Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Why does everyone think we've had a crap summer?
  • MadPierre

Keep hearing and reading that summer 2011 was crap, summer has finally arrived in September etc, etc.

It has been the driest summer since (the one all us old gits remember) 1976!

Sure if your idea of a good summer is stripping down to your thong and topping up the skin cancer then it might not have been great but for riding bikes off road in the UK it’s been ace. I live in an area where normally the slightest hint of rain makes everything unridable and I’ve done more local riding than any year I can remember. It’s still dry and dusty!

Short memories? Weird concept of a good summer? Pessimistic buggers? What do you reckon?

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Pessimistic buggers I’d say. Not been the hottest of summers but it’s been dry so I’ve had no complaints with it.

donsimon
    Free Member

Because it’s 25ºC and described as hot. 🙄

ac282

29 °C here. Hot enogh for me.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Because they have different weather in different parts of the country?

Its has been rubbish in the south lakes this year. Very few HOT days, mostly its been cool and never more than a few days without rain. Windermere is pretty full for the time of year.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Granted its been lacking in precipitaion, but its been lacking in heat too.

mildred

Because it has been – great Spring, geat Autumn but crap summer. Grey drizzly, not particularly warm. Also, 2006 was by far the best since 1976.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Not here it hasn’t, if I could send some your way I would!!

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

rained everyday in august in scotland…..very poor hence ive got lots of bikes left… 👿

binners

The north west has just been constantly dull, overcast and grey all ‘summer’

trailmonkey

very dry summer here in south devon. not exactly sunny, more grey and sticky.

can’t think of a single wet ride since last winter and i ride every weekend at least.

bigyinn
    Free Member

binners – Member

A good season in the NW then.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Been on the sick coming up to four months now( long story) so because I’ve been at home all summer and not at work I’ve noticed the weather quite a bit. Imo were I live near Preston it’s been quite nice. Although august was a bit of a washout.

Duggan

Completely subjective but it always seems to me that Summer starts well (May/June time) and then July and August are a damp squib and then everyone moans because they only remember the last couple of weeks/months

uplink
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve had a LOVELY summer!

But then I do live darn sarf, Hampshire don’t you know?
    But even when we did our Lakes/Dales coast to coast we came back with sunburn and only got one damp, drizzly day out of 13!
    I’ve got a great tan, entirely from the UK, this year. 🙂

chugg08

East Lothian has been pants during the day but has brightened up most evenings. Perfect when you’re stuck in the office during the day and want to get out on the bike at night

Reckon the kids have been at the beach more this summer than any time in the last 5.

All in all a good suummer by my reckoning 😀

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

yup im in the middle of that blue patch…

hh45
    Free Member

Officially (Met Service) say its been unusually cool and dry, referring to the southern half of England. Spring was nice and dry and good but July and August where a washout with my local woods in Wilts / Dorset a total mudfest in August – as bad as mid winter whereas in August 2010 they were dusty dry.

regarding the temperature there have been fewer than normal chances to eat outside, sun bathe and so on. my bro is a dairy farmer and hes been chuffed to bits with all the grass and thats a clear sign of damper conditions. Plus neighbouring arable farmers had a late, wet, messy harvest so hard to argue really re Dorset / Wilts.

grum
    Free Member

binners – Member

You forgot blowing a gale.

phiiiiil

Since Spring we as a household have used far more water keeping plants in the garden alive than on ourselves – it’s just not really rained very much since I can’t remember when here in the Midlands. We’ve had a few wet spells here and there but they’ve lasted a few days or so with weeks of mostly dry weather either side.

Cannock Chase is bone dry – even the twisty trails in the trees have dried out, and they NEVER dry out!

phiiiiil

You forgot blowing a gale.

‘Tis true… it’s been bone dry but I’ve had WAY over my quota of windy commutes!

ebygomm
    Free Member

Do you live in Lincolnshire?

My dad seemed to think it was a good summer.

Here it was dull, overcast and not very warm.

April was great though

chickenman

That chart’s facinating: The Western Isles has clearly had a stoater of a summer, particularly the interesting side of Lewis and the Uists. Not actually that unusual..if only you could rely on it! 😉

excitable1
    Free Member

Up North it’s been shite, shite, shite !

In the Lakes the top of High Street was drier in March than it was in August. The Peak District has had black peat (usually goes to fast dusty sand in the summer) all year round, and North Wales has seen rivers bursting their banks in June.

