Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Why should Apple users be nerds?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Completely wrong and quite insulting I think.
    Macs are probably the least ‘nerdy’ OS out there for the average user. Are people who call Mac users ‘nerds’, etc simply jealous of people who use an OS that’s easy to use, very reliable, almost completely virus free and easy to maintain?
    Oh, and I use PC’s all day but have a sudo mac [hackintosh] at home for.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I have no idea what a ‘sudo mac’ is.

I guess that’s because I’m not a nerd.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I have no idea what a ‘sudo mac’ is.

OSX installed on a PC. Why? ‘cos I can.

jota180
    Free Member

OSX installed on a PC

definitely sounds a bit nerdy to me

peterfile
    Free Member

ha ha, there are nerds in every walk of life!

We’re all push bike nerds aren’t we? I immediately slip into nerd/geek mode when I see someone on a shuttle with a nice piece of kit that I want 🙂

I don’t get the whole mac/windows divide. I think if you care too much about it, that in itself makes you a nerd. I use all my mac AND windows stuff without really finding the need to completely berate either.

I think it’s easier for PCs to attract nerds because they are so customisable (a bit like us push bike nerds, we like buying from the frame up since we all know so much about bikes and you simply MUST have kashima coating otherwise your stanchions might as well be coated in sandpaper 😉 )

stumpy01

Good attempt to prove that you are not a nerd…..

….until you typed this:

followed by:

Why? ‘cos I can.

I think it’s just a bit of light hearted messing about, isn’t it?
    I get called ‘camera geek’ or ‘bike geek’ by family & mates who aren’t into bikes & cameras…..I take it as something to be proud of.

Embrace the nerd-ness & chill out.

Jamie
    Free Member

Lordy. Looks like a [wannabe] nerd got out of the wrong side of the futon today.

Lifer
    Free Member

Pseudo

jota180
    Free Member

Isn’t sudo a Linux app?

A nerd for sure

soma_rich
    Free Member

sudo is linux for Super User DO.

Must be a nerd

D0NK

OSX installed on a PC. Why? ‘cos I can. I’m an aple nerd

sorry couldn’t resist.
    but hey atleast your not a linux freak 😉

ericemel
    Free Member

Apples are for people who want to tell people they are cool and have apples. Or for arty types who don’t know anythign else. Or for the basic user who wants to pay a lot for basic features that just work.

PC’s are for people who can’t afford Apples, or are geeky enough to care about price:performance ratios and can be bothered to get it to work better/faster than an out the box apple.

Cougar

Mac users are nerds? 😯

Art students, maybe.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

They are nerds because they think choosing one brand of mass produced consumer electronics over another brand of mass produced consumer electronics makes them a beautiful and unique snowflake – a free radical and spiritual successor to Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatama Gandhi.

As a disclaimer – not all Apple users are like this – academic studies have shown that the insufferable gimp ratio is only about 78%, so there is a sizeable minority who are okay.

Jamie
    Free Member

Spoken like a true Microsoft weirdo 8)

ericemel
    Free Member

I have an attractive wife, a nice car, my bike looks good as bikes go, why should my home computer not be nice on the eye as it sits on my lounge on a very nice Hifi rack

I am an apple buyer 🙂 – a nerd I doubt it.

rOcKeTdOg

Misguided yes, brain washed? Maybe, nerds? Nah, nerd implies a certain amount of inteligence

Flaperon

I wish I was a nerd when it came to Macs, as once again a system with 8GB of RAM slows to a crawl after Preview takes up 7GB of it doing nothing more than showing three or four PDF manuals. Memory leak? What’s that?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Embrace the nerd-ness & chill out.

You’re probably right…. time for a coffee I think! Now where’s my burr ginder/Gaggia – oh yeah, I haven’t got either 😉

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yes Nerd is harsh….Geek or Dork is much more applicable

scuzz
    Free Member

A computer is a tool, nothing more. When a company starts touting their particular tool as a ‘lifestyle’ choice, something’s gone amiss.

mrblobby
    Free Member

When and how did the whole Apple geek cult thing come about?

Back in the day it was mostly artists, designers and publishers that used Apple kit. I’m sure it wasn’t around then. Proper geeks were almost exclusively using variants of unix. Maybe it’s become a geek thing since Apple put a nice interface on top of an unix variant as part of OS X?

A computer is a tool, but most people like to surround themselves with aesthetically pleasing things, even geeks!

peterfile
    Free Member

A computer is a tool, nothing more. When a company starts touting their particular tool as a ‘lifestyle’ choice, something’s gone amiss.

Pretty much EVERYTHING we use on a daily basis is manufactured, marketed and sold to fulfil a lifestyle choice to a certain extent. It can be a bit much at times, but what’s the alternative? Shoot all the designers and live in a world of complete functionality and no style? All dress the same? Booooooo. Then I wouldn’t be able to point and laugh at the hipsters on their fixies 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

I don’t think you’d have to shoot all the designers. Just have a yearly cull, like seals.
    Baseball bat, Starbucks, job done.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Baseball bat, Starbucks, job done.

