Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 425 total)
  • Why our food is making us fat
  • loum
    Free Member

grum – Member
    And whatever you might think about how adults should have better personal responsibility, the constant and massive marketing of unhealthy food to children is in my opinion deeply immoral.

+1

wrecker – Member
    There are a pajillion “experts” who will all tell you different ways to achieve the same thing (this is what I was getting at a few pages ago). These experts will slant science to support their views generally. The information out there is very contradictory and confusing.

And this ^^^.
    There is very little unbiased science involved with the food industry. And actual scientific results, rather than conclusions and evaluations are very rarely available to joe public. The cross-over between science and marketing is so blurred as to be indistinguishable so the consumer can be told to buy almost anything with some “scientific” advice to tell them its “healthy”.
    The independent scientific research that is available is generally shot down or contradicted by the food industry sponsored “Science-marketing”, but importantly, it is not being discredited. This means the government will eventually be forced to take some action here as the facts are finally being uncovered and circulated. But we’re at the start of a change, that will take some time. I’m not a fan of America’s overuse of litigation, but believe it will take some court cases to enable proper change. Doctor’s used to advertise cigarettes in the same way.

philconsequence
    Free Member

the drive to be “beautiful” is just as bad as the fact that there are more obese people, the whole ‘cut’ look for blokes and ridiculously thin look for girls is building a society with massive amounts of people with an unhealthy attitude to food, whether that’s too much or too less of it.

wise words

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

there’s also the new phenomenon on the gym ” counters ” who base their workout intensity on the number of calories they are trying to burn off based on the previous day’s indulgences !!!!

Macavity
    Free Member

Robert Lustig Sugar:The Bitter Truth
    HighFructoseCornSyrup

alex222
    Free Member

too less of it.

too little, surely? ;]

Solo
    Free Member

Only if you show that they knew all the health problems at the time
    Or, to look at it another way.
    Coke replaced sugar with HFCS, without knowing or caring about the outcome, outside of making more profit.
    How responsible is that ?.
    🙂

loum.
    Good post.
    🙂

miketually
    Free Member

the drive to be “beautiful” is just as bad as the fact that there are more obese people

Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful.

miketually
    Free Member

I just ate half a kilo of food for lunch.

*burp*

deviant
    Free Member

Interesting subject….massive subject actually, people can and do make a career from nutrition, diets, etc….

Best shape i was ever in was a few years ago, aged 30 and kickboxing twice a week (2 x 2 hour long sessions), i’d eat 2 weetabix with milk for breakfast, have a sandwich at lunch, a banana mid afternoon and a simple evening meal (typically tuna and pasta or chicken and rice), alcohol only at the weekend and no sweets, crisps etc….if i went for a meal i’d always skip desert, drank plenty of water too.

Pretty spartan existence but i’ve never felt or looked better, my fitness was the best since school too….this really isnt rocket science.

A few simple pointers:

Calories are simply units of measurement, you cannot hold a calorie in your hand….it works like this: 1 gram of fat contains roughly 8 calories (of energy), 1 gram of protein has roughly 4 calories and 1 gram of sugar/carbohydrate has roughly 4 calories also.

Therefore high fat foods are calorie dense foods….that doesnt mean they’re bad though…some fat is still required for healthy body functions….it just means go easy with it as its very easy to exceed your daily calorie requirements very early in the day by eating fatty foods.

Carbohydrates are chains of sugars….essentially they are one and the same but your body will break down a simple sugar quickly (instant energy) but will have to work harder on the chains of sugars (carbohydrates) in rice for example, giving you sustained energy.

Protein is protein….bodybuilders get funny about the bio availability of the stuff and prioritise whey protein over most others, then chicken, eggs, turkey, beef etc….pork is considered poor quality but for the lay person it doesnt matter….protein in needed for tissue repair….in extremis you body will use protein for energy if it isnt getting sufficient calories from sugars and carbs first.

Excess calories (from any foodstuff – fat, sugar, doesnt matter) will be stored as adipose tissue….body fat in other words.
    If you want to lose fat then create a calorie deficit, your body will then eat into your fat reserves….easy….really really easy….but requires will power and seeing as most of us (me included) enjoy eating the it becomes a chore and we fail.

