Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • why is my baby still crying…?!
  • DrP

3 weeks old.. I’ve tried the usual changing/feeding/shaking/winding/cuddling….

Correct answer wins a years supply of soiled nappies..

DrP

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Not enough brandy in its diet

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Take them for a drive. Always worked for me with our first. I must have clocked up an extra 10k miles a year in her first year! Also don’t be afraid to leave them crying for a while – 10 to 20 mins at a time. The fact you might be attending to them immediately might be causing them to continue crying. Controlled crying worked for us after 6 months of almost constant crying – after 2 weeks she settled down to a nice routine of sleeps and saved our sanity! I wish we’d done it earlier.

Thankfully our second was a sleeper from the word go.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hates Christmas?

yunki
    Free Member

Our last one had colic and cried for the first six months

tymbian
    Free Member

Do the hoovering…

You’ll not hear it and the kid’ll go to sleep…or its ill. Take temperature.

Father of five here..

Pook

Typical parenting advice coming up i.e. at odds with what someone else days…. CC didn’t work for us. Driving did though. I had a lovely little 20mile loop I did quite regularly

DrP

It might be the Christmas thing.. Didn’t get her any presents and now she’s letting us know about it.
    Will get a Ds light straight away..

DrP

wobbliscott
    Free Member

All babies are different and what works for one won’t work for the other. My two are polar opposites, and still are 5 years down the line.

Another piece of advice i’d offer is to immediately throw away all the baby books and manuals you’re wife/partner may have collected and become obsessed over. They caused my wife no end of stress and upset until I eventually chucked them and we found our own way through. Babies survive and thrive despite us, not because of us.

mintimperial

3 weeks old.

There’s your answer, quite probably. Some babies just cry, lots. We had one of those, he turned out fine.

Another piece of advice i’d offer is to immediately throw away all the baby books and manuals you’re wife/partner may have collected and become obsessed over. They caused my wife no end of stress and upset until I eventually chucked them and we found our own way through. Babies survive and thrive despite us, not because of us.

This is the best bit of advice on childcare you will ever receive. Same goes for unsolicited advice from strangers and even most well meaning non-medical professionals.

qwerty
    Free Member

Has she seen your 29er?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Both of ours didn’t seem to be too fussed and our youngest still doesnt cry much. Breast fed, co-sleeping. No “routine”. Works for us.

Probs just a phase and he/she’ll get throught it. You will too.

edhornby

Try a walk, stick her in the pram, go for a brew or the shop for a change of scenery and fresh air

DrP

Yeah, I know!
    It was in jest really..
    Her older brother was a pain too..
    We breed criers it seems!

DrP

vickypea
    Free Member

Maybe colic? Both of mine cried a lot at that age. I took them for 2 hour walks in the pram every day. That kept them happy! The youngest one also liked it when I put on some salsa music and danced with him.

tillydog
    Free Member

Our 1st turned out to be dairy intolerant(2nd hand via breast milk) and was wonderfully placid once we’d sussed this out. We thought that this may have been the answer when our 2nd cried incessantly, but it wasn’t. She was just cross, and it took 6 months for her to be “normal”.

hoodoo
    Free Member
    Xylene
    Free Member

Wear ear plugs – not a **** thing, but when you have a crying baby and your stress levels are rising quickly. you are getting snappy with each other stressing as to why the kids is crying.

I found a pair of earplugs took the worst of the crying away, and made it bareable to walk around with our daughter for hours.

Saying that – we drove the car once, pushed the pram a few times, and taht was about it, other wise she slept.

DrP

I’m a big believer of the “if there’s nothing medically wrong, babies still just cry”!

Our first had ‘colic’, though perhaps this is just a medical term for a crying baby…

DtP

chewkw
    Free Member

If all logics failed then however improbable the next possibility is can be considered logical. i.e. you may have a ghost in your house befriending little ones.

🙄

richmars

Tried a dummy?
    Nothing wrong with one if used only when needed.

parkesie
    Free Member

Its faulty take it back.

Junkyard
    Free Member

We breed criers it seems!

crosses fingers they grow up to be internet whingers 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

20s in

I have spent too long today watching Monkey Dust on Youtube

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KlTbbZjn-E[/video]

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

I know why your babies crying but im not telling you as i dont want the years supply of dirty nappies 8)

Klunk
    Free Member

pram ride always worked for us it was one of those big wheeled silver cross jobbies

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Driving can be dicey if they are only 3 weeks, when they do go to sleep you end up trying to check if they are ok whilst driving. A tight coorie in the knook of your arm and rocking can work, try rocking faster than you might think and hum a tune as well.

cloudnine
    Free Member

My money is on wind. Have a very good read up on winding techniques.
    There’s a really good one where you sit the little one up with your hand across their chest and sort of around their neck to support their head. Get them sat really upright and with your other hand pat their back.

bikeytom
    Free Member

7 times out of 10 for us with our 9 week old it’s the room temperature that sets him off. We have a wood burner and he doesn’t like getting too hot.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Does it have any hair? You know you’ve got to keep ’em shaved for the first year right?

Sandwich

Cured by application of the mark one cushion for 3 minutes 😈

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Crying baby? Give it someone else for half an hour while you regain your sanity 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

I blame the parents! 😡

marky29er
    Free Member

Hit it in the face with a shovel, or get the wife to sort it out.
    Father of none here.

project
    Free Member

Unless the baby was previously owned, you should be living with the female who gave birth to the child, its her problem,, men only need to be involved when child is old enough to talk and ride a bike.

Strangely a vacumm cleaner being left on makes them sleep.A customer had a noisy baby, crying repeatedly the 4 times we worked in house, switch on our vacumm cleaner to clean up before we left and little lad fell to sleep after a few minutes, lady chuffed to bits, she left vacumm on outside babys room for a hour, and melted the carpet and drive belt, always keep an eye on hoover when used for sleep inducement.

TimP
    Free Member

Maybe it doesn’t like the noise of you ripping out a fireplace?

ojom
    Free Member

Have you tried the Tiger in the tree hold? Works wonders on our 11 week old.

To be fair though she has been a total dream so far. We are very lucky! I reckon its us being super calm and stuff that helps though.

docgeoffyjones

+1 for tiger in the tree.
    My experience crying in new babies is nearly a wind thing apart from when you accidentally bump their head on a door frame.

father of 3 children all having dietary reflux

DickBarton

Hungry?

acidchunks

Could just be pissed off because it’s no longer in a nice cosy womb.

Shhhing worked quite well in calming down our screaming little monkey when she was about that age. As did sticking on some music and and dancing around holding her.

This was probably the most useful thing we read… http://www.babycenter.com/0_harvey-karps-happiest-baby-method-for-baby-sleep-and-soothin_10373838.bc

If the crying goes on for days then take them down the docs, ours had reflux which is quite common but once treated properly doesn’t cause too much bother.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘why is my baby still crying…?!’ is closed to new replies.