Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Why do roadies bother with QR?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just been watching a front wheel change on the tour, took about 2x as long to sort out the QR as it would to thread up a bolt. Must be time to ditch this old crap 😉

midlifecrashes

Tsk, you’ll have them riding tubeless next.

JoB
    Free Member

it’s because they’re not allowed to file off the Lawyers Lips now

growinglad
    Free Member

I said it was a slippery slope to the devil when they started using Pneumatic tyres.

slowjo
    Free Member

They might have the same issues with the lawyer tabs surely. IIRC they used to file them off but UCI banned it.

Anyway, be careful. Someone will come along soon claiming this is a spoiler. They’ll have been watching coverage with great anticipation of seeing a front wheel change, and now you have gone and ruined it!

Beaten to it….damn!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sorry to clarify, it’s from last weeks stage and way before Lance smashed them up the hill on the motorbike.

slowjo
    Free Member

I’m surprised those tacky betting ads haven’t been posting odds of someone falling off, getting a puncture (front OR back wheel), the breakaway succeeding, first up a climb etc jut like they did on the World Cup.

bluebird
    Free Member

took about 2x as long to sort out the QR as it would to thread up a bolt.

I’m not sure either is any faster, but they do seem quite poor at these basic tasks given they are the best in the world.

g123456
    Free Member

Wing nuts

TiRed

DT RWS ftw. Very good for front wheels, annoying on the rear.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

‘Wing nuts’

Wow, I remember my old Peugeot road bike had wing nuts! They made a right mess of my school mates spokes when would try and cut each other up on our commute in.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m not sure either is any faster, but they do seem quite poor at these basic tasks given they are the best in the world.

It’s because they always do it with the bike upright – if they turned it upside down, it’d be much easier.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    Spoiler for emoved

I reckon somebody tried that the day before yesterday 🙂

wwaswas

Wing nuts

You can get some cream for that.

avdave2

It’s because they always do it with the bike upright – if they turned it upside down, it’d be much easier.

No no no , front wheels bike right way up rear wheels bike upside down, anything else is just wrong! 🙂

getonyourbike
    Free Member

It’s alright. It won’t be long before disc brakes and thru axles are standard on road bikes. I give it a year and a half, max. 😉

slowjo
    Free Member

Fine, but what if one rider in a team wants 140s on the front and someone else wants 160s and the next guy wants 180s?

Not such a rapid wheel change then. 👿

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s road so we will have a new standard, 12.5mm bolt through and 152mm discs only.

Lifer
    Free Member

180s on the road?

g123456
    Free Member

So wing nuts would make working through the bunch fun when you start buzzing wheels.

or a battery drill with 13mm socket for the F1 style wheel nut changes probs quicker if one side was a fixed nut.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

That is precisely where they came in to their own g. I’d forgotten all about those rides until I saw your reference. There was about 8 of us from the same bunch of roads that would cycle to school about 5 miles away. It got uber competitive. Cut a mate up into the back of a parked car once! Ah, good times.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

It’s funny I’ve seen countless amounts of frothage ref through axles and disc brakes on road bikes when talking about speed of wheel changes, I reckon I could change front and back wheels on my Maxle’d full susser quicker than I could do a back on my road bike. Quite happily take a what, 5-10 mm Maxle?

njee20
    Free Member

No no no , front wheels bike right way up rear wheels bike upside down, anything else is just wrong!

I was kidding, there was a stupidly long thread about it. Bike right way up. Anything else is retarded.

or a battery drill with 13mm socket for the F1 style wheel nut changes probs quicker if one side was a fixed nut.

Pretty common in XC racing to have an allen key thru-axle with a bit on a cordless drill for quick changes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

😮

I was kidding, there was a stupidly long thread about it. Bike right way up. Anything else is retarded.

Phew! I’d have a heart attack if someone turned a bike upside down during the tour.

wingnuts

Someone called?

avdave2

Yes I was aware you were and of the thread despite myself being 50% retarded.

aracer
    Free Member

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Why do roadies bother with QR?’ is closed to new replies.