• This topic has 128 replies, 72 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • Why normal women don't cycle…
  • garage-dweller

Oddly in my office of 50 there are probably more hardcore female cycle commuters than there are men with a roughly 50/50 gender split of the staff as a whole and we are not in London. The nature of our work is such that few ride every day due to business travel needs but the weather doesnt seem to drive it.. I reckon we have 10-15% of staff who ride quite often.

hels
    Free Member

I appear to have gone back in time to 1970, and I didn’t even see the portal opening.

crazy-legs

Bike shops really are, on the whole, unreconstructed 70s forgotten worlds.

I found the opposite. So many couples used to come in and there were two options:
    guy would go for top end model, spend hours choosing, trying out etc and after he’d decided he’d then say “oh and she [gestures to bored looking partner] wants something for about £300” and he’d then proceed to dominate the conversation saying that “she” would like this that and the other without ever once asking her. The sale would take 10 mins once he’d decided what “she” wanted.

other option is that they’d both buy identical bikes just in different sizes. Again, usually dominated by the guy.

I remember one occasion where a couple came in, bloke opened conversation with “She needs a helmet” and then attempted to dominate the conversation while I was trying to talk to her. In the end he got really narked and went off to browse the rest of the shop but when he came back he made it very plain that he didn’t like me talking to “his” girl. 🙄

jackthedog
    Free Member

adjustablewench
    As for the hair and beauty aspect you’d be surprised where you find showers. Public showers in Sheffield city center with hair driers are only 20p.

Where is this?

thx1138
    Free Member

I’ve noticed that there seems to be an awful lot more female cyclists in London these days, in fact I was wondering if women now outnumber men on bikes, in certain areas. And I know more women who regularly cycle than men.

Swinging by the cliched “went to a bike shop with man and got ignored” shoulder chipper.

Bike shops are generally a bit crap for women, although not as bad as local DIY/building places, garages etc. rarely any women working in them, and even when there are, they often have to refer to a male colleague for certain information. Women are often patronised and bullshitted to. Quite often by cocky, arrogant young men trying to ‘impress the ladeez’. Cycle shops are an almost exclusively male environment, with little more than a slight concession for women (women’s clothing and bikes pushed away in a small corner of the shop). And of course there’s the ‘she doesn’t know anything so let’s just see how much money we can get out of her’ type scenario: my wife took her bike in to have a simple assesment done on something, and was advised to have £X worth of work done. I took the same bike in a few days later, and surprise surprise; the estimate was about a 3rd of the original quote (because I know a little more than she does and had a rough idea of what needed to be done). And it was the same assistant serving us. 😆

Saying that; more women need to learn how to sort their own bikes out better; too many just leave it to a bloke to sort out. Learn how to fix it and you won’t be ripped off.

MrAgreeable

There’s one big reason that people (male or female) in the UK don’t cycle, and that’s because it doesn’t feel safe.

To a lesser extent there’s the feeling that cycling is odd, eccentric, and requires a degree of buy-in beyond simply owning a bike. But this all comes from the root cause of cycling being perceived as a dangerous extreme sport for fit blokes.

Fear of Cycling

It’s all very well saying “show images of women cycling”, or “tell them that helmet hair doesn’t matter” but that’s all that many local authorities do. People see through this, especially outside London, Cambridge or Bristol, where you’ll be lucky to see a couple of cyclists a day, let alone a “fashionista on a Pashley”

Truth and propaganda

klumpy
    Free Member

Why would the existence of men in lycra put women off cycling?
    The existence of men who wear fake aviators, plastic Ferrari paddock jackets, and string backed gloves doesn’t put them off driving.
    Maybe they think those men inlycra are women that cycling has “done something” to?

OTIO is leaving now. 😆

MrAgreeable

The existence of men who wear fake aviators, plastic Ferrari paddock jackets, and string backed gloves doesn’t put them off driving.

Initially it probably did. Then everyone cottoned on to the fact that cars are an easy, safe way of getting around, picking up the shopping, dropping the kids off at school and what have you. Manufacturers made them with proper sized boots, child seats, make-up mirrors and flower holders in the dashboard and it became “normal”.

