Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Winter Boots
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting some waterproof winter shoes and was hoping to get some recommendations

From what I can see I’m going to have to spend about 130 quid on something like a Shimano Mw81 or Northwave Celsius. Are these any good, or, as I’d obviously like to spend less, any other cheaper options.

Was considering just getting some shoe covers, but I’ve heard mixed reports, especially around off road durability.

ta

ktmblag
    Free Member

I’ve just had the north wave celsius..early xmas present..there very good not amazingly warm but that’s better you can put warm socks on but you can’t take insulation from your boots

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I just got some Spesh Defrosters after having numb feet for 3 and a half hours on the MTB on Saturday.

Used them for the first time on my on/off road almost 2 hour each way commute yesterday.

Feet got cool but not numb.

I also got a bigger size so I can put decent socks on when it gets really cold.

On the road I also wear overshoes, but on the MTB the toe bit gets pulled off when you dab or push, so not so good.

awptechnical
    Free Member

I’d vote for Northwave. As far as I’m concerned they’re brill; one of those “not sure what I did before” items. You will need to buy a size up from your norm though (I’m 43 but needed 44). I just wear a pair of M&S thermal boot socks and never felt the cold; Northwave do make an Arctic version with more insulation if you think you’re particularly susceptible to the cold. Girlfriends bought a pair for this year and is doing fine in the wet and mud. Some reviews I’ve seen go on about the lace to be too long; I don’t find this an issue I just wrap the end around my fingers and it tucks in under the flap.

Worth the money.

TimCotic
    Free Member

I’ve got the Northwaves (not the latest model) and I’ve been pretty happy with them. I got tired of my overshoes repeatedly slipping off my shoes in muddy conditions so I treated myself. I’ve found them warm, comfortable, and waterproof. I’d say the only shortcoming (and it’s not been a problem for me so far) is that they don’t seal snugly round the ankle like the Shimano M81. I guess if you went through deep water you’d instantly get a boot full, wheras with the Shimanos you’d only get a little water in. Having said that, I’ve been through many streams, fords and deep(ish) puddles and the water hasn’t come over the tops of my Northwaves yet.

mrelectric

Shimano MW81 has been great. Get at least one size up.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

For my commute I tried on the Northwave Fahrenheit GTX Shoe, the Louis Garneau Glacier Road Shoe, the Louis Garneau 0 Degrees Ergo Grip Mountain Bike Shoe, the Northwave Celsius Artic GXT Shoes and the Shimano MW81 Gore-Tex MTB SPD Shoes. None of them have the tight comfortable fit around the ankle that I was looking for and I’d be certain the water will drip down into the shoe. I’ve got some expensive pearl izumi wxb overshoes which are relatively easy to get on and use velcro instead of a zip so I can get a tight comfortable fit around the ankle. Still not as convenient as a waterproof cycle shoe could be. When I tried them on I thought the MW81 had the best ankle “boot” but still not as tight as I would have liked.

I’ll wait for a better design, they’re expensive after all and I can put up with a little inconvenience of an overshoe that works rather than an expensive waterproof shoe that doesn’t work as it should.

cubicboy
    Free Member

Shimano MW81s are the way to go… snug, tough, waterproof (within reason), comfy. Top purchase.

rickmeister

How about Lake… Ms Rickmeister says they are really toasty and weatherproof even though they look like hospital issue…

tpbiker
    Free Member

these fellas?

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/shoes/product/review-lake-mxz302-shoes-33647

Bit pricey! Anything else to consider. I’ve seen the MW81s for 110 quid, so leading the pack so far!

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of Spesh Defrosters for 5 years and they are now nearly dead (although a new ecosystem appears to be growing in them…). I never really felt all that impressed with the insulation but they did a reasonable job of keeping your feet dry.

Gaitors are the best way to stop water going down your leg/ankle into the boot.

MT91s seem to be the boot of choice with my riding crew for winter, but perhaps not the ultimate race shoe by some way they are a great mountain boot.

z1ppy

Shimano mt80/1’s are very good boots (better than the old NV’s) but the mz302 are better, simply put. If I had the cash I’d have got them, as I hadn’t I settled for the shimano’s, wish I’d had the cash (cold toe sufferer)

Ps. when your boots are covered in freezing mud, who care what they look like if their toasty

Frankers
    Free Member

I still get cold toes with my MW80 if its around zero deg +/- I have 2 sizes bigger than my normal shoe size and wear good quality merino wool socks.

If its around 4-8deg they’re fine

Only way I have found of keeping toes warm when its really cold is with overshoes

I also have Northwave boots which aren’t as warm as the Shimano, and are also much narrower

chrismac

Just got some gore tex mavic drift’s. will christen them this weekend

mboy
    Free Member

Shimano MW80’s are quite simply a revelation. Worth their weight in gold for winter riding.

Bought a pair about 4 years ago, I’ve used them for many many rides now, offroad and on, and only once have my feet got wet. But that was riding in monsoon conditions, and excessive water was dripping down my legs and in through the top of the boots. I’ve ridden through many puddles recently (hey, it’s hard to do a road ride where I live right now without riding through lots of them!) that are near enough BB height on a road bike, and my feet have stayed totally dry. And these are 4 year old, heavily worn boots!

They may look silly, but on a cold wet day in the saddle, the difference between utter misery and pure bliss is how warm and dry your feet are! IMO, they’re probably the most essential item for winter riding that you could own!

Junkyard
    Free Member

You wont get better than the lakes. Mine are about 6 years old now and still look absolutely fine and would expect at least the same again.As I have ruined two summer pairs in the same time they work out cheap in the long run

They are dear though

boxfish
    Free Member

Northwave Celsius on their third winter here. Solid, comfortable and warm.

My Northwaves lasted one ride; both boots leaked. Pointless. Not tried any others since; but if you think about it, the chance of buying a pair of proper waterproof boots is, IMO, impossible, given that water will splash on your shins and find it’s way down into your boots. I wish I was wrong, but can’t see anything out there that solves this.

rickmeister

tpbiker, thems the ones. And they are still going strong, Toasty waterproof and hard wearing

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Winter Boots’ is closed to new replies.