Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Will I notice an increase in Pedalabilty Between a 26" nomad and an Blur LTC
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I currently have a SC 26″ Nomad (34’s, Cane creek, Easton/Carbon, XO 1×10 32×11-42t etc).

I have been considering an N+1 ish of doing a frame swap with my hardtail that never gets ridden (due to my back issues) for a shorter travel more trail bike type frame like a Blur XC / TR.

Having spied a 2010 Blur LTC i’m wondering if I will notice the difference in slightly shorter travel / steeper geo compared to the Nomad for more trail type riding when I don’t really need the Nomads DH Lite(tm) abilities (Cannock etc).

The Blur LTC would be built with 32’s, SLX groupset, older easton parts and crossmax etc from the hardtail so unlikely to be lighter than the nomad.

Or should I just get fitter and pedal the Nomad everywhere…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I did back to backs on 2011 bikes in the lakes, blur was built with decent forks and in the end of it was as good a bike as I could handle. Now own one of the last ones off the production line and love it, ride it hard but not close to its limits on a 160 34 with avalanche damper. Can’t fault it, if I was riding big stuff every day then the nomad but I’m not. Though don’t put 32s on it they are crap over 120mm

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The avvy damper what the 2012/2013 34’s should have come with from the factory.

The Nomad is super capable, more cabaple of handling the DH than I am.

I’m thinking of the Blur LTC as a second more trail only bike for more pure XC stuff and wondering if it would climb better than the nomad and be used over winter etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes there will be a difference especially if you put lighter forks and wheels on it too and less chunky tyres. It all adds up. If you just took all the bits from the Nomad and tacked them on a Blur they’d be a difference but not as large. My Covert pedals pretty well but compare it to my BFe Hardtail and is noticably slower up and along not least as everything is more burly (see what I did there 😉 ) on the Covert. As a result I find myself riding the BFe 90% of the time as it works for normal trail riding

neilforrow

OHH – I’ve got its older brother the solo, and had a similar choice – I’ve also ridden (a fair bit, both the LTC and the nomad).

You will get a lot more out the LTC than the nomad round your local tracks, if not the rougher end of the spectrum as mike pointed out (couldn’t agree more mike). It’ll just be a lot more fun.

Its the same reason I got rid of my ibis HD, just too much bike (and it was very short).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HrUbEh]IMG_5391[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr

Don’t think I’d be bigger or faster on the equivalent nomad, the current one though…

wilko1999
    Free Member

The beauty of the LTc is that it is fast, nimble and pedals superbly, while still being capable of getting seriously rowdy and is massively tough and stiff. I really miss mine.

EDIT: please do it justice though and put forks on with at least 34mm legs!

neilforrow

Also, Josh aboard the TR vid still wins the internet. (I know its not the same but near enough).

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-blur-tr-video-2013.html

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Just to clarify I shall be keeping the Nomad in its current form, its an amazing bike more than capable on the local DH trails and I hit everything other than the biggest gaps on it (mostly because I iz scared – the nomad would be fine).

The Blur LTC would be a not quite N+1 as I have a hardtail which I don’t ride which has all the parts ready for a Blur LTC or other.

Just wondering if the LTC would be sufficiently different from the nomad that I would notice it was easier to climb on etc. Or whether I should keep looking for a Blur XC carbon.

Would mostly be being used where the Nomad is over kill and over winter etc.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Blur LT2 rider here, best mate has a 26″ Nomad. After riding both many times I can undoubtably say yes you will notice.
    How much that bothers you is your call, I do prefer the less travel on the Blur rear end as I run 160mm Pikes upfront for 75% of my riding. Once pointed downhill you can feel the difference though. The Nomad handles it much easier. Floats over the bigger stuff that the Blur kicks and bucks but lets face it there isn’t THAT much between them.

DONT put 32’s on it though. I had world cup Rev’s for a while on my Blur and the burlier Lyriks work so much better on there, giving extra confidence to just point and shoot. They take most stuff in their stride

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Almightydutch – would you say the Blur LTC climbs better and / or pedals better than a Nomad? I’m lees interested in its descending capabilities as its more for trail riding where the ability to be easier to climb on etc will be more important than its descending. The nomad will always be used where I’m happy to slog to the top for a good descent.

Not so worried about burly forks, the 32’s will be enough if I’m going to be riding down stuff that needs 34’s or more then I’ll take the nomad.

The blur will be a more wheels on the ground pedalling bike.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Will I notice an increase in Pedalabilty Between a 26" nomad and an Blur LTC’ is closed to new replies.