Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Windows 8 Preview
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Just installing it on one of my 1Gb netbooks from a USB stick of my brother’s. It’s taking it’s time so havent played yet.

Anyone tried it?

dawson

yes, on a normal laptop.

The default Metro screen is weird on a non-touchscreen computer, and its like they are forcing the normal ‘desktop’ to be the secondary manner of operating the machine, with ‘apps’ the primary method.

I can see it working on a tablet, but not a normal PC.

jon1973
    Free Member

Sorry if this is a stoopid question, but are there any / many Windows based tablets out there at the moment?

dawson

not yet, I think I’m getting ahead of myself, but they won’t be far off

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/software/3375166/windows-8-update-lenovo-announces-tablet-designed-for-workplace/

this

An optional keyboard and docking stand make it suitable “for more PC-like computing in the office,” Lenovo says.

makes me wonder ‘why not just get a laptop’?

jon1973
    Free Member

Interesting. Definitely designed for the touch screen market.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=EIaIneOywyE[/video]

cynic-al
    Free Member

cos a laptop isn’t a tablet?

Rio

Windows 8 is pretty stable and fast, I particularly like the new fast start-up. But the metro GUI takes a bit of getting used to and seems like a step backwards if like me you’re used to having lots of windows open at the same time. As stated above, it’s aimed at tablet/smartphone devices and doesn’t seem to make much sense without a touchscreen or maybe a multi-touch trackpad.

spacemonkey

Metro is absolutely hideous. Can’t even look at it.

cranberry
    Free Member

I tried it, found NOT Metro to be not very useful on a PC, and generally couldn’t see what I would get out of keeping it over Win 7 which was originally on the PC. It seemed more designed for Microsoft’s desire to create an Apple-esque walled garden than for the end user.

Stoner
    Free Member

well it looks like I wont get to experience it tonight.

Still trying to install it, taking for age. Might have something to do with the turgid SSD in my Acer. Will give it the night to sort it’s shit out. At least Ive been prompted to put the product key in, so it’s on it’s way…

Stoner
    Free Member

ah. oops 😳

forgot to check OS spec requirements and what was actually in my up backup netbook. An 8Gb SSD is not going to cut it…

Ah well.
    Cant risk disabling my back up netbook, and damned if Im putting it on my el-slicko desktop so probably wont have a go at now.

molgrips
    Free Member

I really liked it, but removed it due to drivers not being quite there for my machine.

As for metro – no problem using it with a mouse for me. It is a little different but I can handle that. You can still press Windows+D at any time and be back in a normal desktop – the only difference is no start button. You can pin stuff to the taskbar and put shortcuts on the desktop if you like, so you hardly ever need the start menu. Plus you can get from the main page to something very much like a start menu easily enough.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Can’t help but think that it reminds me of ‘Unity’ in Ubuntu.

Hated it on a laptop/desktop, but it may have made some sense on a tablet.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Windows 8 Preview’ is closed to new replies.