Walk into a bike shop and look at what proportion of the bikes they sell are aimed at people who want to get around in comfort while carrying a bit of stuff, and how many are skinny, uncomfortable, don’t take a rack, and are aimed at people who want to get a Gold time in their next sportive.

That said, if all shops sold were Pashleys there would be very little change in the number of people cycling in the UK, as it’s the ones who want to go fast and keep fit who are currently making up most of the (meagre) numbers.

clubber
    Free Member

I think you mean KOM on Strava 😉

MrAgreeable

Or build up to doing a “metric century” [insert other Fred-eotype of choice].

MrSmith
    Free Member

No such thing as ‘normal women’ some despise the pink girly upright rain-cape wearing flowery side that gets pushed upon them in a patronising ‘here you go love, don’t be scared now there will be a man there to catch you when you fall’ and prefer to be treated equally and kick a few overinflated male ego’s while they are at it. Some just want to get on a bike without any agenda, feeling they are being singled out for special treatment or little flowers embroidered on their cycling jersey.
    Create an better environment and change the ‘car is king’ attitude and you might get somewhere.
    Good luck with that, it’s going to take decades or a severe oil crisis.

clubber
    Free Member

“metric century” 🙂 Hadn’t heard that one!

alwillis

My mrs seems to take pride in racing men if there aren’t enough ladies for a separate race.

One particular middle aged IT manager (stereotype- he may not actually be in IT) could be heard muttering profanities under his breath (at himself not her!) as he was overtaken on a climb by said sporty young lady!

However the points about it not being about racing are equally valid. Personally I think it requires a wholesale overhaul of cycling from shops, events, manufacturers, race organisers etc to encourage more women to ride. Chicken and egg hits the nail on the head though.

irelanst
    Free Member

Women in general don’t do as much sport as men, so why would anyone expect cycling to be different?

MrAgreeable

That article’s not about cycling as a sport.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Women in general don’t do as much sport as men, so why would anyone expect cycling to be different?

Sport or physical activity?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

@jackthedog

The showers arebin the public loos in the town hall, I used them for quite a while when I changed jobs as my new building didnt have showers.

Originally the toilets opened at 8.30 which was fine, then they moved it to 9. I complained via the local cycling group (I want to say ride sheffield but not sure if it was them). They changed the start time back to 8.30.

After a while the toilet attandant started giving me receipts for my 20p – I presume working out the cost effectiveness of the earlier opening.

So in a nutshell not sure what time they are open now, but so infuriating as if they promoted the facility it would be a real asset

maxtorque

I think in general less women cycle than men, because as kids the same is also true!

Everyone (boy/girl) cycles from when they first learn (say at 4-6 yo) for a few years, then suddenly, probably around 10, the girls stop cycling. At that point the boys are always messing around on bikes with their friends, but “growing up” hits the girls first, and they stop messing around with their mates on bikes. Hence, chances are a women in here mid 20’s probably hasn’t ridden a bike for 15 years! Why would she start now? For the vast majority of women getting into a sport for the first time, the social element is important, hence the prevalence of indoors/gym based classes etc. The social aspect of biking (and especially mountain biking) is underplayed and not obvious, and in fact, i bet most women see MTB as a “solo” sport, where at best you compete against another solo rider, rather than just ride WITH them !

irelanst
    Free Member

That article’s not about cycling as a sport.

Cycling in the UK is seen as a sport though, the only people in the UK that I know who ride their bikes are considered ‘cyclists’. It’s not like in Holland or Denmark where everyone rides bikes as transport but only the ‘cyclists’ get on the lycra and go out for a ride on a Sunday.

People just don’t see cycling as a viable form of transport, instead it’s considered a hobby or sport.

Sport or physical activity?

Sport – although to be fair I don’t know what that constitutes, remember reading some figures which showed that men participated in sport more than women by approximately 3:1 ratio.

MrAgreeable

People just don’t see cycling as a viable form of transport, instead it’s considered a hobby or sport.

I’d completely agree with this, but that’s not the same as saying “cycling is a sport” and “Women don’t do as much sport as men”. Both very questionable statements. Where do you draw the line – running, going to the gym, Zumba?

