Home Forums Bike Forum Wide MTB shoea

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Wide MTB shoea
  • jamiemcf

Seeing as the other thread is closed. The lake mx201s popped up on Instagram for me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpZvxOAsuBu/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

MX 201

Look promising but pricey

scaredypants

came here to say, if you have the money, Lake

jamiemcf

They have the mx169 as well at £150

MX 169

MSP

Has anyone tried them yet? care to give a review.

They are supposedly more foot shaped, but they still look a bit narrowish while being blunt rather than resembling the last used by say lems or vivobarefoot. I currently have some wide mx242, and the 201 have a narrower measurement but certainly a more rounded toebox.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Have you looked on Halfords website? I got my first pair of Lake wide fitting shoes there, about ten years ago, and they were a revelation! Used nothing else since…

MSP

I already have a pair of wide lake shoes, but they still narrow at the toes, the point of the mx201 is not that they are wide as per normal cycling shoe standards, but that they are foot shaped (supposedly).

Just wondering if anyone has actually tried them in person yet.

alanl
    Free Member

I always say it, Sidi Mega are the widest fit shoes that I have tried, and I’ve tried lots. I did buy some Lake MXxxx (forgot the no.), and had to go a size up (always have 44 Sidi, Lake were 45), and they were still not as wide as the Sidi Megas.
    Bought some new Megas last year from Moffat Outdoors, a really good price iirc, around £130.

ransos
    Free Member

I have some Lake gravel shoes and find them very comfortable.

submarined
    Free Member

I really wish New Balance would colab with 5:10 and produce a Freerider860v12 wide fit.

roadworrier

Freerider860v12

They could call it the ‘Freewider’…

submarined
    Free Member

Just off to purchase a cap to doff, sir

BruceWee

After reading the last thread, I got curious about the subject but didn’t fancy paying hundreds to find out if it was worth it. I had a pair of old Shimano SPD shoes that were a size too small and an old pair of these:

https://runrepeat.com/merrell-move-glove-suede

I managed to remove the SPD sole from the shimanos, cut a hole in the Merrells, and voila, possibly the comfiest SPD shoes I’ve ever worn.

The SPD sole takes up a fair bit of room so I don’t think I’d like to walk about in them all day but for biking they are tight but tight all over the foot so there is no excess movement and no uncomfortable pinch point in the toes. I thought I would have to glue the sole in to prevent sliding but the fit is perfect.

The Shimanos were size 42 and the Merrells were 43, in case anyone is interested.

MSP

I pulled the trigger on a pair of the lake mx201’s and just got them delivered this morning.

Initial thoughts just trying them on at home, no cycling yet.

Pros.

They are very comfortable
    They are much more foot shaped than any other cycling shoes I have tried, they allow the toes space like nothing else.

Cons

Expensive for the build quality and features.
    They are on the heavy side, and feel a bit clumpy (although the lake 242 are also on the heavy side).
    I don’t like a single boa, IMO they don’t spread the tightening force evenly.

shoes

From left to right they are

Lems primal zen
    altra escalante 3
    specialized recon 2
    Lake mx201
    lake mx242 (wide)

And as can be seen they are probably most comparable to the lems primal zen, which have a properly wide toe box (and how much the lake 242 force the big toe to push inward from the widest point).

I will give a review of how they feel on the bike in a couple of weeks. But first impressions are that for me the cost is worth it for the comfort of my toes, which has become an increasing problem since I switched to foot shaped shoes off the bike. But without the feature of being foot shaped, I really think these shoes are twice the price they should be. I would like lake to do a more xc/gravel lightweight oriented shoe on this last.

k1100t
    Free Member

I pulled the trigger on a pair of the lake mx201’s and just got them delivered this morning.

I need some flats and am struggling to find any wit ha wide enough toe box. I wear Lems Primal 2 day-to-day and already haver two pairs of wide fit Lakes. Did you get these direct from Lake in the US, or is there somewhere in the UK (EU) selling them?

I know it’s not bee na couple of weeks yet, but first impressions…? Especially on how true to size they are?

MSP

I bought them direct from lake (which are dispatched from the Netherlands in the eu).

They are very much a summer shoe IMO, and due to the weather in the past 2 weeks still haven’t pedaled them yet. And IMO I don’t think the sole is really flat pedal suitable, certainly not for proper mountain biking.

I hope that lake start to do more shoes built on this last, this one feels very much like a placeholder in the lineup, I think they could build better shoes using this last.

I take a size 50 in most shoes, sometimes get away with a 49, these are size 50 and feel true to size lengthwise.

mtbfix

So it’s worth bearing in mind with Lake that the higher model numbers tend to be a racier fit. Lake are distributed in the UK by Lake UK since the demise of my former employer. Richard at Salt Dog sells Lake online and is a mine of info for fit etc. A nicer bloke you won’t find.

k1100t
    Free Member

Ordered Friday, posted Monday, arrived today. Left to right: MX201 (41), MX237 Endurance Wide (42) and CX237 Wide (42). I always thought the shape of the MX237 toe box was off.
    L2R: LAKE MX201, MX237 Endurance Wide and CX237 Wide

As the MX201’s are size 41, my old custom insoles don’t fit; not surprising as they were made for a size 42 shoe. Interesting that they’ve changed the type of insole they ship.
    Insoles

Initial impressions? They’re on the small side length wise, the fit around the heel isn’t tight enough and they really should have used two BOA dials rather than one. Other than that, they appear to be the bees knees, the dogs dangly bits, and every other expression of wonderment.

I sent the dimensions of my feet to LAKE, they though either the 40.5 or 41. I was more concerned that I’d need the 43, given the widths stated on their size chart. Trying them with my thickest Sealskinz socks, there’s just not enough room length wise, the width seems fine; even though they’re technically half a centimetre too narrow.

Will try them on with a variety of socks this evening. Can help but think they’ll be going back for a larger size.

sparkerfix

I’ve just done the same! With sealkins my usual 43 was certainly snug so ive opted to go for 43.5 which have arrived today. Guess you always have the option for half size in 201’s but full sizes only in the 169’s. So some size 43’s going back shortly.

mjsmke

Some Lake shoes still go narrow at the end so only good for pointy shaped feet. I have 4EE feet and find specialized (after getting them stretched) fit well as the inside edge along your big toe doesn’t curve in.

walowiz

I can confirm the Specialized 2FO ROOST FLAT aren’t for wide feet. They’re better than most, not as wide as my older 510 free riders, but the 2fo are a better mtb / casual shoe IMVHO.

Sent the first pair back, went up a size and they’re an ok fit – but that might be due to the spesh just being a more solid & less flexy skaterboy type shoe. Good value at half price which is why I’ve kept them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.