round an old estate car really is a unique experience…

However I am debating taking up (gulp) running again, just to get out and get some exercise in of an evening, bike faffing is fine, but a half hour run would probably do me as much good, and let’s me get home faster… Boring but practical.

molgrips
    Free Member

Road biking past midnight is ace, roads are dead. Best done on open moorland with a full moon, you can turn your lights off 🙂

dan2406

Thanks Guys. Decided what the hell I would go out. Brilliant to have the feedback and nice to know I’m not the only one. Agree about the sleeping but as it’s Friday tomorrow no one at work will be bothered. That’s why Thursdays for me are the best night. Nice night for it as well down here. Hope to continue. My new exposure joystick helps too. Awesome little backup light for the helmet.

vickypea
    Free Member

We do night rides from 8 til 10:30 or so on Wednesdays. It’s great, and as already mentioned, you get to see owls, bats and badgers! I do find it hard to sleep afterwards though.

hanchurch
    Free Member

Yep do it! It’s awesome!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Most of my riding is at night for reasons of available free time and I actually like night riding, have always done so. Quiet roads with headphones is much safer too.

If the wind is down and a bright, clear full moon is waking me up (for instance) then even if 2am I might go and drink it all in via an hr circuit on the MTB.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I do all my riding after I finish work at 9pm in the week. I usually get home between 11 and midnight. The only problem as others have said is it can be difficult to get to sleep like this evening (it’s 1.30am here).

milky1980
    Free Member

If I have a ‘day’ off between night shifts I go out for an ‘all-dayer’ overnight to stay on the right sleep pattern. Always surprising how many others are out on their bikes too 🙂

The neighbours have got used to me cleaning the bike at 7am while they go to work although they most likely still think I’m a weirdo 😆

medoramas
    Free Member

I do it often – leaving about 22:30, sometimes even later…

The only thing to remember: if it’s cold – it will get even colder. There is no sun to warm your toes up on the top of the climb… 8)

Trimix
    Free Member

Or flip it round and do a very early ride – its quite nice watching the sun come up.

Or that smug feeling when you get to work having done a hour or twos biking and everyone else is still half asleep.

Yak

I ride occasionally at that time. Aim to be back c.11ish, so once all cleaned up and fed, in bed by 12. If that’s your only time slot- just take it. Better than not riding at all.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Night riding with headphones?! 😯

jekkyl

Couple o cans o Stella and a movie usually sends me right off to sleep after a night ride, although I much prefer being able to see the countryside.

Northwind

allfankledup – Member

It doesn’t get any darker at 9pm than 7pm at this time of year, so can’t see why it would be an issue…

Pretty much this. Though it does get colder.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Am I mad going out on my own after 9pm?

What difference does the time make, it’s dark at 4pm so no difference between a ‘night ride’ late afternoon or late evening.

Poopscoop

SaxonRider – Member
    For a while, that was the only time I could go. Just don’t get thinking about the Blair Witch!

Yep. All the hundreds of horror films ive watched over the years but when ive wild camped or gone night riding thats the only bl**dy one that decides to enter my mind!

Wouldnt mind but it wasnt even that good a movie!lol

br
    Free Member

My only worry would be that if I didn’t come back the wife would have to summon help at long-past-bedtime for ALL folk – whether it was riding buddies, Police (or for riding around here) the Mountain Rescue.

Yak

Haha – definitely don’t think about Blair Witch. You’ll see a couple of bent twigs in the wood and get the willies.

My main concern at night is dogs. Usually none, but occasionally you get the sort of dogs off lead that you’d not see during the day with an owner not expecting bikes. That’s not a bad as escaped guard dogs from big houses though. You might as well be getting chased by the Attack-the-Block monsters with those…

thomthumb
    Free Member

normally finish riding 10-11pm. home by midnight.

don’t see why you should have a latest time?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Winter MTB Riding – Is 9pm too late?’ is closed to new replies.