Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • Why are diet fizzy drinks bad for me?
  • emsz
    Free Member

Generally have a can of diet coke or whatever at least every day, but I keep remembering that on here I’ve seen a couple of people say that they are just as bad as the full fat version. Why is that? They have no calories, no sugar!

X

Stoner
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

critics such as activist Betty Martini have promoted claims, undocumented in the medical literature, that numerous health risks (such as multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus, methanol toxicity, blindness, spasms, shooting pains, seizures, headaches, depression, anxiety, memory loss, birth defects and death[6]) are associated with the consumption of aspartame in normal doses. These health risk claims have been examined and debunked by numerous scientific research projects, and are also generally dismissed by governments and major health and food safety organizations

Aspartame has been found to be safe for human consumption by more than ninety countries worldwide,[12][13] with FDA officials describing aspartame as “one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved” and its safety as “clear cut”.[4] The weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe as a non-nutritive sweetener.[7]

druidh
    Free Member

And everything on here is correct?

logical
    Free Member

The sweetners used are worse than sugar. They are, supposedly, a major cause of cancer.

druidh
    Free Member

See what I mean?

trail_rat
    Free Member

the fizz helps decay the enamal off your teeth anorl

swavis

they make you fat

never seen a thin person drinking diet coke have you? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

never seen the point of replacing a natural food [ if refined] with something man made and calling it healthier – guess that is marketing for you.
    No idea re long term risks but it seems odd to decide this is healthier

soobalias
    Free Member

swavis has it. fcat.

emsz
    Free Member

So there isn’t anything I should be worried about, apart from the normal “oh noes, cancer/ aids” stuff that the papers are full of, that are mostly crap anyway

seba560
    Free Member

They’ll make you fart. Loudly.

druidh
    Free Member

FWIW, I prefer the taste of diet coke over the ordinary one.

mattythemod
    Free Member

[/quote]The sweetners used are worse than sugar.

Not if your diabetic .

maccruiskeen

Manufacturers are starting to drop the word ‘diet’ and replace it with ‘sugar free’. When you taste artificial sweeteners your body wants the calories that taste promises so people who drink sugar free drinks have an increased appetite and will eat more as a result.

emsz
    Free Member

The sweetners used are worse than sugar.

In what way?

Druidh, me too and I know I should drink water, but it doesnt taste nice

higgo
    Free Member

When you taste artificial sweeteners your body wants the calories that taste promises so people who drink sugar free drinks have an increased appetite and will eat more as a result.

Myth?
    Or fact?

Got any evidence?

yunki
    Free Member

a tv programme on channel 5 the other night seemed pretty clear on the subject, categorically stating that aspartame is carcinogenic and fattening..

doesn’t bother me cos I like my sugar to be made of sugar

bearnecessities

As a child, I honestly thought ‘sugar free’ meant they weren’t charging you for that particular ingredient.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

They make you a bit gassy, maybe not so bad for you but not so great for everyone else

higgo
    Free Member

a tv programme on channel 4 the other night seemed pretty clear on the subject, categorically stating that aspartame is carcinogenic and fattening..

Any science/scientists involved?

patriotpro
    Free Member

You can’t beat a can of full-fat coke with fish n chips.

emsz
    Free Member

so people who drink sugar free drinks have an increased appetite and will eat more as a result.

Really? I use it to fill me up so I don’t have to eat!!

higgo
    Free Member

They’ll make you fart. Loudly.

They make me belch like a bull walrus.
    Each to their own.

Kryton57

a) The aspartine is bad for you and causes liver issues.

b) The “false” food makes you feel full, and then when you body realises its been tricked tells you to eat more to comepensate.

c) If you manage to resist the outcome of b), your body goes into starvation mode and starts to store fat as an emergency measure.

East proper food with vitamins and nutrients in moderation and do some exercise, the end.

higgo
    Free Member

b) The “false” food makes you feel full, and then when you body realises its been tricked tells you to eat more to comepensate.

c) If you manage to resist the outcome of b), your body goes into starvation mode and starts to store fat as an emergency measure.