You’d be rubbish at this… why not wait until Apple unveils its latest gadget and then ‘bat’ anyone who queues outside the store?

vorlich
    Free Member

I’m a mac owner and Solaris Sysadmin. I just got tired of fixing shit at work all day, just to come home and do the same on Windows. My Macbook is lovely, the hardware is head & shoulders above Acer/Dell etc [maybe not in reliabilty terms, but the apple mutlitouch trackpad can’t be beat and the Alu enclosure is very robust]. Mainly I use a Mac as I require Photoshop & Lightroom, otherwise I’d probably use Linux of some sort [Don’t talk to me about WINE]. I find the OSX gui to be much more classy than Windows which is horribly gaudy.

jota180
    Free Member

I just got tired of fixing shit at work all day, just to come home and do the same on Windows

How do you manage to break it so much?
    I can’t remember the last issue I had with this box – getting used 12 hours/day

derekrides
    Free Member

Time was, PC users were the nerds and Unix super nerds, I guess it must be since OSX arrived that Mac users became nerds.

Personally having ran the gamut of lots of platforms, until Lion the mac was without doubt the best platform for simplicity and turnkey plug and play, it’s not now Lion has made it over bloated in an effort to appeal to the mass market.

Having said that it’s a long time since I tried to battle with windoze and although pleasantly surprised by 7 I’m still struggling to get my parallels mac to network connect with the bloody PC laptop I have to use to place orders with our corporate HQ in france on an antiquated MS Access database.

scuzz
    Free Member

Yup, peterfile – it can be a bit much at times.
    I’m not advocating there be no style in the Laptop world – I recoil at IBM Thinkpads like they carry disease. Macs now seem like a uniform to me. Sure they’re stylish, but the lock-ins to Apple and cancelling of jailbroken items etc just scream to me that Apple products don’t really belong to you. Fair enough, but how does individuality come into this?

I know no one cares about my personal experience with Mac or PC, but there might be more ad revenue from me typing this. I’ve simply not had a problem with Windows since ’98, unless you count failing to boot because I thought 4.2GHz on an old Pentium 4 on stock air was a good idea. The benefits I get from using Windows still exist: Stuff like hacking drivers so my little gaming card acts like a workstation card. Using the hardware I want very easily.

*wanders off muttering about the death of the American Dream, Apple drones…*

Cougar

I tried to battle with windoze

Were you using Micro$oft Internet Exploder too?

geebus
    Free Member

In my experience Mac Users tend to be fashionable idiots or super-nerds.

It makes things easier for the fashionable idiots because a lot of options are removed from view.

This means you need to have pretty decent *nix command line knowledge to do a lot of things that are much easier for a low-level geek on a windows system.

I had a work macbook pro for a year and a half – no way I’d have one if it wasn’t provided for me. I’m proficient enough with a command line and google to be able to work most things out thankfully.
    My latest Dell (to be fair outlet) cost me under half the price of a similar spec Mac and I can run a wider range of programs with more flexibility on it.

vorlich
    Free Member

How do you manage to break it so much?

Let’s see, a suspend feature which never worked from day one, no amount of BIOS flashing or footering could fix it.

Let’s not pretend the Windows ‘half-life’ feature where the system slows to a crawl over a 6-12 month period requiring a clean install, doesn’t exist either.

Cougar

Let’s see, a suspend feature which never worked from day one, no amount of BIOS flashing or footering could fix it.

Wow, that’s a show-stopper.

Let’s not pretend the Windows ‘half-life’ feature where the system slows to a crawl over a 6-12 month period requiring a clean install, doesn’t exist either.

It doesn’t. You’ve used a PC since Windows 95 came out, yes?

geebus
    Free Member

I found my MAC definitely slowed over the time I had it.
    Had a great one where using the Mac+Space search it advised the standard “use this to find what you want quicker”, then a bit lower down “Indexing, ready in 98 minutes” – or something along those lines.

duffmiver
    Free Member

Another, “I work in IT, therefore I am a POWER-USER, but actually knows just enough to **** everything up” idiot!!

vorlich
    Free Member

Wow, that’s a show-stopper.

It doesn’t. You’ve used a PC since Windows 95 came out, yes?

Yes, yes it is. When it means your filesystem is inconsistant and has to be checked each and every time.

Umm, Vista?

vorlich
    Free Member

Muffdiver, what a ****

duffmiver
    Free Member

Dude? Hero?

Jamie
    Free Member

STW must be delicious, as it just cannot stop eating itself.

Misguided yes, brain washed? Maybe, nerds? Nah, nerd implies a certain amount of inteligence

/sigh

Stuey01
    Free Member

Just me? Oh well.
    You are a nerd for having a Hackintosh BTW. If you had just gone out and bought an off the shelf Mac because it is just easier, then you wouldn’t be a nerd.

…sent from my IBM Thinkpad

…my other Computer is a Macbook Pro 😉 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Why should Apple users be nerds?’ is closed to new replies.