Incidentally I’d probably be classed as a “sport” cyclist – I have a bronze BC membership and do a few races a year – but the vast majority of my riding is just getting from A to B.

MrAgreeable

Create an better environment and change the ‘car is king’ attitude and you might get somewhere.

This is the best comment on the thread so far. Ditto for the numbers of children cycling, or the numbers of people cycling generally.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Good article.

I’m not female (last time I checked) but a summary of the article seems to be that women are put off cycling because it isnt as easy to ‘do’ as driving, or even public transport. Its more hassle therefore never going to be a viable alternative to a car for many of them.

You know what, they are right. Cycling isnt as easy as a car.. a certain amount of planning is always needed when cycling is going to be transport.

The core problem is that our country’s culture isnt to ride bikes, few of us are brought up riding to school with parents, we dont cycle into town to meet friends, we dont use the bike as transport and neither did our parents. The mindset is wrong.

What we should be doing is in parallel to fixing all the logistics: showers, safer routes, better bike security, different bikes… etc. We need to bring about a cultural shift from a young age that biking is a viable form of transport.

Step One: get mothers to take their kids to school on bikes, reduce cars on the school run!

garage-dweller

^^^^ that (mr agree able)

Not helped by piss poor road design that facilitates conflict, lack of cycling facilities and under resource (and in my view) consequentially wrongly focussed (or do i mean just not enough) roads policing means unless you are an enthusiast it is not as appealing.

Edit: i am not lambasting the police’s efforts by the way. I expect You cannot achieve on current budgets what needs doing to Britains roads such as targeted campaigns on phone users, aggressive and careless driving and people who think the lane markings and highway code are optional. In practice these are every bit as important as speeding but are considerably harder and expensive to automate the policing of as they require officers in cars and a decent fixed penalty regime.

irelanst
    Free Member

Both very questionable statements.

I don’t think either are questionable, more people in the UK would see cycling as a sport as opposed to a form of transport. The more men do sport than women is certainly not a questionable statement, it’s backed up by Sport Englands published figures.

Where do you draw the line – running, going to the gym, Zumba?

the question asked was “Have you participated in sessions of at least moderate intensity for at least 30 minutes” so would encompass gym classes.

boltonjon

My favorite comment so far

Absolute shittte the real reason is it messes up their hair and makeup. Without these two things they are hideous creatures. Would your missus leave the House without makeup on? No way, mine wouldn’t.. they scare little kids.

Certainly made me chuckle! 😀

ebygomm
    Free Member

it’s backed up by Sport Englands published figures

If you look up how Sport England produce their figures, e.g. the active people survey, you might not use Sport Englands figures to back up anything!

hels
    Free Member

And stop valuing/judging women for “turning up to work meetings looking neat and tidy” more than men.

And don’t buy bike products that drape semi-naked women over bike parts in their advertisements. That’s you Mr Marzocchi !

Aristotle
    Free Member

Practical bikes are the way forward, but practical bikes don’t look like they could take on the Tour de France, the world Downhill championships …or have an aggressive radiator grille/do a quick lap of Oulton Park on the way home.

Commuting on a bike is probably more comfortable than urban commuting in a harshly-sprung and over-tyred German saloon.

My manifesto:
    Folding bikes and Roadster Bikes for all!

irelanst
    Free Member

If you look up how Sport England produce their figures, e.g. the active people survey, you might not use Sport Englands figures to back up anything!

You have figures to the contrary?

ebygomm
    Free Member

I have an issue with their methodology.

Although I reckon most forum posters are probably Philip’s

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OMG. Actually, OMG. The comments on that article…

This is why I don’t read the Telegraph, and why I want to leave the UK where we’re just
    so bloody snooty .

Also –
    http://www.gazellebicycles.co.uk/
    Much nicer than a Pashley

cinnamon_girl

Lolz @ this thread.

