Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • wife's got a kindle fire, i like, but tell me about android tablet thingys?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

never really given much thought to little android tablets, but wife’s just got a kindle fire and its a useful little thing i’m finding. normally i use my phone for fb etc in the evening but i like the bigger screen of the kindle and that its a bit more hand freindly than my daughters ipad.

anyhow i don’t need the kindle stuff, so just wondered if anyone could tell me what to look for and maybe recomend a cheaper tablet?

mogrim

No actual recommendations, but things I’d consider:

* Cheap tablets have low-res screens, which is a pain if you’re planning on surfing the web a lot. It’s not so important for movies or ebooks. They also have a narrower viewing angle – less important, but irritating.

* Unless you’re planning on gaming the cpu speed isn’t that critical, it’ll speed up web page rendering and app startup, but unless you directly compare a fast and slow tablet side-by-side you won’t notice in practice.

* SD cards are handy for films and the like, not so useful for apps – lots of Android apps can’t be moved to the card, which means you run out of space either way… That said, it’s a plus point.

* Cheap tablets feel cheap, how important that is to you is a different matter.

* Not sure if you can still buy tablets with Android versions other than 4, but if they’re still available avoid.

Cougar

Nexus 7 is the answer you seek, I fear.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Nexus 7 is basically a Kindle Fire but without the Amazon branding/ads. I looked at them both but the Amazon-centric nature of the Kindle pushed me towards the Nexus.

ThePinkster

Bought myself one of these a couple of months ago and I think it’s great.

Really good VFM, the screen res is more than good enough, it doesn’t feel cheap in the slightest and I use it for streaming via the hdmi onto my main TV with no loss of quality.

Perfect for browsing, not at all expensive and if you want a smaller screen they even do a 7″ version for approx 80 quid.

Not regretted it at all.

ampthill

Nexus 7 does seem to do the job. Cheap but doesn’t seem cheap?!

mark90
    Free Member

Nexus 7 user here. If I was buying again it would be…….. Nexus 7 🙂

southbeds
    Free Member

there is a new Nexus7 2 on the way ,maybe next month

scottmcg
    Free Member

I’m on my nexus 7 now, I rarely use my laptop anymore for for going online.
    Well worth the money!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But a pain as far as connecting it to a USB stick or TV.

A Nexus 7.2 is rumoured to be released next month.

mudpup
    Free Member
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘wife's got a kindle fire, i like, but tell me about android tablet thingys?’ is closed to new replies.