• This topic has 72 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Why send a mobile phone to school?
  • allthegear
    Free Member

I noticed a few people in the Nintendo to school debate that quite a few parents seem to want to send their child to school with a mobile phone. Why is that? I don’t get it – if something happens at school, surely the school have a phone?

Now, I’m not a parent, nor will I ever be, so I’m not judging in any way other people’s decisions but I am intrigued by the motives. Why?

Rachel

wwaswas

with our 15 year old son it allows him to make last minute plans and let us know what’s happening and then we don’t worry.

for our 10 year old daughter, larlegly because her big brother has one originally but there are a number of after school activities she does and being able to communicate via text etc has been very useful on occasion.

neither use their phones to text/call us much tbh.

neither has had the thing confistcated so one can only assume they’ve been sensible about them during the school day.

yes we could cope without but, then again, why should we.

AndyP
    Free Member

It’s a parent’s right, alongside taking the kids out of school so that they can have cheaper holidays, or abusing the teachers at parents’ evening.

wwaswas

well that didn’t take long 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

bane of teachers life.

my girlfriends school actually insists that all mobiles be put in a box(inside a pupil labeled bag) at the start of the lesson.

if they are not put in the box and are seen in the classroom they are taken off them and returned at the end of the day.

Dramatically increased classroom attention after that

hora
    Free Member

Dunno. If its because of someone worrying and think it’ll add to safety Milly Dowler had her mobile phone on her.

You can only protect your child so much. A phone in my backpack would do **** all if a big lad suddenly grabbed and overpowered me.

scaredypants

Mine has one (12yrs), slightly because she likes to txt hr mts now & then, occasionally because she sometimes misses her 10mile bus ride home and rings from the station (where, of course, there’s a telephone – it’s dual purpose as there’s a gents toilet corner in the same space)

… but mostly because it gives AndyP a means of justifying his existence

Nobody needs one but lots of people of all ages find them useful

hora
    Free Member

TBH I imagine hora junior will be out getting into the odd scrapes so a simple call away from mrshora would help sooth her worry etc.

jota180
    Free Member

It’s all to do the the fear of not being contactable 24/7 that a lot of folk seem to have these days

robbo
    Free Member

Why do you have a mobile? Why do you not use it in inappropriate situations like meetings?

It’s partly about learning self control. We have very few issues about phones in our school. Some are confiscated. Often the rest of the class shout down someone whose phone goes off, just like in an ‘adult’ meeting.

Treat them like adults and they behave like adults.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Treat them like adults and they behave like adults.”

obviously your in an affluent area and not an inner city school.

give them an inch and they take a mile ….. – she has some classes that she can give respect and as you say they respect her for that but some of the lower classes need a heavy hand or they try to run riot.

been a steep learning curve from her working in country schools in th highlands and islands !

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

So, my daughter’s bessie mate invites here back to hers to play my little pony on the wiibox or watch nightlight or whatever young un’s do after school nowadays, daughter can text mum to say where she’s going, and mum can arrange what time she’ll be back and whether to cook tea for her.

Way more freedom than we had as kids! Perfect.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I think a more pertinent question would be “why not?” It’s 2012, everyone has a phone. Life was worse without cellphones.

AndyP
    Free Member

… but mostly because it gives AndyP a means of justifying his existence

Nice of you to think of me but really, it’s not necessary. I’ve got plenty.

tracknicko
    Free Member

tempted to do the ‘barbie’s mrs’ technique where i lecture.

about 80-100 21 year olds. ALL facebooking, texting etc. for the whole hour.

infuriating. but even when they are interested in what you teach, a single beep from the sodding phone and you’ve lost them again.

it’s a real shame. i’d genuinely suggest they take in about 20-30% of what they are taught over the whole 4 years these days.

bangaio
    Free Member

As a teacher the mobile phone is the single biggest problem in my school (normal secondary comp – nice area). We have a no sight or sound policy and they are confiscated and only picked up by parents however they still use them, bully with them, organise fight with them, send inappropriate photos with them, have them stolen. It’s a nightmare. Believe it or not people managed to cope without them.

allthegear
    Free Member

20-30%? in four years? I think that is a marked improvement on a few years ago, surely? In fact, that’s a fantastic learning rate!!

