Viewing 28 posts - 321 through 348 (of 348 total)
  • Whyte G150 or Orange 5?
  • leftyboy
    Free Member

I got an ‘old’ manual too. Did Whyte need a proof of purchase or did they just sent one out?

leftyboy
    Free Member

@whytenite Did you call ATB Sales Ltd? I assume that there’s no direct line to Whyte?

whytenite
    Free Member

Sorry for the delay Lefty,
    Yes ATB sales… A little cryptic, I know… Not an easy guess.
    A bit like the manuals in general!
    But yes, thats the people, just ask for technical sales. They are aware of the problem..
    Btw, I commented to them about the derisory “rockshox” suspension manuals offered.
    Talk about chocolate fire guard…the books I mean-
    They tell you the square root of “FA”
    I consider myself experienced; but I am a little upset about the l lack of component information on such an high profile
    And expensive piece of kit.

dvowles82
    Free Member

Been on a couple of rides on the T130 works (Medium) so far. One at Whites Level at Afan and a quick blast around Ashton Court in Bristol. Whites Level was a lot of fun – bike was a great all-rounder.

However, since getting the bike, I have had a nagging feeling that it’s just that bit too small. With the reverb extended, reach is OK on the whole, as the seat angle pitches you back (although my knees get very close to the bars on switchbacks, even with the 70mm stem). However, when standing it just feels that bit too short in the top tube and wheelbase for my height. I have a 32” inseam and my height is 179cm, so 5’10.5”.

It’s really been nagging on me, after dropping £3k on a bike, you kinda want it to be spot on. I’d definitely not want to run a longer stem. Similarly, the Large T130 is too big for me (the seat tube is just too long).

So with regret, I think the bike is going to have to go back. Bike UK are really accommodating like that, with their 7-day exchange. Thing is, I got this bike with a credit note from a previously returned bike!! Just stumped for options though – the T129 Scr would be ideal in terms of geometry, but I’m not keen on the wheel size – tried last year’s T129 and didn’t gel with the way it handled. The G150 in medium was a perfect fit. But it was a lot more sluggish at Ashton Court (pretty flat and pedally terrain), so I worry it won’t be a very fun/agile/playful all-rounder like the T130 is. The flip side is that it would be better for the rougher trail centre/bike park descents that I’d be doing often! Also, I may get used to it.

Or, it’s scrap that entirely and go with a different brand. The shop can get in: Marin, Orange, Saracen, Santa Cruz and Whyte.

Any advice?!

richwales

Have you tried the Large t130? Im about the same height as you and 19″ seat tubes have never been a problem – certainly never felt in the way when the seat is dropped.
    EDIT – I tested the large myself and it fitted well

dvowles82
    Free Member

I sat on a large in the shop. The reverb was 1cm away from being entirely in to the seat tube. Even with the post extended a mere 2 inches, I was on tip toes already. However, I may go in again to re-try, with it all the way down. Also, I guess the XC/Climbing saddle height will be a bit higher than me on tip toes.

On my medium, the reverb is about 3cm away from being entirely into the seat tube.

What is your inside leg and height??

richwales

5’10.5 and 32 – and always had medium bikes as I was put off by the long seat tube. Since then have had large sjumper evo, 5 spot and 5010. the seat tube length itself was never an issue. Ask the shop if you can get a pedal on it?

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” with a 32″ inside leg and the medium is perfect for me, might swap the stem from 70mm to 60mm just as an experiement

dvowles82
    Free Member

Richwales- thanks will go in and have a play. Certainly the Santa Cruz 5010 medium would be too small, but the t130 is of course bigger.

Weirdly though, the shop phoned whyte, who advised I should be on a medium. I also phoned 3 other shops and they all advised a medium too.

Perhaps it’s paranoia/remorse at having spent 3000. Plus all these reviews of late, banging on about long top tubes, short stem.

Alternative is a t129 scr in medium which has long top tube, short stem. But concerned it won’t be as playful.

mimmiethecat
    Free Member

dvowles 82- Whyte have a demo fleet, I tried the T130 and T129scr this weekend. Might be worth trying to get a demo on t129scr, all the demo bikes are medium or small I think.

I am about the same size at 180cm and 32 leg and found the T130 far to short, absolutely hated it after riding T129 first. First time on a 29er and I didn’t notice the bigger wheels other than loads of grip up and down and seemed incredibly fast.

