Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What can I do about my ganglion?
  • teacake
    Free Member

Have a ganglion (I think) on my left wrist. Notice it particularly when the trails get rough or if I do press-ups. It’s been there for a few months, but now is beginning to restrict my range of movement.

Advice please!

trailmonkey

whack it with a big book – no seriously

Drac

Yup that’s the good old fashioned technique.

sweepy
    Free Member

whack it with a big book – no seriously

Traditionally the family bible 🙂

xterramac
    Free Member

I had a ganglion or X-Files lump as my mates called it, apeer in 1997. i didn’t do anything about it and since then it just comes and go’s as it feels necessary!! I guess its abit odd, but its never hurt or anything… I wouldn’t bother worrying about it, just get out and ride

finbar
    Free Member

I had one on a tendon in my foot for ages, maybe a month or two. Eventually i got so annoyed i belted it and it went away. True story.

wwaswas

I had one on my right wrist for years.

I fell off my bike and broke my hip. Somehow in the melee of me hitting the ground hard I burst the ganglion and it went but I gained one on my left middle finger joint.

they’re fairly benign and they don’t always go with a bash – unless it’s causign mobility issues I’d leave it.

senorj

I have just battered the one on my wrist with a large book.
    We’ll see if it goes. My work colleagues think I’m crackers!

lowey

I had one on my wrist and the GP stuck a needle in and drained it.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

My mum has one on her foot, she had it drained but it came back again. It disappeared for a while after she knelt down and squished it, but again it came back.
    She’s been advised just to leave it be unless it causes problems, as although surgery is an option it still might come back and has quite a long recovery by the sounds of it.

I’ve heard lots about hitting it with a book – my mum is too scared to try but many people report success!

chugg08

Had one removed off my neck last Tuesday. 20 mins under local anaesthetic, no pain before during or after…job done.

Hitting it with a book wsan’t on my list of “must try” self remedies

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Had one. It went away by itself. This thread has only reminded me. I’d forgotten all about it.

dr_death
    Free Member

The traditional treatment was to hit it with the family bible. This wasonly because it was the biggest book that most people owned, anything big and heavy will do; we now recommend the oxford textbook of medicine as its bigger (and not so filled with lies).

However, this only hurts (at worst) and bursts it at best. Doesn’t actually get rid of the problem, which is usually a little outpouching of the tendon sheath full of fluid. Disappears when burst but usually comes back, ditto if the fluid is sucked out. Surgical removal gets rid of them permanently but only really considered if it is causing issues.

If it is big enough to restrict your range of movement then the answer for a permanent cure is to chop it out… Hitting it with the OTM may cure it, but will probably just hurt.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What can I do about my ganglion?’ is closed to new replies.