Are any of those actually true?

DrP

They are, supposedly, a major cause of cancer.

I love this notion.

Tell obese people they have significantly increased chances of cancer, and they ignore it.
    Tell smokers there is DEFINITELY an associated risk, and they ‘recall’ their mate “one lung Jimmy” who smoked till he was 102.

But possibly have a possible theoretical risk of a food dye perhaps almost being carcinogenic, or fizzy pop causing AIDS, and the whole world stops turning and we simply MUST think of the children’s faces…..

Ha! Madness!

DrP

maccruiskeen

Myth?
    Or fact?

Got any evidence?

Not to hand. Stefan Gates demonstrated it – although the demonstration presumably references other research – with a team of rugby players – giving half the players diet drinks and half full fat drinks at half time in a match then a buffet where they could serve themselves after the match. The diet/sweetner drinkers took and ate larger portions than the sugar drinkers.

kayak23

Supposedly they have the same effect on your blood-sugar-insulin levels as normal sugary drinks, just artificially making your levels spike….should you give a monkeys about such things( GI diet for instance)

This is what I was told in some healthy employee training I did, and I’m not sure it’s true, but I have tried to give up drinking diet Pepsi at work, as I was sometimes getting through about 5 in a working day….

Cougar

You see this:

The sweetners used are worse than sugar. They are, supposedly, a major cause of cancer.

a tv programme on channel 5 the other night seemed pretty clear on the subject, categorically stating that aspartame is carcinogenic and fattening.

… it’s bollocks.

HTH.

higgo
    Free Member

Stefan Gates demonstrated it – although the demonstration presumably references other research – with a team of rugby players – giving half the players diet drinks and half full fat drinks at half time in a match then a buffet where they could serve themselves after the match. The diet/sweetner drinkers took and ate larger portions than the sugar drinkers

Science at its best.

Jamie
    Free Member

Diet Coke 8 packs are half price in Tesco at the mo.

Lovely.

maccruiskeen

Science at its best.

We’re ready to receive your paper 🙂

zilog6128

When you taste artificial sweeteners your body wants the calories that taste promises so people who drink sugar free drinks have an increased appetite and will eat more as a result.

IMO it’s simpler than that. People who drink (diet) fizzy drinks will probably have a sweet tooth and therefore more inclined to eat other sweet foods – which probably will be fattening.

Sounds like you have quite an unhealthy relationship with food. In which case I think a bit of aspartame is the least of your worries.

higgo
    Free Member

Supposedly ….
    This is what I was told ….

Compelling.

Cougar

Stefan Gates demonstrated it – although the demonstration presumably references other research – with a team of rugby players – giving half the players diet drinks and half full fat drinks at half time in a match then a buffet where they could serve themselves after the match. The diet/sweetner drinkers took and ate larger portions than the sugar drinkers.

So, after strenuous exercise, the people who had consumed less fuel earlier required more later? SCIENCE!!

Kryton57

higgo – Member

Are any of those actually true?

Yes, all of them. Its common sense if you think about it?

b) I’ve got loads of sugar/calories to fuel me! Oh, it isn’t working, give me some more.

c) I’m going to be really hungry and die – quick, store some fuel to use later!

organdonor
    Free Member

Sounds like you have quite an unhealthy relationship with food. In which case I think a bit of aspartame is the least of your worries.

This.

ourmaninthenorth

I am not a scientist, but this is a scientific journal.

It may or may not be right.

Anyway emsz, you have no need to worry: pixies don’t get fat.

emsz
    Free Member

Cool, so nothing wrong with a can of diet coke with my lunch, back to the loom programmer!!

binners

How did you know about my mate “one lung Jimmy” DrP

Here’s your answer Emsz. Coke – diet or otherwise – is an American affectation. You need….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opCecHAjzeQ[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Why are diet fizzy drinks bad for me?’ is closed to new replies.