Cut back on the calorie intake too quickly and your body will go into shock and slow its metabolism down to a crawl making weight loss even harder….cut calories slowly to avoid this crash, a cup of coffee in the morning helps to get things moving too.

Cutting calories by excluding an entire foodstuff is bad news….the Atkins diet works but having no carbs in your system will leave you lethergic and seeing as your brain can only fuel on sugar alone you will likely be mentally jaded too….a mate competes in bodybuilding shows and during the last few weeks of his contest prep he cuts carbs from his diet altogether and its like talking to somebody with brain damage.

Th old expression about ‘anything in moderation’ pretty much holds true….if your diet mainly consists of sugars and you are not particularly active then cut back and add some protein instead….likewise if you eat a lot of fat cut some out and instead stick some slow burning carbs/sugars in there instead.

Basically if it looks fatty, greasy, tastes sugary, tastes salty etc then its probably junk and part of the reason most of us are overweight….trouble is these foods smell and taste good.

Dont get hung up on the sugars/carbs in fruit, yes some of them are very simple and will be metabolised almost instantly….this is no bad thing….a good burst of energy pre ride for example….plus the amount of calories in fruit is so small that you’d need to be grazing on the stuff from morning to night to get fat on fruit!

In short, take regular exercise, create a small calorie deficit, even up the ratio of carbs to protein you eat each day and reduce your fat intake….when you reach your desired weight slowly increase the carbs again until your weight remains static…simple.

emsz
    Free Member

Coke replaced sugar with HFCS, without knowing or caring about the outcome, outside of making more profit.

You don’t know that though, whether they knew or cared about what it would do

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

We’ve got used to eating more than we need.

wrecker
    Free Member

If you want to lose fat then create a calorie deficit, your body will then eat into your fat

Really? There’s some on here (and elsewhere) who disagree.

miketually
    Free Member

Deviant, can I suggest you read all the old iDiet threads, so we don’t have to rehash them all over again?

Solo will be along shortly with a video for you to watch.

🙂

mogrim

HFCS is basically sugar+water, it doesn’t strike me as unreasonable for a company to expect it to have the same outcome as the previously used ingredient.

Personally I’m more concerned about increasing portion sizes, and the tendency to stick sugar (in whatever form) into everything these days.

thomthumb
    Free Member

A few simple pointers:

you state all that as if it is fact. Can i ask what leads you to those conclusions? I am not qualified any more than i eat stuff and read stuff; but i disagree with at least 1 or 2 of those points.

FieldMarshall

but having no carbs in your system will leave you lethergic and seeing as your brain can only fuel on sugar alone you will likely be mentally jaded too….

Carbs have completely the opposite effect on me. Carbs make me tired and lethargic. Protein makes me feel energised.

Also there is some evidence to suggest that the brain works better on ketones than it does on glucose.

glenh
    Free Member

slimjim78 – Member

Yesterdays Grub-

Breakfast – several cups of black tea
    Lunch – tinned tuna, salad, loads of garden peas
    Snack – white choccie biscuit from spain (damned colleagues)
    Pre Ride hunger snack – cashew nuts, 2x chicken drumsticks, several salami slices
    Post ride meal – big bowl of Raisin Wheats with whole milk (a moment of weakness, but they were very nice none the less)

That seems like quite a small amount of food. No breakfast and no real evening meal. How long was your ride?

jota180
    Free Member

Solo will be along shortly with a video for you to watch.

You’ll be needing a comfortable seat and popcorn
    Unless you have an epiphany half way through the epic and become a devotee

Next thing you know you’ll be accosting strangers in the street to hear your great news 😀

miketually
    Free Member

You’ll be needing a comfortable seat and popcorn
    Unless you have an epiphany half way through the epic and become a devotee

Next thing you know you’ll be accosting strangers in the street to hear your great news

I think that it also
    has a strange effect upon line breaks
    making you type in what looks like
    but isn’t
    poetry

mogrim

MIKETUALLY has the cruelest post, leaving
    Poor solo out of sorts, mixing
    Information and polemic, stirring
    Dull posters with warm words.

Probably a sugar-high, bringing the poet out in me.

donsimon
    Free Member

I think
    this is about to get interesting.
    Choccy biccie anyone?

mogrim

Are they low GI biccies?

alex222
    Free Member

I prefer the term low GL in this instance

crikey
    Free Member

Has molgrips been in yet?

