Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • wildlife you are meant to dislike but don’t.
  • racefaceec90

i know there are a few animals that are deemed pests,invasive species etc.

out on a night road ride (less traffic),i was in bath and spotted what i thought was a cat running along a bridge i was cycling.

well as i got to see it closer it turned out to be a mink.

i have to say i was chuffed to see it (have never seen one before). a beautiful animal i have to say (and big too).

i know i should hate them etc as they are an invasive species,but i could not.

i also love grey squirrels i must add.

anyone else want to confess 😀

tomd
    Free Member

We have red and grey squirrels in the garden. Both are kind of charming in their own ways. They have quite different ways of travelling through the trees and feeding. Both good to watch.

One of the most difficult questions I’ve had to answer from the kids ever is why do we like the red ones but not the grey ones.

Urban foxes are considered a pest by some. Had a flat with a fox den in the back garden, absolute joy to watch and the kits. The occasional terrifying nightime scream a bit of an issue.

tthew

You sure it wasn’t an escaped pet ferret? I saw a family of 4 of them running down the Chester greenway a couple of years ago.

racefaceec90

tthew it may have been a ferret but it was big and had very dark brown fur (I did check pics of mink when I got back and it def looked like one to me). The bridge I was cycling was going over a canal and pretty sure the mink/ferret lived around there.

tthew

Oh, I just looked them up, I really thought they were smaller than the quoted 35 to 45 cm! Where abouts raceface?

spooky_b329

Seagulls, got to admire their intelligence.

Spiders, I wouldn’t pick on one up but I normally let them stay so they can keep the flies down if they keep themselves tucked away (we had one living behind a mirror for months), but the big monsters and ones that crawl across your pillow get booted out.

jamiemcf

Wasps, the ones some folk refer to as yellow jackets, o think they’re pretty epic.

Magpies, my missus hates them, I love their colouring and general look, I also think they look kinda prehistoric, almost archaeopteryx like.

Until I get bitten, clegs / horse flies have pretty mad eyes.

In general though I like all wildlife, it all has its place, apart from midges, they can do one.

racefaceec90

tthew it was about 3 miles from bath city centre.

i cycled a new route for once to bath (via box and batheaston road).

i joined up the cycleway and was going over this bridge near the cycleway sign.

apologies for not being more specific but my sense of direction is rubbish lol.

konagirl
    Free Member

Yeah mink get everywhere, particularly near water. We had evidence near my mum (dead hares and other wildlife) who lives at 300 m elevation near to Llandegla. OP you want to keep your eye out for otters too, on the Avon they are quite regularly photoed around Saltford.

As for the topic, yep wasps, spiders, all have their place in the ecosystem and actually really interesting to watch. And yes invasive species are still special /cute even if it’s our fault for introducing them that they have out competed some of our native species. You could include wild boar. Are we ‘supposed’ to dislike predators? Cos I do love our urban foxes and badgers and birds of prey, loved seeing a hen harrier a few years ago and yet so sad that they only a rarity because other people are killing them off.

mrb123
    Free Member

People seem to dislike any animals that manage to adapt to survive and thrive around us – I’m thinking of pigeons, rats, gulls, urban foxes etc etc.

We much prefer stuff that shuffles quietly off towards extinction such as hedgehogs and red squirrels!

kimbers

Pidgeons

Even in London I think they are great, fabulous that the Rock Dove has evolved to nest on buildings instead of cliffs & made such a success of it.

stevious

Midges

funkmasterp

Rabbits, foxes and grey squirrels. Just really enjoy watching them. Pigeons are comical to watch and just make me smile

piha
    Free Member

Maggots…!!!

What’s not to like about their wriggly squigglyness? They do an important job as they tidy up the environment, fisherfolk love them as bait and lots of wildlife enjoy a delicious maggoty dinner.

I’m not keen on flies though.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Wasps, the ones some folk refer to as yellow jackets, o think they’re pretty epic.

On a hot summers day in my garden you can here a gently ticking sound. It’s wasps stripping the wood fibres off my chestnut fencing. I love wasps their sting us a right bastard but nowhere near as much bother as running away from them constantly so they get to walk all over me.

sas78

I think magpies are beautiful, but I didn’t think the same as one tried to extract the baby blue tits from their nest in our garden last month. Had to create a magpie deterrent (few screws through a bit of 1×4 on top of the nesting box. The bluetits seemed relieved!

maccruiskeen

Maggots…!!!

What’s not to like about their wriggly squigglyness?

Disco Rice

maccruiskeen

Spiders, I wouldn’t pick on one up but I normally let them stay so they can keep the flies down if they keep themselves tucked away (we had one living behind a mirror for months), but the big monsters and ones that crawl across your pillow get booted out.

you need to cultivate a little community of Cellar Spiders – great little low maintenance / low fuss spiders to have around the house – barely visible they’re so slender, don’t go scurrying about- just seem to float motionless in the corners of the room, a particular USP is they can get themselves out of a bath – and those annoying scurrying  big monsters… the delicate little gossamer Cellar Spiders will happily kill and eat them.

whatgoesup

I’ve been carefully training my kids not to fear spiders and not kill them on sight. They now name each one they find in the house and treat them as some kind of pet whilst leaving them alone. Result !

mrsheen
    Free Member

Going off on an arachnid tangent – Zebra spiders are always welcome.

jamiemcf

Zebra / jumping spiders are pretty cool. Only a fewmm long but are wee characters

poly
    Free Member

One of the most difficult questions I’ve had to answer from the kids ever is why do we like the red ones but not the grey ones.

