Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Windows 8 ?
  • SnS
    Free Member

Bought an Aldi special recently. – Medion MD8369 PC ( still not unboxed it).

It’s a Windows 7 pc but states that you can update to Windows 8 Pro for £14.99.

I’ve not had my hands on Windows 8, but from what I’ve seen it looks a bit like a hybrid type thing with a front end more tablet ( touch) orientated.

Anyone had a proper play with Windows 8 ?

Basically – is it worth the effort ?

Chris

unklehomered
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with Win8 for anything without a touch screen personally. Suppose you could by it and not install it. Then if MS stop supporting 7 (not likely, no way business takes to 8 quickly if at all), you have a fallback.

edit: I’m being massively simplistic here re 8 before anyone jumps in saying I’ve missed the point etc…

acidchunks

full version is due for launch at the end of October but you can download a free preview version from Microsoft.

loads of info online explaining how to go about installing the preview. If I were you i’d partition the hd and install it there instead of overwriting win 7.

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I really like it. Yes the front end is tablet-like, but it works well with a mouse too, and it has other features. Like the quick startup feature, which is indeed really quick, and the fact it’s better optimised for slower hardware.

It really improved my slow Vaio P series (netbook/laptop/tiny thing) but driver support wasn’t quite right so I rolled back.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

it’s better optimised for slower hardware.

this will be key – some focus on performance again.

brassneck

I really didn’t like Metro, but I’ll have to live with it. Win 8 & Server 2012 sport it (in most editions anyway) so it’s here for a while at least.

Techwise there are some really interesting features on this generation (server side at least), but it’s more evolution than revolution from 2008 R2 / Win 7.

I’d take the upgrade @14.99 though, best price you’re likely to get.

alfabus
    Free Member

I can get windows 8 on MSDN… might give it a try on my netbook if it is supposed to be good for lower spec hardware.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I’ve used it a bit at work and there are some terrible UI choices in it that really aggravate me.

That said I am installing it on my laptop and soon my desktop. Although I do get it for free 🙂

You may aswell – in a few years it will be the standard and its got supposed performance improvements anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

If/when drivers come out for the stuff on my P series I will probably try again, I have an MSDN sub through work also.

It does make me want a Windows tablet too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Windows 8 ?’ is closed to new replies.