Tried a G150 in medium and that seemed to fit me fine, I think the T130 just comes up quite short/small.

PrinceJohn

I found the t-130 sluggish & boring around Ashton Court after the forest of dean, but I think that’s more the trail at Ashton Court than the bike.

I’m 5’10 & the medium is a perfect fit, I test rode the 29er t129 & it was an absolute blast, just so quick, but not as much fun, hence settling on a T130

dvowles82
    Free Member

Mimmiethecat- interesting, did you not find the t130 more poppy, agile and plaplayful after being on the t129? It’s the other way of looking at it. And what did you think of the g150?

It’s a pity the t130 doesn’t reflect the t129 in terms of geometry for the scr version. T129 is almost identical to the t130 but the scr t129 is a fair bit longer.

dvowles82
    Free Member

P.s. Lefty boy and Princejohn- what bikes did you own before getting the t130?

PrinceJohn

Ive also got a pa and used to have a 26″ camber, which I never really fell in love with. I don’t think I’ll ever sell the pa, but I’m pleased to see the back of the camber

dan2406

Thanks Leftboy and others for this thread. Been keeping an eye on it for some time now as very keen on updating my current FS. So with all the good reviews and recent visit to the cycle show have now put deposit down on the T130 S. Can’t wait for it to arrive. Any recommendations for protecting the paintwork ? Or any advice on any adjustments/improvements? Couldn’t really push for the works model but that also looked pretty awesome spec. Cheers guys.

arbie
    Free Member

@dan2406

Having spent a very enjoyable weekend in the Lakes with lecky94 thrashing a T130 S and Works on some very challenging terrain. I’d say you will be more than happy with the S spec. adjustments/improvements minimal, change the grips to suit you taste as stock are bit hard but fine with gloves tbh. Switch to tubeless straight away as you might as well (and saves you buying spare 650b tubes). I’m 5ft 6 so switched to a 45mm stem, but I wouldn’t rush to change unless your short like me on a medium. Only other tweak would be to check where the cables run under the bottom bracket, they sit in a little plastic clip and might wear thorough over time, which is a pain as they are internally routed.

dan2406

Thanks. Ref tubeless. Are the WTB tyres a good setup even for this time of year or should I get a more winter prepared setup?

arbie
    Free Member

Tyres are such a personal thing and no longer cheap, I’ve not run the WTB, but they look fine to me, unless your going to be riding serious mud (and then your options are limited in (650b) currently. I would just set them up tubless and get to know the bike first and what you need for your local trails from a tyre. You’ll prob get more performance out of tuning and understanding pressure than just switching to another brand.

leftyboy
    Free Member

@dvowles82 too many to name but my current HT is a Kinesis Decade 2 custom build, my current road bike is a Defy 1.

Other bikes over the years – MuddyFox 20+ years ago, Cannondale HT rigid, Cannondale HT with leftyfork, Stumpjumpers both HT and FS, GT LTS, GT STS, On-One 456, ParkPre Race Ti hardtail.

Wanted some thing British and fun. One of my riding buddys rides a 2013 901 and loves it hence the Whyte.

xtc123
    Free Member

Anyone who has a Whyte with internal routing know how hard it is to change the derailler cables or remove the front derailler from the t130s?
    How’s everyone t130 s mines on order and is due in on the 20th, this thread helped me get one!
    Cheers

freaky69
    Free Member

Good afternoon gents and ladies I was just wondering how your getting on with the T 130? I’m thinking of selling my T129 works 2014 and getting a 130 Works! I’ve had the 130 works on demo for the weekend and it certainly is more fun but my only concern is my mates all have 29ers except one and I’m gonna get left behind! How our you finding the speed of a 27.5?? I love the feel of the rock shox set up and was wondering if this is what made me love the 130 and wether I should upgrade to a pike and monarch rear on my 129????
    Many thanks Shane

Mugboo

Please don’t take this the wrong way but I’m not sure that wheel size will have any real relevance on whether or not you get left behind.
    If you fancy a new bike though, get it bought 🙂

freaky69
    Free Member

Thanks Mugboo I am now the owner of a medium T130 Works!!!!

dvowles82
    Free Member

Haha, that didn’t take much convincing!

freaky69
    Free Member

It sure didn’t and I’m glad I purchased it! Still got to get the confidence up with the smaller wheels or it might just be the tyres? But it sure is more fun than the T129 and the 1 x 11 set up is superb. Going to take it to Swinley Forest tomorrow and cwmcarn in march HAPPY DAYS!!!

dvowles82
    Free Member

Glad you’re liking your new T130.