Rachel

wwaswas

My wife’s a Deputy Head – her view is that it’s not mobile phones that are the issue but inappropriate use of them.

Bullying, fights and theft happened in schools before mobile phones were there.

jota180
    Free Member

her view is that it’s not mobile phones that are the issue but inappropriate use of them.

That’s sort of obvious isn’t it?

bit like the “guns don’t kill people” position

bangaio
    Free Member

Indeed fights did happen but did but the organisation is prolific and bullying takes on a far more systematic nature and it seriously affects pupil’s independence believe it or not.

br
    Free Member

Rachel – When you’ve kids you might understand why they may need a mobile phone, until then unless you are a teacher – what is your problem?

Believe it or not people managed to cope without them.

Yep, and also without laptops, dishwasher, electric kettles and shoes…

allthegear
    Free Member

b r – I don’t have a problem and don’t really have a view either way. I was just intrigued by comments elsewhere, that’s all. I find it interesting that kids are given these expensive things and I just can’t work out why.

I used to teach, not any more, and I won’t be having any kids of my own…

Rachel

druidh
    Free Member

rachel – why does anyone need a mobile phone?

br
    Free Member

rachel – why does anyone need a mobile phone?

As someone who use to travel heavily for work the ability for people to get in touch easily and vv was a breakthrough – no more foreign operators and huge bills.

If you are not old enough to remember, ask your parents…

My 3 kids have them, increases their independence plus we can easily contact each other – no brainer, and cheap with the right deal.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not read any of the posts but…

When I was a kid I never had a phone and I got by just fine.

BUT

Mobile phones are now cheap and readily available so why not let your child have one wherever they go – you never know, one day it might just save them from an easily-avoidable situation (missed bus, lost, forgotten PE kit etc.)

chewkw
    Free Member

Because they are “my preciousssssss …”

Yes, a £9 – £70 mobile is fine but beyond that they are spoilt brats …

globalti
    Free Member

So that our innocent-looking 13 y.o. can sell some drugs after school and bring home the cash for my Tennant’s and Mrs Gti’s voddy.

saleem
    Free Member

My 11year old just asked for a new Blackberry as all his mates have them, not happy with the two phones he has already, I followed this up with a conversation eith the ex-wife, and was told yes they’ve all got them, this was followed my 5 year old telling me he doesn’t want a Blackberry but an iPhone, well I buying neither, I’m not tight I just believe that they don’t need phones that cost hundreds of pounds.

druidh
    Free Member

Thankfully, my daughter recognises the Blackberry as the choice of the chav.

druidh
    Free Member

Anyway, shouldn’t the answer to the original question be….
    hang on….
    ….so it can become a Smart Phone?

saleem
    Free Member

So she wants an iPhone then lol,he wants the Blackberry messenger thing, I don’t know ive never used one.

AndyP
    Free Member

forgotten PE kit

playing in a pair of communal skidded-up shorts and your vest is character-building and is a key part of any child’s development.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Nicely done druidh.

restless
    Free Member

My sons primary school will confiscate a mobile phone until the parent collects it. they are not allowed and not necessary either.

My sons secondary school will give detention to any child caught using a phone during lesson time.

I rang my son once , thinking he was on break time, he wasn’t, he answered because he thought he would be in trouble if he ignored me, teacher caught him and he got lunchtime detention. 😳

GW
    Free Member

excellent! I’m sooo doing that 😈

AdamW
    Free Member

I’d dispute the ‘greater freedom’ argument. Yes, you can call your parents to say where you are etc. But most parents won’t let their children out of the house due to obviously rampant paedos, axe murderers.

Perhaps they use them when on the PS3 in one room to text their mum to bring more grub?

druidh
    Free Member

SkillWill – Member
    Nicely done druidh.

Thank you, but it looks like my nascent career as a joke writer for Christmas crackers has died an early death.

druidh
    Free Member

AdamW – Member
    most parents won’t let their children out of the house due to obviously rampant paedos, axe murderers.

Put down the Daily Mail at once!

restless
    Free Member

Perhaps they use them when on the PS3 in one room to text their mum to bring more grub?

Nearly right.
    I ring my son to ask him to make me a cup of tea, when he is in the next room 😆

br
    Free Member

Is this what you do? 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Why send a mobile phone to school?’ is closed to new replies.