Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • wild camping in the pentlands?
  • MrKmkII
    Free Member

so i was thinking of taking a ride out into the pentlands tomorrow afternoon and pitching up tent, then riding back thursday. i'm looking at the map and really can't envisage a nice, secluded woods – can anyone make a suggestion? or offer any other tips?

i've not done this kind of camping before so all help will be gratefully received!

thanks!

epicsteve
    Free Member

When I've camped in the Pentlands I've either done it on top of one of the hills or, when I'm with my son, beside one of the reservoirs. The former is nice and quiet the latter less so.

There are a number of wooded areas near the track from Listonshiels to the Borestane so that might be an option. Alternatively there would be plenty of spots in the woodlands around the Nail Trail.

Campsite on top of East Kip:

MrKmkII
    Free Member

nice one, thanks. unfortunately i won't be able to fit my bike in my tent. so i guess woods would be far more sensible…?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    13thfloormonk

Some really nice looking spots in and around clubbiedean reservoir, and one of the nicest 20 metres of trail in the pentlands on your doorstep 😀

MrKmkII
    Free Member

thanks! i'll keep that in mind. don't think i've ridden that part of the hills, though was hoping for something a bit further out!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Clubbiedean would be a good option, but I have occasionally seen other people camped there.

The most popular camping spot seems to be beside Bonaly Reservoir but I've also seen people camped beside Thriepmuir – near the track to Black Springs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Id take the opportunity to go a bit further south on the pentlands – camp up below East kip perhaps or head further over towards Carlops.

13thfloormonk

Or in a similar direction, head out towards the Borestane and east/west cairn hill, I'm sure there's a wee bit of scots pine forest out there and a wall to shelter behind if needs be!

epicsteve
    Free Member

There are some trees near the Borestane itself but there are some larger and more sheltered clumps of trees east of the trail between Listonshiels and the Borestane.

There is also a decent sided clump of trees near the track between Hare Hill and West Kip – just west of the lowest point.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

excellent! thanks guys. i'll head over to borestane and see what i can find! i'm quite excited, haven't camped on my own before! :mrgreen:

cynic-al
    Free Member

haven't camped on my own before!

*hires ghost outfit*

epicsteve
    Free Member

haven't camped on my own before

I hope it ends better than my last Pentlands camp. I'd camped on top of East Kip (my photo earlier in the thread was from that trip) and was woken up in the early hours by thunder and lightening approaching from the west. As the time between the flashes and sound arriving was getting closer I decided discretion was the best option, however breaking camp and getting down from the hill at 3am in the dark and heavy mist was an interesting experience. I had a decent head-torch but the mist was so thick it was barely capable of lighting up the ground immediately in front of my feet.

The trip before that I'd camped right on the on top of East Cairn Hill but that was before I realised the pile of stones there was actually an ancient burial mound! Not that I'm a believer in ghosts and the like but when you're alone on the hill and hear sounds in the night…

julesf7
    Free Member

I had an excellent bivvy earlier in the year between Fairliehope and the North Esk Reservoir, you might know the spot from doing the Carlops loop. There's a wood, with a pleasant stream running through it, on the left hand side as you take a right up a steep hill to the penultimate house on the way to the reservoir. About 150m in there are fantastic sites for camping which you reach either along the stream or from above via the lower landy track heading left. I'll be testing my backpacking setup there later in the summer….

I camped up by the Borestane last winter, up in the plantings about 1k to the south. Fantastic views in the morning, but the pitch and comfort of the area was not a patch on the one above. Enjoy, though, whichever you choose.

druidh
    Free Member

When I was a PHRP Ranger, we used to direct folk to either Bonaly, or to a little old quarry area on the Hillend-Boghall path. This latter one is handy as it's just a short walk from the ski slope car park. It has a great view over the city in the evening – but there is no running water nearby.

Other options have been mentioned and are potentially nicer areas if you don't mind lugging the tent further.

Going up the Borestane path from Listonshiels, there's an area of woods on the left before the Yellow Brick Road junction, a lovely spot up at the Borestane itself, and another reached by heading South West from the Borestane along a small track, then downhill to an enclosed woodland. This is quite an interesting area as it's full of different species of trees.

From Listonshiels, you can follow an old track SW (detour round Listonshiels itself to the South). After a bit of moor bashing, there's an older shelter belt with a small stream running through it and a drystane dyke. The path (probably) continues to the Cauldstane Slap path but it's difficult to find now.

If you want any GRs, just let me know.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

excellent, i've got a good idea for this now. i couldn't sleep with excitement! thanks again 8)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘wild camping in the pentlands?’ is closed to new replies.