• This topic has 58 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ojom.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Wind Farm on Minch Moor…
  • Smee
    Free Member

…looks like it is getting closer as they have now started their consultation.

The knock on effects of this should bring the Inners chairlift a bit closer too.

That is all.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“The knock on effects of this should bring the Inners chairlift a bit closer too.”

😀 Even better if I can get some work out if it too 😉

Smee
    Free Member

Was it you that started a thread asking about the chances of getting into the mtb industry and working in the borders? If so, you’ll still need to join the back of a very long queue for that one. 😀

rOcKeTdOg

wind powered chair lift?
    “raise the main sail Mr Christian!”

Smee
    Free Member

Part of the deal to build the wind farm apparently pays for the chair lift or a fairly big chunk of it.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“Was it you that started a thread asking about the chances of getting into the mtb industry and working in the borders? If so, you’ll still need to join the back of a very long queue for that one. [:D] “

I wish ! I do ground investgations and have worked on windfarm sites before, would be fantastic to work on the inners chairlift 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Huh?

This thread had loads more posts on it did it not?

No chance of a chairlift at Innerleithan. The financial case makes no sense whatsoever. It includes for example 1000 tourists a week every week going up to see the view paying £7 a time – that is really going to happen if there is a windfarm. It also states every DHer in the UK will go there 20 weekends a year and more MTBers will use the chairlift than currently visit the tweed valley.

Smee – Member

Part of the deal to build the wind farm apparently pays for the chair lift or a fairly big chunk of it.

Really? where d you get that from. Evidence please

Its a dead duck

druidh
    Free Member

Teej – that was a separate thread (Whistler vs Tweed Valley)

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – that has always been how they were going to fund it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Evidence Smee – evidence. How about you back up your ridiculous assertions with some evidence.

This was not in any of the documents I saw. I really can see an electricity company paying millions for a chair lift as part of planning permission. anyway having a windfarm will kill the tourism aspect of it.

Druidh – ta – I thought I had finally lost the plot totally

Smee
    Free Member

It wasn’t in any documents you saw – so that means that it can’t be happening. My mistake, I’d forgotten you were the oracle. 🙄

I doubt very much that a windfarm would kill the tourism aspect of it when you consider that by far the biggest proportion of people come here to ride bikes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – stop being an offensive numpty. I said it wasn’t in the documents I saw not that it was not in any documents about funding for the chairlift so I would like to know where you get your information from.

Tourism – one of the proposed revenue streams is to have hundreds of tourists – not bikers – going up there paying £7 for the privilege -do you really think they will do that if the view is of a windfarm?

I can’t find the main documents I saw but how about this?

“All sounds good so far, although some of the market research backing the plan up seems perhaps a little bit iffy. Having interviewed over 1,500 people, the consultants have concluded that 7% of the population “undertake mountain biking”. Taken nationally, that would suggest that there are 4.25 million mountain bikers in the UK, which leads us to wonder where they’re all hiding. Apparently 1.3 million mountain bikers live within a four-hour drive of Innerleithen, and while we’d love to believe that, we can’t help thinking that that figure relies on a somewhat loose definition of “mountain biker”. Focussing on the definite enthusiasts reveals that downhillers would use a lift at Innerleithen an impressive 23 times a year on average, although it’s not clear whether a “time” means a day or if, say, a week-long trip counts as only one “time”. “

“The new bike park plan is described as being “fully commercial”, which suggests that it’s supposed to pay for itself although clearly it’s going to need some substantial funding to get off the ground in the first place.”

From http://www.innerleithen.tv/forums/topic-36799-innerleithens-chairlift-plan

also the same article is on bike magic

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – from where I am sitting it is you that is being the offensive numpty.

druidh
    Free Member

Just been looking at some figures actually. Based on a larger farm (27 turbines) with a local income of £81k pa, a smaller 12 turbine farm at Minch Moor might only generate a local income of around £36k pa. That doesn’t sound like very much. Of course, that would be supplemented by lift fees, but I can’t see that £36k pa makes it that much more attractive in the great scheme of things.

druidh
    Free Member

TJ – you could site a dozen turbines at the right bit of the Cairngorm plateau and they’d not be seen by the tourists at the Ptarmigan, so I don’t see that one precludes the other.

Kit
    Free Member

I wish ! I do ground investgations and have worked on windfarm sites before, would be fantastic to work on the inners chairlift

Andy, so far as I am aware, a chunk of SI has already been done for the chairlift down by the river and the lower slopes of the hill, but as always there could be another phase of investigations and I’m sure there’ll be further work up the hill required. What sort of work do you do? Do you run competitor rigs or the like?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – please tell me the source of your information. Or did you make it up?

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – we get this newsletter posted through the door each month. It contains the community councils minutes and other local goings on.

Then there was the letter that came from the folk that are planning the windfarm….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dream on boy. It ain’t gonna happen.

