Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Why do…
  • t-p26
    Free Member

Some people say:” I`ve bust this/that” whats the strongest (usually quite expensive) part I can get to do the job..

When they could either, try and be more skillful OR spend as much on tuition and be taught how to be less cack handed out on the trail. Is it really bragworthy to tell the world “Actually, I`m shite on a bike”??

xiphon
    Free Member

Depends on what they’re doing….

The only way they might become ‘more skillful’ is by practice, no tuition. And with practice comes failure (often bike parts)

deanfbm
    Free Member

Im with xiphon, it’s when you’re learning/out of control stuff breaks.

But generally, yea, the better you are, the smoother you ride, you can also blag your way out of trouble more often when stuff does go wrong.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I seemed to go through a bimodal curve.

Started off breaking nothing as I wasn’t really riding anything that rough.
    Broke cheep stuff.
    Didn’t break expensive stuff.
    Got faster and broke expensive stuff.
    I’ve now settled ito a fairly constant level of just breaking things.

svalgis
    Free Member

Maybe all of them aren’t bragging but simply accepting that they give their stuff a bit of a beating and therefore want something as strong as possible?

Northwind

Ah yeah, only bad riders break things? Send this man on a skills course forthwith!

richen987
    Free Member

^^ an obvious case of “all the gear, no idea” 😉

legend
    Free Member

He did that 2 races in a row, poor component choice 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OP – you have heard of ‘error’ and ‘mistakes’ I take it?
    🙄

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Buy cheep, buy twice is just the same as buy weak, buy twice. Only soempeople can’t afford to trash ‘AM’ bits everytime they go on an uplift day at a DH track so prefer to buy the stronger components? Or replace the AM/DH with XC/AM, or any other niche’s.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I get your point,

But there is always the unexpected, a pot hole, log in the way. Something even the best rider can’t avoid.

Also there are people who just ride bikes for riding bikes sake, don’t care about getting good at it, just enjoy it. Like most of us on here.

Freester

I am what you may class as a Clydesdale. Most of my stuff breaks through wear and tear. Not a big stack. My stuff breaks because I ride, alot, in sh***y conditions.

So when something does break, I want to replace, and upgrade to something that might have chance of lasting longer than the bit I broke.

So when something wears out does that put me in your ‘I’m shite on a bike’ category?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I broke two front wheels in 6 months by stuffing my bike into trees. So I bought a silly strong front wheel and have not done it since. (am on sensible wheels again now)

Tonylem
    Free Member

^ that’s the day I beat Mr Atherton down Fort William 😀

freeagent
    Free Member

I broke a few bits when I first bought my MTB – was a combination of weak components and poor riding/mechanical sympathy.
    for each item that failed, I replaced it with a stronger/better variant.

As an example – I bent two chainrings and trashed the BB on a cheapie Truvativ 5D chainset – I replaced it with SLX AM (double and bash) which has been faultless…

I’ve now reached a plateau where I don’t seem to be breaking so much, however my riding has improved along with the components.

Is it me or the bike? you decide…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Why do…’ is closed to new replies.