I have done a few more rides on mine and it continues to impress. The other day, me and a couple of mates did W2 at Afan (44km, combining The Wall and Whites Level trails). I’ve done both of those trails a few times, but they really do show what the bike is capable of. It climbs well – pedal efficiency is top notch, but the rear end is plush enough to make climbing up technical, rocky sections a breeze. The front end does feel fairly light for a trail bike, so I did find myself leaning forward a fair bit on steeper climbs, but no problem with that.

On the steeper, faster and more demanding descents, it copes well, launching off lips and steps etc. The suspension at both ends is so so good – plush, supportive and stiff. But it also bails you out on occasion when you hit a dodgy line. I use all the travel but it’s sufficient on the whole and it’s rare I am left wishing for more. It definitely feels a bit twitchy at times on the steepest, roughest sections (and it’s compounded slightly by not being able to slam the saddle quite as far as I’d like given the 19” seatpost). Not in an unmanageable way, but I definitely find myself reigning it in slightly. It’s on those sections that my mate on his Orange Alpine 160 tends to let off the brakes and edge ahead. But some of that is down to rider skill!

Where it really excels is when the downward gradient is moderate. It’s planted, lively, poppy, stiff and playful. It absolutely tears round banked corners and can be slalomed between alternating corners with ease. The more moderate, twisty, rocky descents of Afan can be blasted on this bike. Considering that the majority of most standard trails is ‘moderate’, it’s a pretty ideal bike for the majority of riding. I’m yet to take it to Bike Park Wales (blue and red only), but hoping it doesn’t leave me wishing for more length/travel/slackness.

Contrary to a lot of people’s comments, I’ve found the tyres to be superb. Fast rolling and plenty grip enough for most situations. No, they aren’t mud tyres, but then it’s not often I find myself in gloop to be honest.

Gears and brakes both great.

Still torn about cockpit changes. Have just made do with stock so far. At 5’10”, the stock 70mm stem on size Large frame definitely stretches me out slightly too much, but only just, so I have a renthal Apex 50mm to fit, but concerned it may be a bit cramped then. May have to be 60mm. I’m also planning to get some new bars – either 740mm Renthal fatbar lite carbon, or the Renthal 780mm carbons. Again, 780mm may be excessive for a trail bike. Could trim to 760mm. If they have less backsweep than the stock Whyte bars, then perhaps that 50mm stem will be ok in terms of reach.

But yes, great bike.

cookiemtb
    Free Member

Hi chaps,
    New to the forum although I did lurk about for abit while deciding on a recent bike change! After quite a bit of tooing and frooing I eventually decided on the 2015 G150, which I must say is a friggin’cracker. My requirement was for a bike that would be a bit of an all rounder – competent on X-country with longer travel for my enduro needs and as important as anything else, the ability to climb was a must. I struggled with 2 questionns – metal or carbon and 2×10 or 1×11… and in the end, for the sake of a kilo, i deceded that the standard package offer on the G150, inc. the 1×11, pike and monarch was worth it.
    As much as i’m unsure about the speed difference between 650b and 26″, i’ve found that there is a definate difference in the roll especially over rougher terrain. This, coupled with the stiffness of frame and rear shock really make for an impressive ride. I allows me to climb as well as I want on it and I just couldn’t be happier with my decision.

marcusrayner
    Free Member

Hi all,

New G150 owner here, having come over from a 26inch Orange Five. I have just returned from BPW and Afan and found the rear end too progressive. Now this may be because I have come from a Five which is very linear, but I was running 30% sag and never achieved full travel and ended up with aching feet.

So I was wondering what sag other G150 owners are running? I have removed the air can and there are no tuning bands in there so its already on the minimum in terms of user tweaking of ramp up. I really don’t want to run more than 30-35% sag as you start to eat into your usable travel and lugging a 150mm bike around becomes pointless if the usable travel is down to 90/100mm….

Any advice would be appreciated please. Other option is to send it off to TFT for a revalve but thought I would see what sag you guys run first.

Cheers

Marcus

Viewing 28 posts - 321 through 348 (of 348 total)

The topic ‘Whyte G150 or Orange 5?’ is closed to new replies.