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s backed up by Sport Englands published figures

the trouble with those figures is how they are collated and used plus the agenda behind them.
    take a ‘sky-ride’ for example. give them a free bib and traffic free plod near some ice-cream and a park. bang you now have thousands of new cyclists that are counted/noted and form part of the figures to show how cycling is growing and new funding can be allocated for the next year. except a lot of those bikes get put back into the shed to rust for another year. (isn’t the average yearly distance cycled per bike in the u.k. something like 7miles? that’s a bank-holiday pootle along a dogshite strewn canal towpath)

it’s a shame the 3 already overstretched go-ride coaches in london are going to loose their jobs in a few months time because of funding. this when it’s all talk about ‘legacy’ after the olympics. so no after-school clubs or term time cycling activity or support for cycling clubs with juniors. it may be ‘sport’ not ‘riding in traffic’ but half these schoolchildren are female and the cyclists of the future.

emsz
    Free Member

I’m normal, I cycle commute, but rainy its a bit shit and I probably will get the bus, and as I have just my chameleon, skirts are out, hate helmets, won’t wear one, and I suppose I’m a bit hair and make-up, but that’s what waterproof mascara is for after al!!

Bike shops don’t help themselves, I don’t think they understand how girls like to shop. I want to be treated properly, you can start by employing some-one who knows about womens stuff for a start! I don’t mind getting dirty on weekend mountain bike rides, I can do without the patronising and ‘helpful and motivational’ comments from some blokes, and I can do without the nearly naked girls fondling bike bits like sex toys in adverts!! Have a look at Rapha to see how to do it right.

Ohh, That’s a bit ranty!! sorry 😆

MrAgreeable

We need to show we understand that issues like showering and changing, helmet hair, transporting makeup and cosmetics to and from work and having somewhere to plug in a hairdryer aren’t just superficial ‘vanity’ but really do matter to many women

Srsly?

Also depressing to see the showers excuse wheeled out again. I used to work with a woman who cycled into work, when asked by a colleague whether she used the shower she replied “No, I just stink” (she didn’t).

http://bamboobadger.blogspot.com/2008/10/red-herring-in-shower.html

cinnamon_girl

I’ll defend my former lbs whom I used for donkeys years. Never patronised me, always helpful with answering my bimbo questions. Supported me when I found myself organising a couple of SheCycles Swinley Forest ladies rides – tea, cakes and shopping discount. 8)

Organised demo bikes for me, gave honest advice, really what more could you ask for!

marka.
    Free Member

It’s refreshing to see an article on getting women to cycle more actually written by a woman.

For that reason I’m not going to question her statements about transporting makeup and hair drying facilities.

MrAgreeable

Yes… but the countries with the highest levels of cycling (and more of a balance of men and women) haven’t got there by giving them showers, hair-dryers, make-up bags or designer hi-viz. It takes root and branch change in the way streets are laid out, ending the dominance of motor traffic over bikes and pedestrians.

To put it another way, you probably wouldn’t go and work in a coal mine even if they gave you your own changing room. That wouldn’t change the fact that it’s generally considered an unpleasant, dangerous environment.

It’s annoying to see yet another article about cycling not just ignoring the elephant in the room, but even denying its existence.

missnotax
    Free Member

Hmmm. *and breathe*….

This is all one massive soap-box subject for me.

I think a large reason that more women don’t get on bikes (of any descripton) is that there aren’t enough REAL female role models or coverage of women riding bikes in the cycling media. I think generally women have more of a ‘safety in numbers’ way of thinking – it’s nice to know others are doing the same thing.

It is improving, but to me the whole thing becomes a self-perpetuating cycle – not really any women in mags / press – women think they might like cycling but don’t see any pics of other women doing it – women therefore think ‘it’s not for me’ – mags / press don’t cover women because not enough participate in it etc etc…..

I think there are actually a lot of ladies that want to commute / road ride / mtb but there just isn’t the coverage / support to nurture that initial spark. It is improving through initiatives like Breeze (like a female only Skyride) and ladies only events etc but it’s slow going.

And I think i’m mostly normal…

cinnamon_girl

And whilst I’m on my soapbox …

I didn’t start riding until my late 30’s and I managed to go into bike shops all on my own and, shock horror, managed to buy a bike or two without consulting the ex, who didn’t ride anyway.

Have managed to take myself all over the country, by myself, and I’ve survived. Didn’t need anybody to hold my hand! Here I am, in my 50s and still having fun. 🙂

The difference was that I really wanted to ride and was determined enough to do it.

Are people really so helpless??!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Why normal women don't cycle…’ is closed to new replies.