Surely, compared to many questions kids ask that was quite straightforward? I don’t hate Grey squirrels (we had some regular visitors to the garden which amused me but next door bought a cat and now we don’t). But I could happily explain to any child why grey squirrels are a problem in areas with reds (I hope you reported them – it’s not just “your own” red squirrels that are in danger, but all the ones they mix with).

In terms of the OP’s question – mink are beautiful animals – in their own eco system. Here they are viscous little things which will destroy birds and other small mammals and have no natural predators so will thrive until they’ve wiped out the local food source when they will move on to the next area. They are the vikings of the U.K. small mammal population.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Here they are viscous little things which will destroy birds and other small mammals and have no natural predators so will thrive until they’ve wiped out the local food source when they will move on to the next area. They are the vikings of the U.K. small mammal population.

The return of otters to water courses apparently helps against mink.

kaiser
    Free Member

Tapeworms..
    As long as they aren’t mine.

squirrelking
    Free Member

We have a resident zebra spider on the living room window, see it out checking it’s traps every so often.

I have a soft spot for the big buggers that stomp about like they own the place though. I remember picking one up once and actually felt it try to bite me, top marks for trying!

I’m getting better with wasps, not mad keen on them but after the huge ones in Germany a couple of years ago I’m a lot more relaxed, especially knowing how to distract them.

funkmasterp

a particular USP is they can get themselves out of a bath

I’ve had to rehome three spiders this week. Stop setting up shop in the bath you idiots. One of them was moved to the back door and they seem to have hung around a built a web. Result! Flying thing deterrent in place

especially knowing how to distract them.

Is it with a song and dance routine?

Klunk
    Free Member

I didn’t realise I was meant to dislike stuff ? who writes these rules ? is there Daily Fail like wing of National Geographic running stories about rats stealing your jobs or something ?

I did see a spider yesterday running off with what looked suspiciously like my blu-tack, ooooo do I not like that !

OwenP

Bats. They are mammals, fascinating, hoover up midges and sort of cute, but for some reason they are generally depicted as scary / evil / harbingers of doom.

It’s a constant war of education for pro-bat groups to contradict the TV/movie depiction. My own kids are nervous of bats thanks to the cartoons they watch, and I’m a bat-licensed ecologist so I’ve tried pretty hard!

whitestone
    Free Member

I always leave a cloth of some kind hanging down the side of the bath, the spider will eventually find it.

OP – worth reporting mink sightings to the British Mammalian Society (they have a long list of things they like reports on).

midlifecrashes

Me: come see this cool species. It’s been around for three and a half billion years continuously, a real living fossil. That’s three billion years before dinosaurs showed up, and it’s just down the road and you can see it for yourself, and it’s doing really well and nicely established in our local area.

Local Council: Stay away from the lake, no boating no swimming, Blue-Green Algae. Death! Panic!

funkmasterp

Bats are amazing. We lived in an old converted mill for a while and they roosted somewhere near by. On summer evenings we’d turn the lights off, face the chairs towards the living room window and watch them flying about just the other side of the glass.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Perch
    Panthers

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Northerners.

crazy-legs

I love magpies. We had some really tame ones nesting in the back garden as kids, they’d come when called and take food from your hand.
    They’re super intelligent. Beautiful birds.

dyna-ti

Midges

Trying to be controversial 😆 Nobody likes midges.

johnners
    Free Member

those annoying scurrying big monsters… the delicate little gossamer Cellar Spiders will happily kill and eat them

I’ve seen it happen, it looks like a total mismatch then the cellar spider just effortlessly **** the big one up. I have them in the corners of a few rooms, they never seem to be doing much but it’s amazing how much detritus turns up below their haunts.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got to say I’m coming round to wasps after watching something about how they help keep aphids and other pests under control. They’re still little buzzy bastards with hair-trigger tempers though.

gowerboy

Invasive non native species are a problem and they need management for genuine reasons – It’s an objective need rather than a response to disliking them.

Gulls… I don’t think we are meant to dislike gulls. They need people to protect them rather than dislike them. Herring gulls are on the red list and lesser black backs are amber.

joshvegas
    Free Member

They’re still little buzzy bastards with hair-trigger tempers though.

They’re really not. If you start swatting them away maybe but you really have to provoke them.

Ticks we can all surely agree should just get to ****.

funkmasterp

They’re really not. If you start swatting them away maybe but you really have to provoke them.

Must have different wasps around here as they are right testy little bastards. Flying up in your face like the asbo teenager of the insect world. They seem to get very aggressive towards the end of summer/beginning of autumn too. Utter ****

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘wildlife you are meant to dislike but don’t.’ is closed to new replies.