• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Will running ruin me?
  • TranquilityBase
    Free Member

I’m doing a half marathon in May and the majority of my training effort is going towards it. However, two months after I’m doing the 24-12 and won’t have that much time away from work to get on my bike.
    Does anyone know if all this running will drastically affect my cycling ability or is fitness all just fitness? Thanks in advance.

hp_source

running shouldn’t have an adverse affect on your cycling ability. I spent more time running over winter due to the lack of light, and if anything felt fitter for it when out on the bike.

The only thing would be to not ‘get rusty’ on the old skills/confidence if you’re going straight into something competitive.

ajf
    Free Member

I am firmly of the belief that a good runner can bike but a good mountain biker does not make a good runner.

You tend to work at a higher rate when running therefore build a better base fitness than when mountain biking so you should be fine.

The problem as HP_source said is that the skills will be a tad rusty, but that doesn’t take too long to get the old confidence back.

bluebird
    Free Member

What AJF says. I find the more I run the fitter/stronger I am riding my bike, but the more I ride my bike makes little, if any difference to how fit/strong I am when I run.

shoefiti
    Free Member

don’t do rob jebb any harm! get good shoes thou or you’ll stuff your knees as it’s much more high impact.

RealMan
    Free Member

run as much as you can xc, and avoid roads/tarmac etc.

it is a great way of getting fit.

its also a great way of getting injured. I know far too many people who have injured themselves from running – including me.

but god I miss it so much. its so much fun.

ceekay
    Free Member

Yes

Anna-B
    Free Member

Agree with all responses so far. Running is a fab way to get fitter, another vote here for XC as well.
    I’ve done more running in the past 6 months than ever, and I’m way better up hills on my bike than ever. Not sure what your 24 12 is, but I don’t think fitness will be a problem.

RealMan
    Free Member

Forgot to say to do orienteering events as well. Theyre great fun, and involve a bit of map reading skills as well, which can be a useful thing to have when youre mtbing as well. And theyre often xc.

Several people have already said this as well, and its a complete no brainer, but GET GOOD SHOES. Go to a proper running shop and tell them what you want. Pay more then £40.

jacksta
    Free Member

two months is more than enough time to convert your running fitness to biking fitness, but as others have said make sure you dont hurt yourself running! One way to do this is to cross train, perhaps include a ride instead of one of your shorter runs in the week…the important run is the long weekend one, you can substitute for one of the others no worries

wish I’d known this before I trained for a marathon…I like running but cant anymore 🙁

Count
    Free Member

As said above, mountain biking won’t get you fit for running but running helps with fitness on the bike. The cadence changes from running to biking, triathletes train to spin/run at similar cadence or the muscle memory screws you up. I find different muscles hurt running than cycling. I prefer running for fitness but biking for fun, it means I don’t care if my ride doesn’t leave me ragged.

Definitiely, running drops weight easier and that makes climbing on the bike easier.

ajf
    Free Member

its also a great way of getting injured. I know far too many people who have injured themselves from running – including me.

but god I miss it so much. its so much fun.

Oh how I too miss it! Always had a passing interest in mountain biking but fell running was my bag. Been injured since November with tendon issues due to too much high milage.

But on the plus side it has rekindled a love affair with bikes that I haven’t had properly since my BMX bandits days.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Will running ruin me?’ is closed to new replies.