Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • why are insurance such **** ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

commercial van companny folk were 630 third party – so im off to cancel my admiral policy and just take my 1 years current no claims and run

i really would hate to be an insurance sales woman in a call center – it must be hard to keep a straight face when giving some of these quotes.

starseven
    Free Member

Most call centres will operate a "non advice" policy and cant advice because there not qualified. Your van would be fine on most private car policies as long as its use is not commercial.

Really I would go back to admiral and speak to someone else " you are seriously telling me I cannot change the vehicle insured to a small van?". It will either be that they dont cover vans at all (unusual) or they dont want to cover you in the van (occupation or something).

Get someone to explain why you cannot be covered be assertive and get a reason.

If they still wont help take out another policy for your van then apply the NCD from your existing policy when the first policy expires.

You shouldnt sell your car without informing the ins company its in the contract but you can weigh up that risk for yourself.

Overall though you should probably check you insurance prior to buying a new vehicle or accept the consequences.

Jamie
    Free Member

my only crash was when i was rear ended by a clown. wrote his car off mine was fine

I imagine the doors fell off and everything 😉

zokes
    Free Member

try adrian flux

DON'T try Adrian flux-you-up. I recently moved house. Apparently they don't insure at my new post code, so I 'couldn't move'. So now insurance companies can dictate where I live eh? Their offer – cancel my insurance with them for no loss of fees for another quote with another underwriter, at a cost of £400 over the nearest competitor on the internet. When I declined that, they stung me for over £150 in 'cancellation fees' from my refund. What's daft is my new insurers (swiftcover) are cheaper than Flux were at my old place…

Flux wanted over £800 for me to insure my £2500 W-reg Golf GTI. I'm 26 with 7 years NCB. Absolute lunacy – most rep diseasle estates are quicker than that Golf these days…

allyharp

That's a surprising experience with Adrian Flux, Zokes – I've heard plenty of good things about them.

Was your house a new build? That sounds like what might happen when a postcode is too new to be on their system – the system can't calculate an appropriate amount so adds a hefty amount to the premium. I'm surprised a broker couldn't sort it out though; it sounds a more likely situation with a direct insurer.

waynekerr
    Free Member

Give Commercial Vehicle Direct a try. Theyre the cheapest for both our vans.

I was with them for 1 year, then at renewal time they were £250 more expensive then I got quoted for off vancompare.com, can't remember who it's with though

TomB

Worth phoning for van quotes, as often online comparisons assume it's for commercial use. My T5 transporter was cheapest through Budget Van insurance, who accepted my no claims from car driving. However, their 'car' arm wouldn't accept it when I sold the van and went to a people carrier, despite most of the NCB being on cars!

trail_rat
    Free Member

vancompare wouldnt do less than 1000 quid

anyone heard of dealdone ? gocompare pops them up at 399 with 1 years ncb.

ill snap their arm off at that once ive phoned and canceled admiral

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I still say actually "talk" to a real insurance professional, you keep on about these comparison webistes where you can't actually explain anything.

And then later on, you'll slate some guy for buying a wrong bike part from Halfords or Ebay as it was a few pence cheaper than using his LBS….

We can only try and help as you asked, feel free to ignore us…

zokes
    Free Member

Was your house a new build? That sounds like what might happen when a postcode is too new to be on their system – the system can't calculate an appropriate amount so adds a hefty amount to the premium. I'm surprised a broker couldn't sort it out though; it sounds a more likely situation with a direct insurer.

Nope, it's been there 150 years!

I moved from a very rough Welsh village near Bangor to a peaceful village in the West Pennine Moors (5 miles north of Bolton, 8 miles south of Blackburn) where half the locals don't bother locking their doors.

Without doubt it was their underwriters, who wouldn't insure at a Bolton or Blackburn post code at all. That however wasn't my problem, and Swiftcover sorted me out for less than I was paying in Wales. Lost a year's NCB over it too. All the more annoying as I'll have to pay another cancellation fee in June when I emigrate to Adelaide. Conveniently it would have lapsed by itself at the end of June! I suppose however my NCB won't be an issue as I'll lose it by not being insured in the UK for more than 2 years if I come back anyway…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I still say actually "talk" to a real insurance professional, you keep on about these comparison webistes where you can't actually explain anything.

I've never found brokers any more helpful than direct insurance companies, and only marginally more helpful than comparison sites TBH.

epicyclo

Looks like stripping out a people mover is a better option than buying a small van then…

earbyphil
    Free Member

Trail_Rat
    Admiral do offer van insurance but it's with a sub company called Gladiator. I pay £247yr. max NC. very old, and an '06 Transit for private use.

Olly
    Free Member

what size are you looking at getting.
    most vans are availible as "people" versions anyway.
    and are just vans with carpets, and recessed rails for the seats.

i KNOW they are availible in:

Berlingos (and all other clones of)
    Caddys
    Transporters.

having windows also drops your costs for toll roads, as i believe thats the defenition of a van. commercial or personal, they are still more on toll roads.

bite the bullet, and get some net curtains 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

admiral and gladiator policys aint interchangable 🙁

anyway going to take out a budget policy and cancel it once i have my 'NCB and i turn 24 in april .

25 quid to cancel the policy – and 40 quid a month for the insurance

well done to budget for being the most helpful folk of all the insurance companies

then i can take out my policy with 2 years ncb and being 24. ALthough budget said i can take my car ncbs to my van but ill not be able to take them back to a car …..

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘why are insurance such **** ?’ is closed to new replies.