• This topic has 45 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Why didn’t the police give chase?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve just watched a marked BMW deploy blues to pull over a Corsa. The Corsa pulled over immediately and the officer got out and approached the car but it sped off.

I expected him to jump in his beemer and pursue but he didn’t. He stood at the side of his car talking on his radio and left the scene a few minutes later.

Why would this be?

oldnpastit

“These are not the droids you are looking for”

Jakester
    Free Member

If it’s in a built up area they need permission before commencing a high speed chase. Or they know where it’s going, or there’s another unit up the road, or there’s a helicopter coming. Could be any one of a number of things.

peekay

Probably saw that the Corsa had a big exhaust, spoiler and some #modified stickers on the rear window, and realised that the BMW would never be able to catch it.

dannybgoode

Do you a) undertake a risky high speed chase or b) radio ahead to your colleagues who are waiting up the road?

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

Not all coppers are pursuit trained.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Not all coppers are pursuit trained.

Surely if he’s driving a BMW with ANPR decals, he’s trained to pursue a fail-to-stop.

maccruiskeen

Surely if he’s driving a BMW with ANPR decals, he’s trained to pursue a fail-to-stop.

He also carries a radio and as you saw – knows how to use it 🙂

matt_outandabout

Do you a) undertake a risky high speed chase or b) radio ahead to your colleagues who are waiting up the road?

I am calling some version of this or similar.

According to pal who is senior traffic officer they end far more ‘pursuits’ simply by waiting at the perp’s address, pulling in front at traffic lights/the parking space in Waitrose, or simply knocking on their door the next day.

I suspect as well that there is risk/benefit assessment going on here – and that they have intelligence on the person driving the Corsa.

fisha
    Free Member

There are different levels of training and authorisation as mentioned regarding the use of blue lights. It depends on the force and their policies. Some may be allowed to use the blue lights to ask a car to pull over compliantly, but not allowed to use the blue lights in any high speed driving or pursuit. ( perhaps the case exampled by the OP ).

Some will be allowed to blue light drive at higher speed to emergency calls as required, to pull over cars and perhaps to initiate a pursuit but not continue being part of it once fully trained / authorised pursuit drivers are present.

Some will be fully pursuit trained … like you see on interceptors or whatever.

As mentioned above, in addition to that, pursuits generally need authorisation/permission to continue from supervisor control … a decision which is constantly reviewed based on the conditions, risks to others etc etc.

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

ANPR decals, he’s trained to pursue a fail-to-stop.

Good friend of mines a copper, she sometimes drives ANPR equipped cars – isn’t pursuit trained.

toby1

If you had seen a child in the car, would you initiate a high speed chase?

Not that this did happen, but it might have.

slackboy

Why would this be?

Because real life isn’t like the Sweeny. People can die as a result of police chases so it isn’t simply a case of firing up the quattro and chasing down the perp

• Police related deaths: road pursuits England/Wales 2019 | Statista

Jakester
    Free Member

pulling in front at traffic lights/the parking space in Waitrose, or simply knocking on their door the next day.

I suspect as well that there is risk/benefit assessment going on here – and that they have intelligence on the person driving the Corsa.

Waitrose? In a Corsa? No, I don’t accept it, simply beyond the realms of credibility.

Unless you meant the staff car park?

franksinatra

The Corsa was a Just Eat delivery heading towards Police station on munchy run, copper was on radio telling his mates that their Indian Set Meal for 4 (plus poppadum’s, free Pepsi Max and special Korma for soft Barry) is now hurrying up.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Jamie Theakston and his film crew were in the bushes having a pee and the copper couldn’t leave them stranded?

matt_outandabout

Waitrose? In a Corsa? No, I don’t accept it

Stirling Waitrose shares the car park with TKMaxx, the derelict Maplin and a wee cut through the less salubrious part of town for a Greggs or fresh trim.

Saves me being accused of classist over Lidl…

scuttler

special Korma for soft Barry

lolz

cookeaa

Why would this be?

IANA Rozzer but I’d have thought it more useful to radio in the vehicle details and it’s location/detection of travel to allow other, potentially better placed resources to respond. Also if it was a built up area/busy time, giving chase is probably against general policy due to the risks posed to members of the public…

Jakester
    Free Member

Stirling Waitrose shares the car park with TKMaxx, the derelict Maplin and a wee cut through the less salubrious part of town for a Greggs or fresh trim.

Is it a franchise?

fresh trim.

Is this a euphemism?

rickmeister

MaxPower Corsa which has been driven through Halfords
    A Radio transmission.

Which is faster?

onehundredthidiot

Because it’s much easier to wipe the “we dun outrun the filth, bruv” grin off their pus by being in front waiting. Also clearer on the video.

matt_outandabout

fresh trim.

Is this a euphemism

It’s a teen thing…

kennyp
    Free Member

Does “deploy blues” mean he put his blue light on?

Klunk
    Free Member

if he’s clocked the driver and it’s not stolen…. does he need to chase it down ? Only things is not being able to breathalyze the driver but i assume any penalty now due is going to be equal or worse anyway.

MSP

He also carries a radio and as you saw – knows how to use it

Delta oscar november uniform golf hotel sierra.

Houns

Donughs?

northernmatt

Delta Oscar Uniform Golf Hotel November Uniform Tango Sierra?

SirHC

He stood at the side of his car talking on his radio and left the scene a few minutes later.

Calling in the Drone/A10 strike.

rickmeister

Doorframe Onanist Unicycle Gruffalo Haemmaroids Nightie Umalumpa Tarrantula Sexpest sounds a lot more fun.

tjagain

the old UK phonetic alphabet was best
    Ack, Beer, cheese etc

Drac

It wasn’t safe to do so for a minor offence therefore he radioed in the details.

MSP

Donughs?

I’m not police certified in radio usage! I failed the snack ordering exam.

footflaps

Calling in the Drone/A10 strike.

It would save a whole load of paperwork and court time etc….

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe he had a tail light out and it wasn’t worth potentially causing a fatal crash over it. This isn’t America (yet).

oreetmon
    Free Member

I’m still chortling at the drones comment😁

grum
    Free Member

It would save a whole load of paperwork and court time etc….

They don’t need punishment…

THEY NEED GUNISHMENT

cookeaa

Does “deploy blues” mean he put his blue light on?

No it means he has to trudge back to his car, open the tailgate pull out his guitar and tell the whole community about his Corsa based woes in song form…

scaredypants

No it means he has to trudge back to his car, open the tailgate pull out his guitar and tell the whole community about his Corsa based woes in song form…

Well, I lolled !

jon1973
    Free Member

Because real life isn’t like the Sweeny.

True. They probably knew where the driver lived and just rolled his drum later.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Why didn’t the police give chase?’ is closed to new replies.