…and has anyone said move more, eat less to him? 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

molly on holly(day) in the states at present, and yeti banned still.

jota180
    Free Member

I think that it also
    has a strange effect upon line breaks
    making you type in what looks like
    but isn’t
    poetry

Just a shit phone

donsimon
    Free Member

Are they low GI biccies?

Who cares?
    I’m on the day off from the diet, which is confusing because it’s not really a diet, it’s a lifstyle thing. I’m on a weekly day off from my lifestyle. Which probably means it has now become a part of that said lifestyle and can’t be considered a day off at all. I can see why these threads get so long now…
    Do you want a bloody biscuit or not??? 👿

cynic-al
    Free Member

glenh – Member
    slimjim78 – Member
    Yesterdays Grub-

Breakfast – several cups of black tea
    Lunch – tinned tuna, salad, loads of garden peas
    Snack – white choccie biscuit from spain (damned colleagues)
    Pre Ride hunger snack – cashew nuts, 2x chicken drumsticks, several salami slices
    Post ride meal – big bowl of Raisin Wheats with whole milk (a moment of weakness, but they were very nice none the less)

That seems like quite a small amount of food. No breakfast and no real evening meal. How long was your ride?

Sounds like a crap diet to me.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Only 45 mins last night.
    But I did eat plenty the day before as I was at a restaurant for a family occasion, which involved chocolate cake. and creme brulee. whats a man to do?

1h30mins riding today, plus 1500m open water swim.

Todays grub

Breakfast – 3x bacon rashers + boiled egg
    Lunch – Haloumi + Onion Salad, Pint of beer (colleague leaving company)
    Snacks – none yet (does black tea count?)
    Tea – probably meat + 2 veg tonight. Spicy style.

Will probably have something carby for a snack today due to level of traning.

mogrim

Do you want a bloody biscuit or not???

How about a jaffa cake?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Sounds like a crap diet to me.

why so?
    admittedly yesterday wasn’t my finest moment, but it did contain some complex carbs, proteins, fats.. and certainly not a vast amount of sugar (but alot more than I usually consume)

anyone else? was that a particularly crap day’s food?

donsimon
    Free Member

Here you go, old chap.

Cougar

They’re not biscuits.

mogrim

Blimey, that’s not going to do my lifestyle any good.

jota180
    Free Member

pedalhead
    Free Member

With ref to the earlier brief discussion of fructose good/bad, having just watched this video & assuming this guy’s science is correct, I can see why it should be considered “bad”!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM[/video]

donsimon
    Free Member

They’re not biscuits.

Pfft! Next you’ll be telling me the iDave diet isn’t a diet either.

joao3v16
    Free Member

If you want to lose fat then create a calorie deficit, your body will then eat into your fat

Really? There’s some on here (and elsewhere) who disagree.

Probably people looking for any excuse not to change their diet

😉

Solo
    Free Member

You don’t know that though, whether they knew or cared about what it would do

Nah, you’re right.
    I just make stuff up.
    🙂

Well, best we ask Hank.

And my original point was Coke replaced sugar for HFCS as HFCS was 30 percent cheaper at the time.
    Within the context some were discussing Corporate responsibilty towards the public.

Hank:

Hank Cardello, the former head of marketing at Coca-Cola, tells me that in 1984, Coke in the US swapped from sugar to HFCS (In the UK, it continued to use sugar). As a market leader, Coke’s decision sent a message of endorsement to the rest of the industry, which quickly followed suit. There was “no downside” to HFCS, Cardello says. It was two-thirds the price of sugar, and even the risk of messing with the taste was a risk worth taking when you looked at the margin, especially as there were no apparent health risks. At that time, “obesity wasn’t even on the radar” says Cardello.

Obesity was on the radar.
    Just not at Coke a Cola Towers.

😉

Pedal head.
    Thats the exact same conclusion I came to and I think Prof Lusitg’s work is pretty sound.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Slim Jim, our resident (albeit banned) expert TSY says your diet is crap btw.

This thread isn’t the same without iMolly or TSY 😥

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 425 total)

The topic ‘Why our food is making us fat’ is closed to new replies.