Smee
    Free Member

Right you are old man.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Oi TJ where is your evidence? You seem to be quoting from another website, hardly quality evidence?

Evidence TandemJermey – evidence please.

Perhaps you have the Scottish Border Tourist Stategy 2009/10 to hand and to link. Or maybe some reports that were quoted on the internet blog site that you have linked above? (e.g. the actual presentation made by the Tourism Resources Company)

Since when was innerleithen.tv definitive? You’d be better off asking grannies in the tea shops than believing anything published on that link. Did you write it?

headset
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to the local consultation on Tuesday but can’t see me walking away happy. The proposed site covers part of (half) the XC route and the Southern Upland Way, from an outdoorsy point of view, what else has this end of the Tweed got going for it if not easy access to some great tracks and trails? Certainly not a chairlift yet!

spooky_b329

I can’t see a windfarm reducing tourism/use of a chairlift much…I like em and last time I was riding in Wales and saw some, I stopped to take a photo of the view. I can’t be the only wierdo as a couple of other people stopped to take a look and make a comment about them. (not negative, just pointing it out the their mates as something of interest.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

TJ, look up http://www.walkerburn.com/ , if this doesn’t work, put ” burning issue walkerburn ” into google etc, for the latest up-to-date community, police and council topics in the Walkerburn metropolis. I think that this is the newsletter that Smee is referring to.

jimmy

Tourism – one of the proposed revenue streams is to have hundreds of tourists – not bikers – going up there paying £7 for the privilege -do you really think they will do that if the view is of a windfarm?

One of the positive aspects of windfarms can be the attraction of tourists .

evidence evidence evidence. can provide journals on it too, if required.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Your neck of the woods – Dirt issue 81, headtube.

“Dis you see all the quarrying going on at Innerleithen during the last two races, 100ft tall piles of stone ready for the footings of the chailift”

Now even if 100ft is an exageration, that a lot of stone to be ordering for no reason if TJ’s rght?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t think there is even a planning application in yet

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – You are so far behind the times with this….

GW
    Free Member

TJ – do you ever even ride at innerleithen? why you are so interested in argueing your point on these threads eludes me.

thisisnotaspoon – You clueless noob 🙄

Kit
    Free Member

lol at the quote from Dirt! Like the sole purpose of any quarrying at Innerleithen is for bikers 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no idea how accurate dirt is/was, just quoting what I read.

only downside to a chairlift i can see is that its going to result in even more race’s being held at Innerleithen. May as well scrap the NPS and add an extra category to the SDA events!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GW – I have ridden innerleithan XC a few times.

I keep on debating about the chairlift it because its pie in the sky and Smee and others are talking such tripe about it. There is absolutly zero chance of it getting built. The financial case is rubbish, there is no planning application lodged yet, there is no funding in place.

However I will shut up about it now.

GW
    Free Member

WTF’s innerleithen XC got to do with a chairlift? 🙄

of course it’s pie in the sky, but you really don’t know very much about it either way, you’re just coming across as determined to get a chance to call smee an arse and will argue whether you know what you’re talking about or not.

thisisnotaspoon – Are you by any chance a reletively new reader of “Dirt”? – “innerleithen chairlift” has been an ongoing joke in Jon’s wee column since he started writing it for them back in the ’90s

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

aww c’mon boys dont stop now iv`e just got a cuppa…..

i thought i just heard smee say something about your mum TJ.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

been reading since about issue 40 or so.

I always presumed it was the truth!

druidh
    Free Member

GW – Member

WTF’s innerleithen XC got to do with a chairlift?

Because the proposal included extensions to the existing XC track plus additional easier routes to encourage more users.

of course it’s pie in the sky, but you really don’t know very much about it either way, you’re just coming across as determined to get a chance to call smee an arse and will argue whether you know what you’re talking about or not.

I think that’s working both ways. seems like anyone arguing it’s not going to happen is branded as “anti-chairlift”, whereas I don’t think that’s the case.

It’s also worth noting that detailed planning permission for the windfarm hasn’t yet been submitted either, and since it might straddle both the existing XC route and the SUW RoW, that’s not a foregone conclusion.

GW
    Free Member

spoon – issue 40 of Dirt is over 6 years of missed copies, so I’d imagine you’ve missed a lot of the..er.. oh, so funny “in-jokes” over the years 😉

Druidh – didn’t realise TJ had a “minder” these days :roll:, he cannae even spell the place properly 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GW – thats right – mock the afflicted. Not my fault I cannot spell 😉

proteus
    Free Member

ah, hiding this one away on the chat forum eh?

the windfarm cash ain’t going to to pay for the chairlift either.

Spunkmonkey
    Free Member

Vattenfall have not committed to spend anything on the chairlift and their application has not been approved anyway.

There has been no planning application submitted for the chairlift as yet, however, a substantial amount of funding is in place should it go ahead.

Source: Me! All in the public domain though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Wind Farm on Minch Moor…’ is closed to new replies.