I’ve had to wear my jacket throughout August and wore my bloody tights in July.

In contrast I do know the East and South have had very dry weather because I’m sick to death of hearing the bloody farmers moan moan moan about it on the news every other week.

The reservoirs up here are all full and if you go round the edge of the Lakes (in the Lakes) the water’s up around the feet of some of the Lake side benches.

Going to Snowdon tomorrow and just checked the forecast… guess what f-in rain & cloud !!! Even our Indian Summer is shite up North….. but isn’t the riding sooooooooo much better than most anywhere else. Guess you can’t have it all 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think it’s been a good summer (even here in SW Scotland) not a belter by any means, but I’ve ridden loads and spent lots of time outside with Mrs Nobeer, and princess Nobeer. That equals a good summer.

It’s what you make of it, unfortunately it seems a very British trait to moan and mourn about weather.

faaz
    Free Member

I get fed up with people saying the instant it rains..

“OH RAIN AGAIN”

and

“TYPICAL BRITISH WEATHER”

it’s like… hang on… ok it hasn’t been 40 degrees but it hasn’t rained for 2 weeks now!

It genuinely does not rain that often!! 1 in every 10 days is what I heard…

nick1962
    Free Member

Having moved from “rainy” Manchester to Glasgow 3 years ago I can confidently confirm that the weather here is worse than anything I have ever experienced.On my regular trips to Manchester I do notice the better weather and the sun always seems to shine once I get passed the Lakes.No summer to speak of so far in those 3 years and the new tent I bought just before I moved up here is now gathering dust. Only been used twice once for a constant 48 hour July deluge and the last time a 24 hour June deluge with gales thrown in for good measure.
    It seems to be constantly wet and grey in Glasgow though I have noticed that on my frequent trips to Peebles the weather seems much better.
    Raining at the moment btw 😥

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Does nobody remember 2007 and 2008 and the August floods?

deviant
    Free Member

It was crap.

Not helped by April and May being very good indeed, i went on a work placement at the end of May for 8 weeks, the placement was Mon-Fri 9-5, i though i would miss most of the summer but it didnt seem to happen….there were warm humid days but the cloud never seemed to clear and hanging washing in the morning was a complete lottery….in the end i just gave up and dried clothes in the house.

The last week is what a summer should be, clear skies, sun shining and 25+ degree heat….beautiful and exactly what we had in April/May….because such nice weather has sandwiched the underwhelming summer i think its fair to describe the summer as crap.

nick1962
    Free Member

BBC Weather forecast for Scotland…..rain …….. clearing by Wednesday
    Temp.12 degrees. My wife just phoned from London…Hot as hell!
    The other north /south divide

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Officially (Met Service) say its been unusually cool and dry

I agree

brack
    Free Member

Because we are an island of moaning feckers who have the characteristics of sheep when it comes to having an opinion!

I have had a bloody great summer as have all my past 40!

Wind= windsurfing
    Sun = bike/ surf/ run
    Wind and rain = any of the above 

Love it!!

MoreCashThanDash

Discussing this with a mate last week and we could only remember 3 wet or muddy rides since the April drought, and two of them were last week!

Quite nice here in Derbyshire……..

TheBrick
    Free Member

Weird concept of a good summer? Pessimistic buggers?

These two I’d say, that and being told what to think by the papers having some sort of false memories that summer were long with weeks on end with out rain and bright sun.

don simon – Member
    Because it’s 25ºC and described as hot.

This is the UK, 25 deg is hot, is a very top exceptional temperature, but it is hot.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Move south then!!!!!

jam-bo

nick1962 – Member

I’ve just spent 4 days in Aberdeen. It was beautiful weather. I was pleasantly surprised.

nick1962
    Free Member

Think positive,no riding in the Alps,Canada,US and lots of other MTB honeypots during winter and through much of autumn and spring.At least the UK as a whole has all year round riding…albeit a bit wet and muddy.

iainc

nick1962 – Member

Posted 2 hours ago #Report-Post

yep, trailrakers are our summer tyres here 😀

z1ppy

bigyinn – Member

I can live with mild temperatures, and fantastically dry trails personnally. Been an ace summer I reckon, though have heard futher norf has suffered. Bigyinn, ain’t you K’ford way, it’s been lovely locally!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Why does everyone think we've had a crap summer?’ is closed to new replies.