Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Why snow tyres are pointless
  • andyl
    Free Member

And yet the tesco van that just delivered my shopping had winter tyres on it, what a world.

Supermarket delivery vans are the fastest vehicles on the roads though to be fair 😉

But yes, same as the point I was just making with regards to couriers and emergency services. Supplying them with snow socks is a joke.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Around here some ambulances are full on sprinter 4x4s on winters. They have landys as well for when its really bad. Octavia 4x4s for first responders etc etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But yes, same as the point I was just making with regards to couriers and emergency services. Supplying them with snow socks is a joke.

Must be the equivalent of a good standup rather than dad joke, they work…………….

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

yeah. Thats been an issue for me the last couple of weeks. Not sure what the issue is though. The couple of cm of snow i had to drive to work in and 5-8cm on the way home were less annoying, and less noticeable than the pauses in the music. 🙁

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Must be the equivalent of a good standup rather than dad joke, they work…………….

Think of the headlines when Patient X dies as ambulance crew stuggle to get their socks on. 😈

andyl
    Free Member

Must be the equivalent of a good standup rather than dad joke, they work……………

They work yes, when you are not in a rush.

Ambulance starts off on clear gritted roads by the ambulance station – fine

Ambulance gets to rural location and needs to stop to fit snow socks – x minutes wasted, extra effort and fatigue to the crew

Ambulance proceeds at speed limit of snow socks

Amulance picks up patient and heads back to main roads again limited by the snow sock max speed

Crews stop again to remove the snow socks so they can drive at any kind of speed.

Drop off patient.

Go inspect snow socks to make sure they are undamaged ready for next trip.

Repeat.

Or just fit M&S rated tyres…

hora
    Free Member

It’s driver ability first. Tyres, car and drive just aid technique.

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Must be the equivalent of a good standup rather than dad joke, they work..

They work OK on snow, but require fitting and removing when you go on and off snow. But they do nothing for general cold driving, cold wet driving etc. It’s the old “they’re not snow tyres” again.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Hardly, it’s just more than a decade of practice driving on snow and ice. Every. Single. Year. That’s (on average) 4 months a year, on sheet ice, and snow. Every day. Even to get to the shops (for me anyway).

And having the right tool for the job helps.

And not driving like a dick.

Lionheart
    Free Member

I don’t think they are pointless, we put a set on the wife’s RAV4 each winter and they make it an impressive on the roads winter vehicle but… Each winter sprog James and I get a winter car, last few have been Xantia estate, Clio 2, Xantia saloon, and this year a Micra 2. These cars with narrow tyres and fwd just don’t stop, if it’s looking particularly difficult we lower the pressures significantly and they just keep going in pretty dire conditions often passing stuck ‘road’ 4x4s.
    Still this year winter tyres have seemed a pointless precaution as no winter conditions down here – yet (?)

Edukator
    Free Member

I’d rather have my wife drive me up and down to the ski resort on a mix of verglas and polished ploughed snow in a fwd car with Michelin Alpins than you driving any car you want on Summer tyres, Hora. No amount of ability provides the grip for getting safely up and down 13% gradients on verglas, Winter tyres do if you’re careful (rather than skillful).

In terms of getting safely down steep gradients on ice ABS has made us all equal. If you go slowly and you’re on Winter tyres you’ll be fine.

iolo
    Free Member

In Austria, from October to April Winter tyres are mandatory. If there’s snow or slush on the ground and you’re on normal tyres, it’s 5000 euro fine.

scotroutes

Austria? What would they know about driving in winter conditions? 🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

snow tyre threads are pointless unless it snows daaan saaf

mattyfez

The moral of the story is RWD is not suitable for snow, regardless of fancy tyres and cushions.

If the snow is really bad then you’d need tyre chains, which are not legal in this country because the snow doesn’t get that bad. People just don’t know how to drive or buy inappropriate cars. Hence the big boom in ‘winter tyre’ sales.

butcher

I wouldn’t go back from winter tyres now. Winters have all been mild since I started using them (sod’s law), but they’ve still made a massive difference in traction, despite previously using highly recommended all season (non M&S) tyres. Difference is night and day.

Currently leave them on all year round.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

snow tyre threads are pointless unless it snows daaan saaf

In the last ten years, my part of Surrey has seen 5 winters with snow on the ground for at least a month. Winter tyres have been well worth it.
    Even when it’s as mild as this year they’re pretty handy on muddy roads.

butcher

If the snow is really bad then you’d need tyre chains, which are not legal in this country because the snow doesn’t get that bad.

