Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Wild camping on the Fife Coatal Path?
  • MrKmkII
    Free Member

I’m thinking about planning a wee two-day ride of the Fife coast path, camping overnight on the way, starting in St Andrews (well, the nearest train station), and finishing off in Edinburgh. Is anyone aware of a suitable place to wild camp roughly halfway along? I’ve looked on a couple of maps and it appears as though it’ll be busy in most places, but I only really know the section from edinburgh to Kirkcaldy where I get the train back from.

So what’s out there? Gie us a clue!

druidh
    Free Member

Methil?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

really?! isn’t that a bit ‘urban’? anywhere quieter and more countryside-y?

druidh
    Free Member

😆

It was worth a try.

I don’t know the areas well enough, but you’ll want to stop before you get to Lower Largo. When I did a road ride out from Edinburgh to Dundee, I found the whole section from Inverkeithing to Leven to be thoroughly depressing.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

I think you’re right there! Somewhere near Pitten in the Weem would be nice. Shame there isn’t some kind of vast expanse of forest nearby 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

Kincraig Point?

Just before Elie. Lots of old buildings to shelter behind.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

thoroughly depressing

This pretty much sums up road in general! 🙂

spando
    Free Member

I would opt for the bivi option probably between crail and Anstruther there is a nice spot by some sandstone caves. Or the camp site at crail is very nice right by the sea, they only accept small tents, also has an outdoor pool! Also past Elie around the area of the Elie chain walk there are options for quite good bivi sites one of which is in a out of site gun post built into the cliff accessible by some hidden steps. It is clean and has amazing views. I’m away from home the now but next week I could get you the grid ref.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

spando – references would be great! You think I’d get a nice uninterrupted night’s sleep at the gun post? Sounds awesome!

druidh
    Free Member
    MrKmkII
    Free Member

i certainly prefer the look of the first one, what with the complete of lack kids crawling all over it!

MrKmkII
    Free Member

So anyone else got tips?

AlasdairMc

There’s plenty of beach stuff, but personally I’d just do the whole thing in a day to avoid an overnight. The person that thought a tourist path would be best routed along Methil High Street really was having a laugh.

proteus
    Free Member

andrewh
    Free Member

Druidh’s right. It doesn’t get much more wild than Methill…
    You could alsway try camping on the shores of Loch Gelly 😉
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb0kiiB3O-o[/video]
    Just because i like it.

spando
    Free Member

Its the second link druidh posted
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/222147
    Ye I think you will get a quiet night as its out of sight from the path and finding it can be tricky especially in the summer. It is clean and dry and litter free. 😀 When i get more time i will post a discription of how to find it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Wild camping on the Fife Coatal Path?’ is closed to new replies.