Are they illegal? Or just when the road hasn’t got a full covering of snow/ice – that’s what I thought?

Seen a big AA or RAC rescue truck crossing the moors on them a couple of months back. It was the only thing I seen up there.

sweepy
    Free Member

Chains are legal in the snow, i’ve only had to put them on a few times and they were back off pretty quick, but I was glad I had them or it would have been the long way round for me.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Had some fun in the snow on this beast.Bog standard ‘Trailwings’,I’ve read of people putting self tappers into the nobblies for traction.I’m not sure if something similar would work on car tyres?

hora
    Free Member

The moral of the story is BMW really isn’t the ultimate driving machine. Too many people believe the marketing and handling technology acronyms. Instead of thinking about skill, applying common sense and adapting to ever changing movements and balance. I bet there’s a fair few drivers who will press the throttle and expect [insert acronym] to sort it out for them.

konabunny
    Free Member

Now got to Harrogate and it makes no difference having snow socks, 4×4, superman, it’s just gridlocked.

Seems a bit unlikely when Harrogate doesn’t have a grid street layout.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Always baffled me why the emergency services dont fit M&S tyres to all their vehicles in the winter. I know storage is a bit of a problem but surely councils have somewhere to stash them all or even just at the back of the depot?

Fire engines use snow chains when necessary (do in NI anyway). With a lockable rear diff, it makes a massive difference too – and I guess the weight from the water helps.

cubist
    Free Member

The moral of the story is BMW really isn’t the ultimate driving machine. Too many people believe the marketing and handling technology acronyms. Instead of thinking about skill, applying common sense and adapting to ever changing movements and balance. I bet there’s a fair few drivers who will press the throttle and expect [insert acronym] to sort it out for them.

TBF ‘push the throttle and let the tech deal with it’ got my car out from here after the ride. I was the only idiot not in a 4×4 and I think everyone else expected to have to pull me out. Snow tyres wold probably have helped and would definitely have been safer which is surely the most important thing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The moral of the story is RWD is not suitable for snow, regardless of fancy tyres and cushions.

If the snow is really bad then you’d need tyre chains, which are not legal in this country because the snow doesn’t get that bad. People just don’t know how to drive or buy inappropriate cars. Hence the big boom in ‘winter tyre’ sales.

So what are these magical laws of physics bending suitable cars called then ?

I put winters on the berlingo – it was pretty good at getting going on snow before but ice and stopping in particular was a lottery…..with winters on the only thing that stops it moving is if the snow is too high for the ground clearance, everything else functions as if it was just a wet day.

I guess my land rover is probably a suitable car – how ever stick it on summer tyres it becomes a completely useless car and a rwd on winters will drive straight past it.

Its seems that most of the haterz /driving gods have either not used winters or dont get snow.

As for getting stuck behind other traffic not on winter tyres – i just go over the untreated back roads and only meet the occasional 4×4.

mmannerr

Good guess but had to take wife’s car since ski racks don’t fit to my vehicle. 🙂

RWD / FWD / 4WD all good with proper tyres, much of the ability to go forward depends also on weight distribution and tyre width. The driver skills are most important in all cases.

v8ninety

To clarify, Ambo tyres ARE M&S rated, but they are no substitute for snow socks when you get a white over at 3am. All our RRVs are 4×4, and they also need snow socks when it gets fluffy.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Think there’s a lot of confusion caused by the fact that M+S rated tyres are not always winter tyres. Winter tyres are 3 peak mountain snowflake rated.

benp1

I always thought a M+S tyre just had lots of tread

A winter tyre is actually designed to be used in cold conditions (which obviously includes more tread, but also a different compound etc)

trail_rat
    Free Member

that is correct benp1.

annoyingly some tyres come in both variants as well…

took me ages to find some bfg MUD km2s with the 3 snowflake rating as oppose to the cheapass m+s ones.

P20

Some of our ambulances have got auto snow chains fitted.

[video]http://youtu.be/u33mxK21ajc[/video]

Our BMW X1 RRVs are now being fitted with the Michelin cross climate tyres so we don’t have to change between summer and winter tyres. They work, but aren’t as good a as a full winter tyre

In answer to the title, no they aren’t pointless. Winter tyres work.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Driving skills my arse. You don’t even need to be in a RWD BMW to make progress in the snow.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAr6cHSNQaQ[/video]

Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Why snow tyres are pointless’ is closed to new replies.